Promoted ATSA exam prep (ATSA PRO) and what to expect

atsapro

The Air Traffic Skills Assessment Exam (ATSA) is the FAA’s aptitude test to prescreen Air Traffic Control Applicants. The exam consists of two parts; part one has games, part two includes a personality test and a reading comprehension section. There is no need to study for the personality portion, just answer honestly and quickly to avoid running out of time. For the reading comprehension part, you will be presented with word problems and random passages that you will have to read/skim through quickly and answer multiple choice questions. Take the time to understand the text, but be mindful, this section is strictly timed.

Part one of the ATSA exam is made up of four games: Differences, Equations, Visual Relations, and Air Traffic Scenario. To demonstrate these games I will be using screen shots from the ATSA prep App "ATSA PRO".

Differences:

Differences will start by presenting a number for a limited time. In this case, a number 3.

Followed by another number, this time a number 4.

A question mark is then shown and your job is to input the difference between the two numbers by pressing one of the options on the right (1-4).

The difference between 3 and 4 is equal to 1. Once you answer, the test will move to the next Round.

As you can see here, the number 8 is displayed in Round 2. Only this time, there will not be a second number shown. The number 8 here, will be followed by a question mark.

To answer, you have to remember the last digit from the previous round; NOT your answer. For example, in Round 1 you were asked the difference between 3 and 4 and the answer was 1. That means the number you have to remember here is the number 4 and not what you answered (1).

The difference between 4 and 8 is equal to 4. The following rounds will be the same; make sure to always keep in mind the last number presented to you in the previous round, NOT the number you answered.

Equations:
In Equations you will be presented with three variables: A=, B=, C=. Each variable is presented individually and for a limited time, same as in the Differences game.

The variables may not be shown in alphabetical order. In the example above you are presented with “C = 1” then “A = 4” and finally “B = C x 4”. This Round only has one equation (B = C x 4). In ATSA PRO you can select to run the game with 2 equations, 1 equation, or values only (ex. A=1, B=2 C=3). Adjust the speed and number of Rounds to learn at your own pace!

Like the variables, the questions may not be presented in alphabetical order, they will look like the picture above. This round came up as "A =", Followed by “C = ?”, and then “B = ?”. In this round the answers will be as follows:

A = 4
C = 1
B = 4 (The equation was “B = C x 4” and we were told that “C = 1” that means
“B = 1 x 4” the answer is “B = 4”

Visual Relationships:
Visual Relationships will test your ability to detect how objects on a map are situated relative to each other.

An image with a Top-down perspective of two planes will appear. A large black aircraft, and one small red aircraft. The objective of the game is to determine whether the small red aircraft is to the right or the left of the large black aircraft. There will be an answer displayed for you, “RIGHT” or “LEFT”. In this Round, “RIGHT” is displayed in the image above. At this point you will answer “YES”, because the small red aircraft is to the right of the larger aircraft.

Like Differences and Equations, this game is also timed. If you do not answer within the time frame, the game will move on to the next image and the unanswered round will be counted as a wrong answer.

TIP: Position yourself in the pilot seat of the large aircraft and that should help you visualize if the red aircraft is to the right or the left.

Examples:

Answer: YES

Answer: NO

In later rounds an eyeball will be introduced to the picture.
When the eyeball is present, look for where the red aircraft is in relation to the eyeball's point of view. Essentially, the eyeball will replace the role of the larger aircraft. In the round above the black aircraft is just a distraction. The answer for the above scenario would be “YES”, because the small red plane is to the left of the eyeball’s point of view.

ATSA PRO will enable you to customize the way you practice by giving you the ability to set a time limit in between questions. From “No Limit” to “Very Short” time limit. Additionally, you can choose to play with different points of view; Large Aircraft, Eyeball, or random.

Air Traffic Scenario:
The Air Traffic Scenario test contains two sections, an Air Traffic Collision section and a Math section.

