Air Traffic Control Specialist - Trainee
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATIONFederal Aviation Administration
Air Traffic Organization - ATO
- Accepting applications
Open & closing dates06/24/2022 to 06/27/2022
Salary$32,552 - $33,637 per year
This salary includes locality pay, which will be applicable while attending the FAA ATC Academy.
Pay scale & gradeFG 3
LocationMany vacancies in the following location:
- FAA - Air Traffic Locations, United States
Travel RequiredNot required - The job does not require any travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursedNo
Appointment typeTemporary - Temporary NTE - 13 months
Job family (Series)2152 Air Traffic Control
Air Traffic Control Trainee
This job is open to
Clarification from the agencyOpen to all U.S. Citizens
- This is a developmental Air Traffic Control Specialist (ATCS) position responsible for the safe, orderly, and expeditious movement of air traffic through the nation's airspace. Developmental controllers receive a wide range of training in controlling and separating live air traffic within designated airspace at and around an airport traffic control tower or radar approach control facility, or air route traffic control center.
- As a new ATCS, you will spend your first several weeks of employment in an intensive training program at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK. While attending academy training you will be on a temporary appointment. Academy students receive basic air traffic control training at the FAA Academy, which includes:
- Complete occupational indoctrination including highlights of Federal employment, familiarization with organizational structure & functions, aircraft, air traffic control system, & aviation industry, classroom instruction & workshop exercises relating to the air traffic control system.
- Individuals who do not successfully complete training at the FAA Academy and all other necessary requirements will have their employment terminated.
- Prior failure of FAA Academy training or prior declination of permanent facility placement offer after completing Academy training may constitute a basis for non-selection and/or veterans' preference pass over.
- Upon successful completion of the Academy initial training program & other employment requirements, newly hired controllers will be offered a permanent appointment at an FAA facility with a basic salary of $42,005 plus applicable locality pay based on facility assignment. Applicants with prior ATC experience will have their salary set in accordance with the ATCS Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon conversion.
- Controller-trainees will be paid long-term expense rate (per diem) for Oklahoma City, OK to help offset daily cost of living while attending FAA Academy. FAA will pay for cost of travel in accordance with applicable agency policies.
- As an ATCS you will receive pay increases as you successfully complete the progressive phases of controller training at your assigned facility. The FAA has Air Traffic Control Facilities in every state as well as Puerto Rico, The U. S. Virgin Islands, and Guam. This announcement is open to those applicants willing to work at any FAA Air Traffic Control Facility. Applicant geographic area preferences are for informational purposes only and will not be used in the selection process; however, preferences may be considered at time of placement. Facility placements will be finalized the day following successful completion of Academy training. Declining to select a facility from the list of available facilities will result in termination of employment, as placement will be based upon the needs of the FAA.
- Prior experience or training in air traffic control is not required. If a candidate applies for and is selected under this temporary trainee announcement, all of the employment conditions associated with this FG-3 position will apply, regardless of whether the candidate possesses the specialized experience that would have otherwise qualified him/her under an experienced vacancy announcement.
- Training Requirements: After successful completion of Academy training, the ATCS will enter the appropriate phase of field training as determined by the assigned facility to prepare for advancement to the Certified Professional Controller (CPC) level. They must learn the skills needed for operation at higher levels of responsibility.
- Successful certification at assigned FAA facility is required. Failure to certify will result in separation, demotion or reassignment.
Conditions of Employment
- Review the Additional Information Section of this vacancy announcement for important information regarding your COVID vaccine status.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Designated or Random Drug Testing required.
- All applicants must pass the Air Traffic Skills Assessment (AT-SA) Exam.
- Minimum qualifications required for all positions, additional eligibilities required based on Pool election.
- If eligible for Pool 1, may elect consideration for Pool 2; but not both.
QualificationsALL CANDIDATES MUST MEET ONE OF THE 5 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OUTLINED IN THIS SECTION. ADDITIONAL POOL ELIGIBILITIES ARE REQUIRED BASED ON SPECIFIC POOL ELECTION. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND CONTACT AVIATION CAREERS PRIOR TO ANNOUNCEMENT CLOSE DATE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.
