What is veterans preference?
Qualified veterans may be given preferential treatment when being hired. This applies only to initial hiring into the FAA; it subsequently has no effect or application. Veterans' preference is outlined in Section 2108 Title 5 of the US code. The Department of Labor has a Veterans' Preference Advisor which will ask you a series of questions to determine your eligibility.
What does it mean to buy back my military time?
You may elect to pay a calculated sum back to the government based on your military service length. Time spent in the military and subsequently bought back, will be added to your service computation date (the "effective" date you started working for the FAA used in retirement calculations). It starts at 3% of your total military pay (interest is added after you have been a federal civilian employee for over 2 years, but stops accruing as soon as you start the buy back).
How do I buy back military time?
Please download the file from the resources page, as it contains all the instructions and documents you need.
What will my pay be after being hired?
For non-prior experience hires, there is no extra pay. They standard salary at the academy is $23,547 (2017).
For prior experienced hires required to attend the academy, you will be paid at the AG level with Washington DC locality ($49,029 for 2017). At the facility, pay will be set to the bottom of the lowest developmental level (D1, D2, D3).
Do I earn extra leave?
All federal service counts when calculating how much leave you accrue, including military service. Leave accrues as follows:
- 1-3 yrs service: 4hrs per pay period
- 3-15 yrs service: 6hrs per pay period
- 15+ yrs service: 8hrs per pay period
6hrs/pp come out to 19.5 days of leave a year. Those in this category are given an extra 4hrs at the end of the year to round it to 20 days.
On the job training in the FAA qualifies for the Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bills.
- You can start the GI Bill as soon as you get to your facility. If you went to the academy, you will receive back-pay for your time there.
- You can use it at as many facilities as you want, with the only limitation being the remaining benefits.
- You are paid the BAH rate of E5 with dependent pay for your locality. Use the facility zip code to search for the rate.
- This is only the starting pay rate. It is reduced in accordance with the payment plan
Please see the GI Bill SOP resource for more detailed information.