Hardship?

Whiskers301

Lurker
Hello everyone, I'm a developmental at my first facility (level 6 up/down) and still early in my tower training. Recently my wife and I found out that her father's cancer had come back from remission and is getting worse. Obviously she'd like to be nearby to help him since currently he lives with his own mother and she has a hard time helping him get to doctor's appointments and anything else really. We're looking at a hardship but my worry is that the place we would go to is a level 8 tower only and I have basically no experience. Do you think it would be accepted as a hardship, and can a developmental even do a hardship? If so would it be a bad idea to make such a jump before being checked out on tower first? I don't want to go there, possibly fail and then have to move again rendering the whole initial move pointless...

A lot of questions... I'll try to answer them.

1. It fits the criteria for one of the three allowable hardships. Per the slate book...
II. Transfer of an employee to another geographical area, when the employee or employee's spouse is the primary caretaker of a dependent parent, or the medical condition of the parent requires the employee or employee's spouse to relocate. Not all situations of separation from parents will be considered a hardship.

2. Yes, developmentals can hardship.

3. I mean it won't hurt having a little experience, but certifying on the tower portion of a 6 up/down would really only benefit you if you washed from the level 8 tower. During the TRB you'd at least be able to show that you certified through a tower previously and your odds of being retained at a smaller facility vs an FSS would go up significantly.

4. Is the level 8 tower you're looking at the only available FAA facility within 50 miles?

Review Article 99 of the slate book and get with your FacRep if you would like to start the paperwork. You can PM me specifics about the location of where you're trying to get to for a better perspective on the facility/what to expect.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, pm sent!

Worst thing the agency can do is say no or conclude that they do not have an opening for you and even then I think it can be resubmitted after 6 months. Only you and your family know the brevity of the situation. If you do chose to file inundate the agency with proof, reasoning and other source documents. I know someone who was approved and his submission was a massive collection of documents. His train of thought was he would rather over "prove" the need instead of having them be under informed. Don't lie but push the sympathy card heavily if required my source had all kinds of written letters from people involved, doctor, etc... after reviewing the article and talking to you facrep (or regional hardship rep) you should have a good idea of what is considered substantiated and what isn't

Last edited:
Worst thing the agency can do is say no or conclude that they do not have an opening for you and even then I think it can be resubmitted after 6 months. Only you and your family know the brevity of the situation. If you do chose to file inundate the agency with proof, reasoning and other source documents. I know someone who was approved and his submission was a massive collection of documents. His train of thought was he would rather over "prove" the need instead of having them be under informed. Don't lie but push the sympathy card heavily if required my source had all kinds of written letters from people involved, doctor, etc... after reviewing the article and talking to you facrep (or regional hardship rep) you should have a good idea of what is considered substantiated and what isn't

Thanks RL, we'll definitely be talking to his doctor about getting a written letter explaining her father's situation.

I have seen it mentioned on here before but what's the fifty miles thing? I have a friend looking to hardship but the closest facility is 100% staffed...

I have seen it mentioned on here before but what's the fifty miles thing? I have a friend looking to hardship but the closest facility is 100% staffed...

My coworker went to a facility staffed 3 bodies above national average with 2 ready to certify and two on the way in a highly desirable place. Think they are projected like 120%. He was offered two places both above 90%. Anything can happen.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump up an older thread, but my situation is similar to that of the OP's. My wife's father also has cancer that's coming back and we would like to be closer to help take care of him, but the nearest FAA facility that meets Article 99 criteria is 2 to 3 hours away from where they live. It's still much better than being 8 hours away.

Besides what's listed in Article 99 to be included in the package, what other forms should I attach to successfully hardship? I've heard of them just needing a doctor's note, but surely there has to be more.

Thanks!

Father in law isn't covered by the contract. IMO you'd need to make the argument that your wife left you to be near him and you need to follow her. Bonus points if there are dependent children involved. But, try whatever you can.

Father in law isn't covered by the contract. IMO you'd need to make the argument that your wife left you to be near him and you need to follow her. Bonus points if there are dependent children involved. But, try whatever you can.
It is. It's considered immediate family. I've seen this exact scenario approved.

After re-reading the question though, my advice would be to ditch "we would like to be closer" in favor of "it is necessary for us to be closer, and here's the doctors advice supporting that."

It is. It's considered immediate family. I've seen this exact scenario approved.

After re-reading the question though, my advice would be to ditch "we would like to be closer" in favor of "it is necessary for us to be closer, and here's the doctors advice supporting that."
They're cracking down on hardships now with the increase due to NCEPT. He better be prepared to provide copious amounts of documentation.

I believe you will stay at the same pay and grade as long as your pay isn’t above the D2 band at the new facility.

Back
Top Bottom