You may qualify in 1 of the following 5 ways:
- TO QUALIFY BASED ON PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE WORK EXPERIENCE: applicants must document 3 years of full time (40 hours per week) progressively responsible experience. Most types of paid or unpaid employment will provide progressively responsible experience as the individual doing the work learns about the organization, gains knowledge about the work, and demonstrates responsibility. OR
- TO QUALIFY BASED UPON EDUCATION: applicants must document a full 4-year course of study leading to a Bachelor's degree. Schools must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. If qualifying based on education, applicants must submit a copy of the transcript which includes, the name of the institution, quarter or semester hours earned and/or confer date. (CTI to be eligible for Pool 1, the transcript must reflect the confer date and you must also provide appropriate CTI recommendation) OR
- TO QUALIFY BASED UPON THE COMBINATION OF BOTH WORK EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: The applicant's total qualifying experience is converted to a percentage of the experience required then the applicant's education is converted to a percentage of the education required. The combined percentages must equal 100%. At the undergraduate level, successfully completed education that has not led to possession of a degree is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. For example, 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduate education. For study at a business or technical school, 36 weeks of study (20+ classroom hours per week) is comparable to 1 academic year above high school. OR
- TO QUALIFY BASED ON SPECIALIZED WORK EXPERIENCE AS AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SPECIALIST:applicants qualifying based on specialized experience must provide supporting documentation that verifies this requirement has been met (e.g., FAA certificate, military certificate or training record). OR
- TO QUALIFY BASED ON ALTERNATIVE REQUIREMENTS: applicants must provide supporting documentation that verifies at least one of the following alternative requirements being met: a. Do you hold or have held an appropriate facility rating and have actively controlled air traffic in civilian or military air traffic control terminals or centers? b. Do you hold or have held an FAA certificate as a dispatcher for an air carrier? c. Do you hold or have held an instrument flight rating? d. Do you hold or have held an FAA certificate as a navigator or have been fully qualified as a Navigator/Bombardier in the Armed Forces? e. Do you have 350 hours of flight time as a copilot or higher and hold or have held a private certificate or equivalent Armed Forces rating? f. Have you served as a rated Aerospace Defense Command Intercept Director?
- Successful candidates must be able to speak English clearly enough to be understood over radios, intercoms, and similar communications equipment.
POOL 1 - All U.S. Citizens who also meet the following Pool 1 eligibility criteria:
Applicants MUST meet one of the following criteria (1, 2, OR 3) listed below, and MUST provide supporting documentation (see Required Documents and Education sections) in order to be eligible for consideration in Pool 1.
1. A graduate from an institution participating in the Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI) program and who has received from the institution an appropriate recommendation. MUST SUBMIT: (1) official/unofficial transcripts showing degree confer date AND (2) the appropriate recommendation letter from the school. All supporting documentation must be received prior to the close date of this vacancy.
2. A veteran eligible for a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) pursuant to section 4214 of Title 38 and can provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days from the announcement closing.
3. An eligible veteran maintaining aviation experience obtained in the course of your military experience and/or entitled to veterans' preference (must meet eligibility requirements in section 2108 of Title 5, United States Code) and can provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days from the announcement closing.
NOTE for 2 & 3: MUST SUBMIT: DD-214 with character of service in block 24 OR written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the close date this announcement. Applicants who are not within 120 days of separation will be assessed as non-preference eligibles.
Please see the Required Documents section for supporting documentation requirements.
POOL 2 - All U.S. Citizens
Pool 2 applicants are all other U.S. Citizens not meeting the requirements for Pool 1, OR Pool 1 eligibles who elect to be considered for Pool 2.
Pool 2 applicants do not have an option to elect to be considered for Pool 1.
Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) eligible applicants:
- Disabled veterans; or
- Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; or
- Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; or
- Recently separated veterans (defined as; within the last 3 years).
In addition to meeting the criteria above, eligible veterans must have been separated under honorable conditions (i.e., the individual must have received either an honorable or general discharge). Please also see the section 'All Veterans' at the bottom of this vacancy for further documentation requirements for Veterans.
- Entrance on Duty Requirements (EOD): If you do not complete all of the pre-employment requirements within 60 days from the date of the Clearance Instruction Letter (CIL), you will be removed from the hiring process for this vacancy. If you are a current military member in active duty service, you must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, or written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the close date of the announcement.
- Age Requirements: A maximum age of 30 years is established for initial entry into air traffic control positions covered by Public Law 92-297. Persons who have reached their 31st birthday may not be originally appointed to these positions. If experience was gained as a civilian ATCS with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or Department of Defense (DOD), you must have been hired prior to age 31. Please see the Required Documents section of this announcement for further information on specific documentation that MUST be provided if you were previously hired by the FAA or DOD prior to the maximum entry age for this position.
Applicants who are using education as a qualifier must submit a copy of the official/unofficial transcripts to substantiate all credit hours and/or confer date.
Applicants qualifying based on Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI) education must submit a copy of the official/unofficial transcripts to substantiate all credit hours and/or confer date AND an appropriate recommendation letter or endorsement certifying the individual would have met the CTI requirements in effect as of December 31, 2013 for an appropriate recommendation. ***CTI applicants: To be eligible for Pool 1, your transcripts with confer date and appropriate recommendation letter must be submitted prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement, and the confer date must be prior to announcement close date. An appropriate recommendation letter is not a personal recommendation. This letter must be on official CTI school letter head, signed by the designated CTI point of contact and certify/endorse that all CTI program requirements have been met (or would have been met effective as of 12/31/13).
Preview Job Questionnaire
Make sure your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications and answers to the job questionnaire.
Additional informationWe may use this vacancy to fill other similar vacant positions.
