Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

External Links​

TBD​
TBD​
TBD​

Local Area​

SubHeading​

The current number of CPCs is 68 as of the 14th of May 2016. If anyone has any questions about this facility, feel free to ask.

Have y'all had any success with the prior experience direct to facility hires? Home for me was just down the road from the facility and I have my fingers crossed to end up there. Any info is greatly appreciated!

That well, huh? Lol. After the NATCA message this morning, I'm just ready for any news and to work at any building with FAA written on it! Being back in the south would be nice though!

Well looks like I was wrong. A80, C90, D21, and N90 have all been seen on new offers. When this first started, the facilities had the option of taking new hires or not, however. But that may have changed since I last heard.

RobertB....is the Faa sending A80 OKC grads??????
We are still being sent VRAs. No one from the academy is coming here for the foreseeable future. Another paid move bid is coming out soon or may have even just come out. I've been on vacation so work has been the last thing on my mind.

69 current CPCs
1 of which is on national safety detail forever
1 of which is on a two year TMU detail
1 of which is part time
9 of which are retiring/leaving from now until end of January 2017
Thank God another 4 backed out of leaving this fall (2 D10, 1 to C90, 1 to N90)

How are you guys getting these numbers?
Because they put out a read and initial for people to comment on (controllers always do) and then management completely disregards it and selects or is told who is being transferred. It's trying to make us feel like we have a say when we don't. It's amazing how we can have 12/14 sup spots filled (85.7% staffed) with the 13th spot filled in less than two months from posting of bid until selection/sup showing up... Meanwhile, we are "settling" for people from lower level facilities since management can't get their act together and have a bid for us. Solution? Give every trainee, regardless of background, 300 combined hours on MCN and CSG, 200+ hours on Departure, 200+ on feeder, and 250+ on final!

Those numbers are staggering, but not surprising. It seems like extremely congested, and busy, airspace. It makes sense why you guys need people there (ref other thread). Hell, I would love to go to A80 as my first fac, but I know I would be quickly humbled. Random question, where do most of you guys live that work at A80? I've heard Peachtree City is the place to go for most ZTL controllers.
Peachtree City is nice and the most expensive area in the vicinity of ZTL and A80. Fayetteville (south part) is nice especially along Redwine Road. Senoia is further out and less expensive. Tyrone is good as well and has the quickest interstate access of you want to get to ATL or downtown. Sharpsburg is between PTC and Newnan and has good housing choices. Newnan is the cheapest and also the furthest drive from A80 of the bigger cities around here.

Mid level updowns have the most red tape. Generally they won't have the resources higher facilities have (training support staff, for example). You have to go through all the local classrooms, simulators, etc, where each step introduces delays. You have to wait for, then attend, RTF. Then seasonal or sporadic traffic may come into play. Toss in a bitter sup now and again to really draw things out, and times get out of hand quickly.

over 18 months for anything below an 8 is unacceptable in my opinion, and in general is attributable to bureaucracy and poor management.

All of that makes sense. A buddy of mine is at a level 7 up/down and finished his tower training and non-positional radar positions within 6-7 months (they entered him into ~3 positions at once). He has been waiting around for RTF for the past two months. I can understand the delay in training and I'm not looking forward to it. The good news is that they don't seem to push people through training, unlike the route the wonderful USAF is going.

Peachtree City is nice and the most expensive area in the vicinity of ZTL and A80. Fayetteville (south part) is nice especially along Redwine Road. Senoia is further out and less expensive. Tyrone is good as well and has the quickest interstate access of you want to get to ATL or downtown. Sharpsburg is between PTC and Newnan and has good housing choices. Newnan is the cheapest and also the furthest drive from A80 of the bigger cities around here.

I'm familiar with a lot of those places. My brother lives in Marietta and we vacation there frequently. Does anyone live in the Marietta/Smyrna area or is traffic too much of a hassle? Newnan seems like a nice compromise for cost of living, drive time, and vicinity near downtown.

All of that makes sense. A buddy of mine is at a level 7 up/down and finished his tower training and non-positional radar positions within 6-7 months (they entered him into ~3 positions at once). He has been waiting around for RTF for the past two months. I can understand the delay in training and I'm not looking forward to it. The good news is that they don't seem to push people through training, unlike the route the wonderful USAF is going.

I'm familiar with a lot of those places. My brother lives in Marietta and we vacation there frequently. Does anyone live in the Marietta/Smyrna area or is traffic too much of a hassle? Newnan seems like a nice compromise for cost of living, drive time, and vicinity near downtown.

No one currently working here lives in Cobb County. It would take you over one hour to get to work. I-285 west side is doing a lot of construction. Also, the cost of living north of I-20 is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom