DOD Germany (Long Post)

meanjoe

USAJobs Link

DOD Army GS-11, 30% SSR, plus tax free bennies. 3 year rotation can be extended to 5.

Good stuff you MAY be entitled to receive or experience:
-Amazing location: 2 hrs northwest of Munich. 1 hr west of Nuremberg. 2 hrs southeast of Frankfurt. It's country living with city access not too far away; Bavarian half-timber homes and medieval walled cities abound.
-LQA: Pays rent and utilities. Rates can be found on department of state website. We fall under Germany/Other
-Post allowance: a.k.a. COLA, based on income and family status. It fluctuates regularly. See Department of State website for determination of rate.
-Travel opportunities: Fly direct from Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Memmingen, Stuttgart(all within 2 hrs), drive or take a train to your favorite euro city on a weekend instead of burning a week or 2 of leave.
-Commissary/PX privileges, yup don't have to be retired military.
-Gas Card: Pay US prices for fuel, which still suck right now, but are far better than euro prices.
-DOD School for your kids.
-Return rights if you're DOD. (DODI 1400.25, Volume 1230)
-Retained pay if you're above gs 11 step 10. (DODI 1400.25, Volume 536)
-paid move, up to 18k lbs, and travel (with tax caveat below)
-Sweet Schedule: weekends and holidays are generally off, though occasionally we have to open up for a couple hours.
-Not much traffic. No heavy lifting over here. You'll leave here a worse controller than when you arrived, so plan accordingly.
-360 hours leave carry over. Your max carryover gets upped from 240 to 360 and if you hit it, you get to keep it when you transfer back to a dod location. Good luck getting there, leave availability and travel opportunities will ruin your leave accumulation plan.
-10 days of free leave after 2 years. You accrue home leave at a rate of 5 days per year, but can't use it until year 2.
-your spouse may qualify for hiring preference for vacancies for which they are qualified.
-food and drink are better quality and cheaper than us prices. (taco caveat below)

Not so good stuff:

-FLSA Exempt-OT is paid at GS 10 Step 10 or maybe straight pay (I don’t know because I don’t work OT) or take comp time (this happens occasionally). We don't get much of this so NBD, but being exempt has a few other disadvantages worth researching. Please do so.
-no air trafficking to speak of. You simply will not be able to demonstrate those sweet skills you've honed over the years slanging J's. We'll all take your word for it, badass.
-as of 2016 your move counts as income and you will be taxed on it. There is a system in place for reimbursement (RITA), but that counts as income...so you end up out of pocket on this.
-this isn't America. Things are different, most love it, but if you're not flexible or adaptable, you may struggle. It was tough to sit over here, locked down, while y'all were out living your best life and fighting on Facebook. Things are better now.
-Tacos just aren't a thing here. Things I wish I had known.
-If you decide to leave before the end of your rotation agreement (3 yrs) it's gonna be expensive for you.

Disclaimer: I make no claims or guarantees that the above info is correct, accurate, or hasn't otherwise changed or been recalled incorrectly. Do your own research. YMMV.

USAJobs Link

DOD Army GS-11, 30% SSR, plus tax free bennies. 3 year rotation can be extended to 5.

-Amazing location: 2 hrs northwest of Munich. 1 hr west of Nuremberg. 2 hrs southeast of Frankfurt. It's country living with city access not too far away; Bavarian half-timber homes and medieval walled cities abound.
-LQA: Pays rent and utilities. Rates can be found on department of state website. We fall under Germany/Other
-Post allowance: a.k.a. COLA, based on income and family status. It fluctuates regularly. See Department of State website for determination of rate.
-Travel opportunities: Fly direct from Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Memmingen, Stuttgart(all within 2 hrs), drive or take a train to your favorite euro city on a weekend instead of burning a week or 2 of leave.
-Gas Card: Pay US prices for fuel, which still suck right now, but are far better than euro prices.
-Sweet Schedule: weekends and holidays are generally off, though occasionally we have to open up for a couple hours.
-Not much traffic. No heavy lifting over here. You'll leave here a worse controller than when you arrived, so plan accordingly.
-360 hours leave carry over. Your max carryover gets upped from 240 to 360 and if you hit it, you get to keep it when you transfer back to a dod location. Good luck getting there, leave availability and travel opportunities will ruin your leave accumulation plan.
-10 days of free leave after 2 years. You accrue home leave at a rate of 5 days per year, but can't use it until year 2.
-your spouse may qualify for hiring preference for vacancies for which they are qualified.
-food and drink are better quality and cheaper than us prices. (taco caveat below)

Not so good stuff:

-FLSA Exempt-OT is paid at GS 10 Step 10 or maybe straight pay (I don’t know because I don’t work OT) or take comp time (this happens occasionally). We don't get much of this so NBD, but being exempt has a few other disadvantages worth researching. Please do so.
-no air trafficking to speak of. You simply will not be able to demonstrate those sweet skills you've honed over the years slanging J's. We'll all take your word for it, badass.
-as of 2016 your move counts as income and you will be taxed on it. There is a system in place for reimbursement (RITA), but that counts as income...so you end up out of pocket on this.
-this isn't America. Things are different, most love it, but if you're not flexible or adaptable, you may struggle. It was tough to sit over here, locked down, while y'all were out living your best life and fighting on Facebook. Things are better now.
-If you decide to leave before the end of your rotation agreement (3 yrs) it's gonna be expensive for you.