The Air Traffic Scenario game will test your multitasking abilities. The rules of the game include answering math questions and preventing the numbered balls/planes from colliding. If you spot two planes that are about to collide, simply remove ONE by pressing the number which corresponds to it using the keypad to the right. If you believe no collisions will occur, then press the number "0" to indicate no possible collisions. Once you press "0" you will NOT be able to remove planes until the next round. While doing that, you will also be answering the math questions at the bottom of the screen, with one of the letter options to the left.

The primary goal of this game is to prevent planes from colliding by removing the fewest amount of planes possible. Do not get too caught up on the math questions, stay on task!

The game begins with an easy difficulty level; the speed of the balls/planes will be slow, and volume slow to moderate. As you progress in the game, the volume and speed will continue to increase to a point where collisions are inevitable. Do not give up and remain Focused.

In ATSA PRO you can adjust the speed and difficulty level of the math questions. There are also options to adjust plane speed, volume, and preferred button style along with on screen button transparency.

Exam Day:

•Make sure to be well rested and well fed, the last thing you want is to be hungry and sleepy during this exam.

•Arrive 30 to 40 minutes early, especially if it is your first time. Take into account the time to park and walk to the testing center. Once the exam has begun you will not be allowed in.

•Take a break and regroup yourself once done with the first half of the exam. You will need it for the Reading Comprehension. Trust me.

•Focus on your own work! Just because others finish before you DOES NOT mean they did better than you.

For more detailed instructions check out the App or message us on Facebook or Instagram.

Good Luck!!

Download Now:

Apple App Store

Android Google Play

𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗰𝗹𝗮𝗶𝗺𝗲𝗿:
𝐀𝐓𝐒𝐀𝐏𝐫𝐨 is in no way affiliated with the FAA or the AT-SA exam. It makes no guarantee of passing the AT-SA exam nor does it guarantee employment of any kind. 𝐀𝐓𝐒𝐀𝐏𝐫𝐨 is to be used as an aid to improve aptitude with games that may be similar to the actual AT-SA exam. Use 𝐀𝐓𝐒𝐀𝐏𝐫𝐨 at your own risk.

Attachments

Last edited:

Solja

I feel conflicted. Yeah, it gives everyone a chance to see what’s on the test. But the exam, shows you what to do anyway. And I feel like this would force the FAA to change the exam, but for the last two times I’ve taken the ATSA, there was always that rumor the test will be updated. I never studied/practiced for the ATSA, as well

SIXTY-NINE

I feel conflicted. Yeah, it gives everyone a chance to see what’s on the test. But the exam, shows you what to do anyway. And I feel like this would force the FAA to change the exam, but for the last two times I’ve taken the ATSA, there was always that rumor the test will be updated. I never studied/practiced for the ATSA, as well
Disclaimer: I am not a shill of ATSA PRO or ATC Prep.

I think these programs are the best prep you can do to have a shot of getting BQ. Otherwise you're literally just leaving it to nerves/ twitch-reflex on the day of the exam. If it bothered the FAA so much they'd change it up every year/month. Never used ATSA Pro but I have used ATC Prep.

Kilo popa

Disclaimer: I am not a shill of ATSA PRO or ATC Prep.

I think these programs are the best prep you can do to have a shot of getting BQ. Otherwise you're literally just leaving it to nerves/ twitch-reflex on the day of the exam. If it bothered the FAA so much they'd change it up every year/month. Never used ATSA Pro but I have used ATC Prep.
This is true. If you’re a new higher don’t focus on getting perfect scores on either prep source. Just use it to have a familiarization. But Atc prep def gave me the advantage of not walking and knowing no idea what is going on.

GMX

Trusted Contributor
Letter factory*
Yeah you're right it was Letter not Box. It was so long ago and I was drinking when I posted, but it still gives me nightmares! Running out of boxes and just when you think you're doing well they blank the screen and ask some bullshit. They should have also had different fonts. How many green Ms were there? Which belt? How many were Times New Roman? Arial? Arial bold?

