Operational Info​

Facility Level History​

Old LevelNew LevelEffective Date
111010/9/2022

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

The facility would be 100% staffed with 58CPC’s on board. It means the facility is projected to be at 84.29% of that 58CPC’s, while the national average of the country will be at 88.21%.

HenryTheAce can confirm nothing changed after the Metroplex redesign but working at D21 requires full room certification. This includes two departure positions, four satellite positions, two feeder positions, three final positions, three monitor positions, and flight data.

D21 is also one of the few remaining tracons that has ATAs who exclusively work flight data.

The tracon is co-located with DTW and connected to the McNamara terminal. This affords you underground parking in the airport ramp (can be used for vacation time) but also requires you to use a security bypass lane and walk through half the terminal to get to work. However if you forget your lunch at home you have lots of food choices.

Who else thinks it would be awesome if they changed the name of this place to D12?
Agreed
HenryTheAce can confirm nothing changed after the Metroplex redesign but working at D21 requires full room certification. This includes two departure positions, four satellite positions, two feeder positions, three final positions, three monitor positions, and flight data.

D21 is also one of the few remaining tracons that has ATAs who exclusively work flight data.
yep full room certification. Positions changed a bit after metroplex. It’s now:
2 departure
3 satellite
4 feeder
3 final
3 monitor

2 ATA’s left. Although they’re day to day lol. They’ll be retiring soon

How many bodies are usually working those positions?
Well recently management has a hard on for splitting stuff since an accident that occurred a couple months ago with a non rated IFR pilot crashing... so you know.. naturally that had to do with workload even though the controller wasn’t busy lol.

it varies but average is 2 sats, 1 jet, 1 feeder, 1 final, and data. During dept banks though there will be 2 jets. During arrival banks they’ll be 2 feeders, 2 finals. If we’re tripping usually 3 feeders and 3 finals. We haven’t ran a trip bank though in over a year

Lot of people are done training. We just certified one yesterday and will have another one done within 2-3 months for sure. Training has been super on/off though with this Covid stuff recently and sadly the whole training department is a dumpster fire per usual.

After this next one certifies we’ll have 8 people in training and 2 inbound this fall from the last NCEPT.

So theoretically there shouldn’t be any delays once we swing back into full training. However there hasn’t been a lab scheduled for a long time and a lot of trainees stuck in limbo between sectors.

Lol can't wait to hear this update.
Cant be any worse than
Lot of people are done training. We just certified one yesterday and will have another one done within 2-3 months for sure. Training has been super on/off though with this Covid stuff recently and sadly the whole training department is a dumpster fire per usual.

After this next one certifies we’ll have 8 people in training and 2 inbound this fall from the last NCEPT.

So theoretically there shouldn’t be any delays once we swing back into full training. However there hasn’t been a lab scheduled for a long time and a lot of trainees stuck in limbo between sectors.
Gotta love a good CPC party, hopefully they get y'all some capri bakery pizza.
Update is alot better than expected, assuming prior STARS experience with some sort of experience people are checking out in under 3 years.. that's a joke.
Still running same sector setup?
Lets pretend I'm a newbie, how do I send you a direct message?

Gotta love a good CPC party, hopefully they get y'all some capri bakery pizza.
Update is alot better than expected, assuming prior STARS experience with some sort of experience people are checking out in under 3 years.. that's a joke.
Still running same sector setup?
Lets pretend I'm a newbie, how do I send you a direct message?
Lol good luck on getting anyone to throw a party at their second facility for checking out. Nobody does them here ?

Yeah training time really depends on how fast ya get through sectors. There’s a lot of downtime usually between positions since they use and abuse you for staffing. We have people that check out in shy of 3yrs and people who are still in training at 7-8yrs….. yes you read that correctly….. 7 f’ing years ?

Same sector setup yep, it’ll stay that way until the next metroplex in who knows how many years. I’ll send you a direct message

I Think about this scene every time I hear of Detroit.

Beavis And Butthead Dancing GIF

Does D21 get academy grads or mostly transfers? I’m military prior trying to land here because I have family here. Do you get any new prior experience controllers? Also, what’s the work schedule like for the average cpc? Thanks.

Does D21 get academy grads or mostly transfers? I’m military prior trying to land here because I have family here. Do you get any new prior experience controllers? Also, what’s the work schedule like for the average cpc? Thanks.
Yeah we’ve gotten a few prior experience military people. We do not get any academy grads because they only send academy grads to level 7 and below places.

Work schedule is typical in the FAA
RDO, RDO, Night, Night, Day/Night, Day, Day/Mid

Your third day is basically a floater either day or night shift (you have a mid shift it’s always a day shift)

Yeah we’ve gotten a few prior experience military people. We do not get any academy grads because they only send academy grads to level 7 and below places.

Work schedule is typical in the FAA
RDO, RDO, Night, Night, Day/Night, Day, Day/Mid

Your third day is basically a floater either day or night shift (you have a mid shift it’s always a day shift)
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the main reason your facility has a low success rate? Did covid inflate the failure rate? Are you guys looking to hire new people from the prior experience bid that was released 3 months ago? I’m just trying to find a way to get there lol or if it’s worth trying to get there.

Back
Top Bottom