Disclaimer: I make no claims or guarantees that the above info is correct, accurate, or hasn't otherwise changed or been recalled incorrectly. Do your own research. YMMV.

Where were you like 9 months ago when I was throwing applications in to every DOD post? That said... Key West for Illish-slime might not be a bad gig... Keep talking lad.

Where were you like 9 months ago when I was throwing applications in to every DOD post? That said... Key West for Illish-slime might not be a bad gig... Keep talking lad.
"-Return rights if you're DOD. (DODI 1400.25, Volume 1230)"
Why choose one, when both could be possible?

Looking at the USA jobs link, is this something I could apply to from the FAA?

Qualifications​

Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.

• Current Department of Army Civilian Employees Applying to OCONUS Positions
  • Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
  • Excepted Service Overseas Family Member Appointment
  • Family Member Preference (FMP) for Overseas Employment
  • Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
  • Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
  • Military Spouse Preference (MSP) for Overseas Employment
  • Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer I'm assuming this would be you
  • Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
  • Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998

C90 LVL 12, make 200k, paid move 27k. 8% CIP. Unlimited OT. and clubs. So many clubs.....

c90 has a gym, golf course and simulator possibly maybe could be inbound. Also boat club, ski and snowboard club, hockey (shhh), golf club, poker club, sweatshirt club, tracksuit club, come in for 2 hours to help out club, beer club, EEENF club and more.

Come to the FAA side.
I'm not gonna shit on the FAA, I've been there and would consider going back for the right gig, unless the SSR bump happens. This isn't for everyone. Y'all make the big money, have access to all the latest and greatest equipment, deeper pockets, but man y'all go too hard.

"C90 LVL 12, make 200k" Y'all work too hard
"paid move 27k" The army will give you 2 paid moves. 1 here and 1 back
"8% CIP" 30% SSR (possibly 40% if the rumors are true) and 5% ATC Premium. LQA, COLA.
"Unlimited OT" No overtime
"and clubs. So many clubs....." I don't club, I prefer day drinking and in bed by 9. The young single folk club their asses off, stay in hostels and party in legendary places. Budapest, Dublin, Krakow, Brussels...Places I've been in the last several months with bad ass party scenes.

"Come to the FAA side"
I was a CPC. It didn't suck, but if you want to make money you gotta live places where I'm not willing to live or places that are seemingly impossible to get to.

If someone transfers from the FAA what happens after the 5 years? Are you unemployed unless you get picked up for another stateside DOD gig or the FAA?

If someone transfers from the FAA what happens after the 5 years? Are you unemployed unless you get picked up for another stateside DOD gig or the FAA?
Pretty much. I don't know that there is a job guarantee, but you may get placed on the Priority Placement List which gives you priority for jobs, but you don't get many options and pretty much gotta take what is offered. Also, retained pay isn't retained to a second location.

USAJobs Link

Not so good stuff:

Are they actually gonna pull a list on this one?

Are they actually gonna pull a list on this one?
I hope so. One got cancelled last year, but was reposted in august. We hired off of it and need another.
There’s another announcement for Illesheim out now. It’s not for the ARAC hence the slightly lower salary due to the 25% SSR vs 30%SSR tables.

For anyone who’s only been an FAA controller and never a competitive service employee, you’re not eligible for the job

USAJobs Link

Not so good stuff:

Is there any way to transfer back to the FAA after your time in the DOD?

I hope so. One got cancelled last year, but was reposted in august. We hired off of it and need another.
There’s another announcement for Illesheim out now. It’s not for the ARAC hence the slightly lower salary due to the 25% SSR vs 30%SSR tables.
Are you able to hit any sweet mountain bike jumps there tho? Or canoe with your pals?

USAJobs Link

Not so good stuff:

Is the pay retention only for dod to dod(Germany) or does it also apply FAA to dod? And is it only to Germany or pay retention to any dod location from faa?

I thought the ARAC was just a GCA? Specifically there in Germany
Not exactly. It's considered approach control. The GCA is in another building and handled by other controllers. See the other Illesheim USAJobs announcement.
Are you able to hit any sweet mountain bike jumps there tho? Or canoe with your pals?
Tryin ta, I have a sweet commute through the woods to work. It's about 14 miles of dirt each way. I haven't put a canoe in the water since we paddled.
Is the pay retention only for dod to dod(Germany) or does it also apply FAA to dod? And is it only to Germany or pay retention to any dod location from faa?
EDIT: Only to certain DOD overseas locations not all DOD. Definitely look up the pay retention DODI quoted above. It doesn't matter DOD or FAA, it should work the same, at least it has been YMMV. The catch, there's a cap 150% above GS11 Step 10 (about 140ish) AND if you don't have return rights you aren't entitled to pay retention when you leave.

Last edited:
Not exactly. It's considered approach control. The GCA is in another building and handled by other controllers. See the other Illesheim USAJobs announcement.

Tryin ta, I have a sweet commute through the woods to work. It's about 14 miles of dirt each way. I haven't put a canoe in the water since we paddled.

EDIT: Only to certain DOD overseas locations not all DOD. Definitely look up the pay retention DODI quoted above. It doesn't matter DOD or FAA, it should work the same, at least it has been YMMV. The catch, there's a cap 150% above GS11 Step 10 (about 140ish) AND if you don't have return rights you aren't entitled to pay retention when you leave.
I put in for it. Just tell the guy to look for the Key West one XD

I put in for this and did the interview yesterday. I’ll be intrigued to see where the chips fall.

Back
Top Bottom