That Letter Factory game looks like a nightmare, but the newer Air Traffic Scenario one can also get a little intense.
I'm sure it can but that Letter Factory was damn hard like an old NES game...like Ghosts n' Goblins or TMNT. It's helpful for you to post for people to have some idea what to expect.

atsapro

I'm sure it can but that Letter Factory was damn hard like an old NES game...like Ghosts n' Goblins or TMNT. It's helpful for you to post for people to have some idea what to expect.
Ha! I had to look that one up (Ghosts n' Goblins) great comparison. Hopefully it helps people, I would love to get some feedback on anything that can be improved.

Last edited:

Kilo popa

I have a couple of OTS hire friends scheduled to take the test. Can anyone that’s used ATSA pro and Atcprep point out the benefits of both? I used ATCprep 6 years ago so I figured It is completely different now.

SIXTY-NINE

I have a couple of OTS hire friends scheduled to take the test. Can anyone that’s used ATSA pro and Atcprep point out the benefits of both? I used ATCprep 6 years ago so I figured It is completely different now.
ATC Prep- Pretty much close to the real ATSA if you tweak the settings enough. Cannot use on mobile.

ATSA PRO- Useful if you want to practice on the toilet or in the car or anywhere you don't want to use a computer. Not accurate to simulate testing conditions because you use a number pad and keyboard for the real ATSA (working on a mobile screen is eh). Not as customizable in settings as ATC Prep but a good mobile solution.

Both don't include the LSAT problems.

Last edited:

Kilo popa

ATC Prep- Pretty much close to the real ATSA if you tweak the settings enough. Cannot use on mobile.

ATSA PRO- Useful if you want to practice on the toilet or in the car or anywhere you don't want to use a computer. Not accurate to simulate testing conditions because you use a number pad and keyboard for the real ATSA (working on a mobile screen is eh). Not as customizable in settings as ATC Prep but a good mobile solution.

Thanks pretty perfectly explained lol

atsapro

Can you give us feedback on the settings you believe we lack in.

atsapro

Just kidding.

Probably the best setting I can suggest is an "ATSA Accurate" difficulty that simulates the test conditions (speed, length, # of problems) as closely as possible.
Okay Thank you, we will take that into consideration.

SkyEye228

Does anyone have specific suggestions for the L-SAT/logic questions? I found some, but they don't seem like the ones that are usually on the exam.

ldejourdan

Lurker
Can you give us feedback on the settings you believe we lack in.
From my experience last year - I spent loads of hours on ATCPrep and breezed through all the sections except the collision scenerio and word problems (I needed longer for the timed word sections). It really helped me. The Air Traffic Scenario settings for ATCPrep need to be on difficult and stay on difficult and that didn't even compare to how fast it was on the ATSA. My scenerios on the ATSA were split second and basically set me up for failure (which is half the point).

brsana

From my experience last year - I spent loads of hours on ATCPrep and breezed through all the sections except the collision scenerio and word problems (I needed longer for the timed word sections). It really helped me. The Air Traffic Scenario settings for ATCPrep need to be on difficult and stay on difficult and that didn't even compare to how fast it was on the ATSA. My scenerios on the ATSA were split second and basically set me up for failure (which is half the point).
did you receive BQ when you tested? also the word problems were they mostly like the ones mentioned on here?problem solving or are they more reading comprehension? trying to get that down but cant seem to get many references to them, i have almost a month to look over everything before i take it though.

SIXTY-NINE

Does anyone have specific suggestions for the L-SAT/logic questions? I found some, but they don't seem like the ones that are usually on the exam.
Just buy a LSAT practice book and do them (reading comprehension ones as well.) It doesn't matter that the problems are exact, it's more about training your mind to work logically that way.

Easybreezybeautiful

Trusted Contributor
did you receive BQ when you tested? also the word problems were they mostly like the ones mentioned on here?problem solving or are they more reading comprehension? trying to get that down but cant seem to get many references to them, i have almost a month to look over everything before i take it though.
There are both LSAT-style logic problems and reading comprehension passages.