Position may be subject to a background investigation.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
The person selected for this position may be required to file a financial disclosure statement within 30 days of entry on duty. FAA policy limits certain outside employment and financial investments in aviation-related companies. www.faa.gov/jobs/working_here/financial_disclosure_requirements
The U.S. Department of Transportation strives to ensure that equity, transparency, accountability, collaboration, and communication permeate all that we do for the betterment of the Department, the traveling public, and our nation. As such, DOT values a highly diverse workforce of persons who promote a culture of belonging by respecting the personal dignity and worth of each individual and fostering a positive environment where all feel safe and welcome. If these commitments coincide with your personal ideals and professional aspirations, please consider joining the DOT family.
If selected, you will be required to provide information regarding your COVID-19 vaccination status for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
This position is covered by the Department of Transportation's Drug and Alcohol Testing Program. Any applicant tentatively selected for this position will be subject to pre-employment or pre-appointment drug screening. Persons occupying a "testing designated position (TDP)" will be subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
- All applicants found qualified for the position will be required to complete the Air Traffic Skills Assessment (AT-SA).
- Travel to & from testing locations will be at the expense of the applicant.
- Most recent ATSA results will be utilized for referral, regardless if they are higher or lower than previous score.
- Candidates referred and tentatively selected for ATCS positions will be randomly assigned to either the En Route or Terminal track. Prior ATCS experience will not be factored when determining track assignments.
- Requirement for pre-employment medical clearance: Applicants selected for ATCS must pass a medical exam that includes psychological screening prior to appointment. Applicants with prior mil. service are encouraged to obtain a sealed copy of their mil. medical records prior to discharge and to retain these records to be provided upon request if selected.
- Requirement for security clearance: This position requires an Access National Agency Check and Inquiry with Credit (ANACI) or higher prior to appointment unless a waiver is obtained.
- Requirement for nonstandard duty hours or workweek: Incumbent may be required to work irregular duty hours or a nonstandard work week or tour of duty.
This position is eligible but not in a bargaining unit.
Links to Important Information: Locality Pay , COLA
How You Will Be EvaluatedYou will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT: Applicants may be rated on the extent and quality of experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position(s). All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated. Ensure that your application package/resume supports your responses.
Required DocumentsApplicants qualifying based on education, including Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI) must submit a copy of the official/unofficial transcripts to substantiate all credit hours and confer date. CTI applicants must also submit an appropriate recommendation letter or endorsement certifying the individual would have met the CTI requirements* in effect as of December 31, 2013 for an appropriate recommendation. *Please see the Education section for more information.
Applicants who have previous 2152 experience and are past the maximum entry age of 31, MUST provide a copy of a Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) that verifies original appointment to the civilian 2152 occupational series prior to reaching the maximum entry age of 31. This would be the initial Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50/new-hire action into the 2152 series) received from your servicing Federal Human Resources office.
If you do not have a copy of your initial Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50/new-hire action into the 2152 series), you can request it through the National Personnel Records Center at the following link: Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access
All Veterans: If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit either a DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 Copy or equivalent), or a document from the armed forces certifying that within 120 days you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions. If you are claiming 10 point preference, you must also submit a completed SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference, and supporting documents outlined on the SF-15. Documents must be uploaded or faxed to the Servicing Human Resource Management Office listed in this announcement and all documents must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you fail to submit documentation, you will be assessed as a non-veteran.
If you are claiming 10 point preference but fail to submit the supporting documents outlined on the SF-15, you will be tentatively assessed as a 5 point preference eligible provided your DD Form 214 reflects that you have the service required to qualify for preference. Documents must be uploaded or faxed to the Servicing Human Resource Management Office listed in this announcement and all documents must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you fail to submit documentation, you will be assessed as a non-veteran.
Veterans currently on active duty claiming veterans' preference: You will be granted tentative preference if you submit a document from the armed forces certifying that within 120 days you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions and your application shows that you have the required service. Prior to being appointed, you must provide to the Servicing Human Resource Management Office a DD Form 214 documenting discharge/release and showing that the service was honorable or general. If you are on terminal leave, you must provide documentation certifying authorized terminal leave.
- SF-15 : Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to ApplyApplications will be accepted online until 11:59PM Eastern Standard/Daylight Time on the closing date of the job opportunity announcement (JOA).
You must apply online to receive consideration. Your application must have a status of "Received" by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the Close Date for it to be accepted. If you are applying for positions associated with FAA registers, your application must have a status of "Received" each time a referral list is created in order to receive consideration for positions associated with register.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR WORK EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION.
We strongly encourage applicants to utilize the USAJOBS resume builder in the creation of resumes.
Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Job Title (include series and grade if Federal Job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month and year (e.g. June 2007 to April 200
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
You may upload completed documents to your USAJOBS Account. This will provide you the opportunity to utilize the uploaded information again when applying for future vacancies. Please see this guide, Document Upload Guide, for more information on uploading and re-using the documents in your applications.
Agency contact information
Phone1 (405) 954-4657
Federal Aviation Administration
Aviation Careers Branch
6500 S. Macarthur Blvd, HQ Room 139
Oklahoma City, OK 73169
Learn more about this agency
Next stepsOnce we receive your complete application, the Human Resources Office will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications. Eligible and qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for consideration. You will be contacted directly if selected for an interview.