HCF

Just curious about HCF here. I want to go there in next few years, but don't want to do any center puke work. Do they have terminal and center independent of each other as far as staffing goes?

This posting has guaranteed you to get a center track if you get there. It’s just going to happen. The FAA is all about irony

is the paychart accurate for hcf on this website?

Looks like they added the COLA and locality in there. Keep in mind, Hawaii is one of the few places with COLA left and it has different tax and retirement implications.

The pay is correct on the chart. Every year, COLA is being phased out little by little since it screws HCF in retirement (not calculated into high-3). Smart move to get rid of it ultimately. I believe that for every 1% COLA to be dismantled, they are given slightly more in locality than the 1%. Makes sense that the extra portion of a percentage may be designed to offset the taxes paid on Locality pay vs no taxes on COLA??? It will take a LONG time to completely phase out COLA. There is a schedule online somewhere that states what the ZERO date is for it.

Where do people live? It seems like the cost is for living is extremely high. Even with level 11 pay, I can't imagine how people afford to live there!

The pay is correct on the chart. Every year, COLA is being phased out little by little since it screws HCF in retirement (not calculated into high-3). Smart move to get rid of it ultimately. I believe that for every 1% COLA to be dismantled, they are given slightly more in locality than the 1%. Makes sense that the extra portion of a percentage may be designed to offset the taxes paid on Locality pay vs no taxes on COLA??? It will take a LONG time to completely phase out COLA. There is a schedule online somewhere that states what the ZERO date is for it.

COLA is not phased out yearly it only decreases when locality increases. Phasing out COLA has actually worked against us. Every time Locality gets an increase COLA gets an equal decrease. This includes the presidential raises so when the rest of the country actually gets a raise through an increase in locality our pay does not see an increase. While COLA did not get counted into our high 3 we were better off with it then with a higher locality as we have missed out on several "raises" through the increase of Locality.

Where do people live? It seems like the cost is for living is extremely high. Even with level 11 pay, I can't imagine how people afford to live there!

If your single most have roommates, and live in the Honolulu area. Several of others have left their families in the mainland while they certify. While everyone financial situation is different it seems that most controllers that own their homes lives on the west side of Oahu in the Ewa, Kapolei, Makakilo area.

Would anyone at HCF or someone with info on their operations be willing to answer a few questions for me. Mainly I am curious what I could expect on the terminal side of things, I'm currently a tower only CPC.

Bumping this thread for some current info, thinking about putting into HCF on the next NCEPT. Does the “training track” still apply, with ERRs from terminal getting put into the “up/down” training/working track?

What’s the chances of an AG getting placed here for terminal? My family lives here and I’d like to get close to them again. Any ideas?

What’s the chances of an AG getting placed here for terminal? My family lives here and I’d like to get close to them again. Any ideas?
Unless your spouse is a controller there, or you have a special someone with a lot of power who can pull some nepotistic wizardry, you have zero chance of going there out of the academy.

Not sure about now but guy I work with went graduated terminal in summer 2018 and said he was asking the placement guy for ITO or OGG and they wouldn't do it but said if he passed, he could get him to HCF. He didn't want HCF though. Not sure if that's 100% the truth or not but it's worth asking. His address before the academy was in Maui though where it sounds like only your family was in Hawaii beforehand which might play into it.

One thing you have going for you is they have a hard time getting people to go there. They can take more people on NCEPT than they have applicants right now. I would definitely inquire if I was you but don't get your hopes up either.

Back
Top Bottom