Hamid Ghaffari (declined nomination)

GulfCharlie

Comrade Commissar
FAA
Facility
Command Center
Hamid Ghaffari is serving his third term as Western Pacific Regional Vice President of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association after spending his entire 16-year FAA career as an air traffic controller at Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center (ZLA). Ghaffari served as local NATCA chapter president of ZLA from 1997-2005 after working his way up the union ranks there as area representative and facility vice president.

His NATCA experience includes training completion in facility representation and basic and advanced arbitration, and he also served on the NATCA Western Pacific Region's executive council and labor relations teams.

(Updates coming soon)

Update 1 from Hamid.

NATCA Friends,

Almost two weeks ago, I responded to a member on why I was considering a run for the position of NATCA President or EVP. One of the main reasons for me is what I have determined to be a pattern of a lack of transparency and accountability by our current President with the National Executive Board, as required by Article IV, Section 4 of the NATCA National Constitution.

In doing some research, it has become apparent to me, based on the attached Congressional testimony, that NATCA was involved in the very creation of the idea to remove the Air Traffic Organization from the Government in 2013. This was well before the Convention Body voted in 2014 in Minneapolis to remove the word “Privatization” from PSC-2, thereby allowing the NEB to “explore all potential options” with regards to a stable funding stream for the operation of the Air Traffic Organization.

I personally briefed hundreds and hundreds of NATCA members on how Congressman Shuster came to NATCA wanting to do something bold and transformational with FAA Reauthorization. I also briefed our members that all NATCA wanted to do was to be “in the room” to help shape the outcome of any discussion.

Well, according to Congressional testimony, our leadership had already been exploring “all potential options” almost a year earlier with the Business Round Table in 2013.

“In response, A4A, NATCA, and AOPA all requested new discussions with the BRT working group, and at a meeting in the BRT conference room in May 2013, leaders of all three groups told us that a nonprofit, stakeholder-governed corporation similar to Nav Canada was their preferred option”.

I find this deeply troubling that I was briefing NATCA members with information provided to me that appears to be contradicted by Congressional testimony.

I am submitting the following testimony before Congress by Robert Poole (who had never been a friend of NATCA due to his fervent support of privatization). As well as the language from the 2014 MSP Convention booklet, R14-11 amending PSC-2 for comparison.

I believe that it’s important to share this information with our delegates, alternates, and members before the PHL Convention as we will be discussing at least one resolution dealing with privatization/contracting out. I would urge all of you to review the testimony and reach your own conclusions.

https://transportation.house.gov/…/2017-05-17_-_poole_testi…

Testimony of Robert Poole on May 17, 2017 before the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee

Where the Corporation Proposal Came From
Contrary to what some opponents imply, this proposal did not originate with the major airlines. The Business Roundtable (BRT) working group, which began in mid-2011, had reached consensus on corporatization by April 2012. At that point, Gov. Engler and several working group members (including me) gave a briefing to senior officials of Airlines for America (A4A) at their offices. The reception we got was cool, at best. I got the sense that no one there wanted to re-start the battles that had raged several times in the previous two decades over earlier proposals for either corporatization (1990s) or a shift to ATC user fees and revenue bonding (2000s).

The BRT group went back to work, but held off on other stakeholder briefings in 2012, due to this non-enthusiastic reaction from one of the most important groups. But everything changed in spring 2013. The key event was the budget sequester, which imposed furloughs on controllers, closed the FAA Academy, and threatened the closure of 189 contract towers. In response, A4A, NATCA, and AOPA all requested new discussions with the BRT working group, and at a meeting in the BRT conference room in May 2013, leaders of all three groups told us that a nonprofit, stakeholder-governed corporation similar to Nav Canada was their preferred option. It was only after some further work by the BRT working group over the summer of 2013 that Gov. Engler and several working group members briefed Chairman Shuster on its recommendations, and received an enthusiastic response.

R14-11 Authors: National Executive Board
AMEND PSC-2 Contracting Facilities: The National Office shall spare no reasonable expense in the protection, continuation, and growth of all bargaining unit positions, and shall offer all lawful resistance to out-sourcing, privatization or contracting out.

