GI Bill and transferring

ZO

Trusted Contributor
I ♥ pointSixtyFive
Looking for some guidance. Transferred from terminal to terminal, and the VA/Facility are stating that benefits drop to the 80% because it is terminal to terminal. If it were terminal to enroute, I would start at 100% again. Multiple people prior to me started at 100% in similar situations.

Any resources I can look at to prove/disprove this? The SOP doesn't state percentages only eligibility.

Thanks.

I transferred terminal to terminal to terminal and it started back up at 80%. Used 6.5 months at first facility (5 twr), didn't use at second (8 up/down), and used at third (12 tracon) and they started me at 80%. The person who did it for me at my current facility couldn't reach anyone at my first facility. They turned in the paperwork without mention that I had previously used it, and the VA still started me off 2 weeks into 80% because their records showed how much I used.

The VA says the percentage doesn't reset from changing facilities.

I talked to the attorney that NATCA has when I emailed [email protected] because I brought up how there are many that believe the benefit goes back to 100% when you transfer. Per the attorney, what the VA says is right. That there have been people that managed to get 100% again but the VA has gone after some of those people and required them to repay what they shouldn't have gotten.

I tried to fight this battle too. Used the MGIB years ago at a small up/down. Now using the post-9/11 at a TRACON. Other trainees here are at 100%, I’m at 20%. Got several others involved, letters, appeals, you name it. Mark Herrington (I could be wrong on the name, I’ll double check when I go back to work) is the GI Bill coordinator/administrator person for the FAA. He has lots of good resources on MS Teams if you join the group. Ultimately the VA will not start you back at 100%. If they do, you are liable to pay them back if they catch it on an audit

I tried to fight this battle too. Used the MGIB years ago at a small up/down. Now using the post-9/11 at a TRACON. Other trainees here are at 100%, I’m at 20%. Got several others involved, letters, appeals, you name it. Mark Herrington (I could be wrong on the name, I’ll double check when I go back to work) is the GI Bill coordinator/administrator person for the FAA. He has lots of good resources on MS Teams if you join the group. Ultimately the VA will not start you back at 100%. If they do, you are liable to pay them back if they catch it on an audit
Lame. Appreciate the info, I got a letter from the VA the other day that I'll be starting at 40%. 100% sounds a lot nicer in california.

It sucks we’re held accountable and need to pay back someone’s mistake. The incompetence of the VA will never be adjusted, and it’s sad. Instead of firing the VA employee who messed things up, the VA goes after the veteran by asking them to repay.

Back
Top Bottom