Rationale: NATCA has remained steadfast in the belief that air traffic control should not be outsourced or contracted out and has consistently viewed an Executive Order declaring Air Traffic Control to be inherently governmental as the vehicle for ensuring this. Throughout the years however, the lack of a stabilized funding stream and the economic gamesmanship in Washington has cast serious doubts as to ability of the current Government governance model to act in the best interests regarding continued growth and stability of the system. While NATCA should continue its opposition to out-sourcing and contracting out of bargaining unit positions, the political will for serious solutions is rapidly growing and NATCA must be involved, from exploration to implementation. As part of the discussions, other nation’s Air Navigation System Providers (ANSP) are being studied and explored, including those which employ some measure of privatized governance. To that end, the NEB has passed a resolution, for delegate consideration, outlining the necessary latitudes and protections for our participation in the process. While that NEB resolution fits into the confines of the Constitution and By-Laws, in order to afford the ability to fully explore all potential options, the NEB recommends the deletion of “privatization” from PSC-2.

This email went out from Hamid to the NWP

Hi NATCA Friends,

Last week, I shared Congressional testimony with many of you as we prepared to have discussions at our 2018 PHL Convention regarding several “privatization” resolutions. The Congressional testimony indicated that NATCA was having discussions about privatization and alternate sources of funding in 2013 and that we went to Congressman Shuster with a plan to remove the ATO from the Government.

The testimony by Robert Poole indicated that this was done well before the 2014 MSP Convention in which the supreme body of NATCA granted our leadership the ability to be “in the room” and be engaged on these types of discussions. This testimony became the basis of a rebuttal provided by NATCA Leadership on Day-2 of the 2018 NATCA Convention. The Congressional testimony was referred to as “Fake News” by our President and Robert Poole was accused of lying as part of his Congressional testimony when he stated:

“The key event was the budget sequester, which imposed furloughs on controllers, closed the FAA Academy, and threatened the closure of 189 contract towers. In response, A4A, NATCA, and AOPA all requested new discussions with the BRT working group, and at a meeting in the BRT conference room in May 2013, leaders of all three groups told us that a nonprofit, stakeholder-governed corporation similar to Nav Canada was their preferred option. It was only after some further work by the BRT working group over the summer of 2013 that Gov. Engler and several working group members briefed Chairman Shuster on its recommendations, and received an enthusiastic response”.

As part of this rebuttal, leadership played a video of me from the October 2014 MSP Convention in which I was speaking in favor of R14-11.

R14-11 Authors: National Executive Board

AMEND PSC-2 Contracting Facilities: The National Office shall spare no reasonable expense in the protection, continuation, and growth of all bargaining unit positions, and shall offer all lawful resistance to out-sourcing, privatization or contracting out.

The video served as a great reminder for me. It further reinforced my strong beliefs that we should be “in the room” and part of any discussions that impact the future of our membership and our aviation professions. Additionally, I stated that, “if we don’t do what you want us to do, then vote us out”.

I continue to support what I spoke of in 2014, that we should be “in the room” and part of the discussions. However, I do have serious concerns with the narrative provided to me and other NEB members that Congressman Shuster came to us wanting to do something “bold” and “transformational” when it appears that NATCA pitched the idea to him as part of the referenced Business Round Table discussions in May 2013.

As part of the timeline discussion on Day-2, leadership stated that a NEB working group was put together to research various Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSP) on or about Jan. 2014. Bryan Zilonis was on this workgroup. Bryan stated that one of their objectives was to research and study the funding model being used by Canada. It would certainly be deeply concerning if NATCA leadership had already advocated for a particular funding model before the NEB workgroup even had an opportunity to research other ANSPs.

As part of the Day-2 privatization timeline and the associated narrative provided by NATCA Leadership, it was unequivocally stated that NATCA had NOT advocated to have the ATO removed from the government or any singular ANSP (Air Navigation Service Provider) model to any entity prior to the MSP 2014 Convention and that Robert Poole had misspoke/lied to Congress.

Without passing any judgments regarding the narrative provided to the 2018 NATCA PHL Convention attendees, I offer you the following information. Please review and use your own capacity for independent thought to reach your own set of conclusions on whether the narrative provided in PHL was accurate or not:

Governor John Engler’s Oral Testimony at House Transportation Hearing Nov. 18, 2014

John Engler's Oral Testimony at House Transportation Hearing | Business Roundtable

In the U.S., the FAA’s own Management Advisory Council recently studied the same issues. Their final report in January 2014 made three unanimous recommendations:

· First, remove all air traffic control funding from the federal budget, so that aviation users would pay directly for air traffic control services, and allow that revenue stream to be bonded.

· Second, create a governing board of aviation stakeholders—not just to advise on technology decisions but to actually set the priorities for management and modernization.

· Third, separate the operation of the air traffic control system from the FAA safety regulator. This will establish independent, arm’s-length safety regulation, the kind that currently applies to all the other actors in U.S. aviation.

FAA and Aviation Policy Reform: Now is the Time - PDF

FAA Management Advisory Council Report dated Jan. 29, 2014 (Paul Rinaldi is a member of the FAA MAC. The MAC report comes out on the same month that the NEB selected a workgroup to study other Air Navigation Service Providers)

2012 (Page 5): Speaks to AOPAs involvement

3. External interests begin hearing of the MAC’s work and members decide to prioritize engaging FAA stakeholders. Accordingly, Ed Bolen (NBAA) and Craig Fuller (AOPA) were invited in to discuss their views of financial and policy reform. Following the meeting, MAC members prioritize outreach with a focus on air traffic service delivery and NextGen (the areas of common ground).

(Page 21):

Industry Members of the FAA MAC Unanimously Agree on this Future Path

1. Create a sustainable financial future for the FAA: The most important goal is to establish a funding system that provides dedicated and sufficient user‐based revenues to pay for FAA obligations. MAC members believe that general fund support for the aviation industry should be phased out as soon as possible in order to insulate the agency and the provision of user services from day‐to‐day politics.

2. Separate a new commercialized Air Traffic Organization (ATO) from the FAA: Modeled after other Air Navigation Service Providers (such as NAV CANADA), separate the service‐oriented ATO from the FAA and appoint a board consisting of users and aviation stakeholders to oversee its work. MAC members strongly believe that ATO reform must be accompanied by overall aviation policy reform due to the links between policy and funding decisions.

3. Assess and codify FAA Authorities and programs: Simplify statutes, regulations and policy by reviewing existing rules and procedures and eliminating redundant regulatory oversight. MAC members believe that this process will result in significant savings to the FAA and will obviate the need for a near‐term increase in user revenues after the phase‐out of general fund support.

4. Reform the tax structure: Eliminate the current mix of AATF taxes and fees and replace it with transparent schedules of cost‐based fees that provide sufficient funding for services such as air traffic control and aircraft certification. MAC members believe that new schedules should be (1) “revenue neutral” and (2) flexible in their administration in order to gain the confidence of stakeholders and facilitate the transition to a new system.

Elections are about choice. Please educate yourself on the issues and exercise your right as a union member to elect someone that shares your goals, values, and vision for the future.

Last edited:
Dear NATCA Friends,

I am extremely humbled and honored by your calls, texts, FB messages, emails, and personal discussions urging me to accept the nomination for President or Executive Vice President. As I have previously stated, I do not take running for office lightly. I can unequivocally state that this has been a very difficult few weeks for me, my family, and some of my closest friends as I have deliberated on the choice of whether to accept one of the nominations.

I am a fervent believer in applying trust, honor, and integrity to the ethical and moral choices that I make not only in my personal life but also in my professional life. I made a conscious choice not to run for re-election as the Western Pacific Region Vice President due to my ethical and moral belief that I should only consider running if I can finish my term. This truly has been the biggest challenge for me. Whether I should heed the various calls to accept the nomination by friends and supporters or succumb to my own personal ethics.

I have spent the past few weeks speaking to close friends, Facility Reps, NATCAvists, and my family. Thank you all for your patience and understanding. I have spent a considerable amount of time reflecting on all the various discussions and weighing what’s best for my family and my own sense of ethics and morality, while also considering the calls of the many NATCA members who have asked me to accept one of the nominations and give them a choice in the upcoming election.

Sisters and brothers, when all is said and done, what is most important in life is family, friendship, and honor. While I’m humbled and honored by the heartfelt words of encouragement and support, I cannot accept either nomination due to my ethical and moral belief that I should be able to complete the full term of office.

I commit to you that I will remain active and engaged in our upcoming election process to ensure that we have an educated membership casting their ballots for leaders that share their goals, values, and vision for the future.

Semper Fidelis,
Ham Ghaffari
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

Much respect to Hamid, best wishes to you brother.

Back
Top Bottom