Is it possible to train prior to TSEW?

AlphaKilo

Is there anything preventing someone from training on control positions at their facility prior to TSEW? I’ve scoured the training order and can’t find anything about it. TSEW is now mandatory for transfers from levels 8 and below to higher level facilities, but does it matter when you go to TSEW as long as it’s done prior to certification?

Is there anything preventing someone from training on control positions at their facility prior to TSEW? I’ve scoured the training order and can’t find anything about it. TSEW is now mandatory for transfers from levels 8 and below to higher level facilities, but does it matter when you go to TSEW as long as it’s done prior to certification?
In short, no.

There's actually a waiver you can obtain and not got to TSEW at all. But to learn specific procedures, LOA's, SOP, etc, for your facility, then unlearn them to learn Academy airspace just to unlearn and re-learn your facility airspace all over again seems counterproductive.

I came from a level 11 center to a level 11 TRACON…. Considering I thought C31 in the data block meant it was a Cessna 310 and not “climbing FL310” I’d say TSEW is necessary…… STARS IS RETARDED… yeah I said it.

I came from a level 11 center to a level 11 TRACON…. Considering I thought C31 in the data block meant it was a Cessna 310 and not “climbing FL310” I’d say TSEW is necessary…… STARS IS RETARDED… yeah I said it.
STARS being horrible isn't a controversial opinion lol.

Absolutely. These new Gen Z'ers are lucky to have the ability to complain about STARS. They don't know nothin about working a green sweep with a slew PEM.
Our old "sim", looked like it was from the 50s and to be the RPO for someone else was terrible. To make an aircraft do anything it was a line of code that you entered on a ABCD keyboard. That was only like 10 years ago.

I recall the 8 day travel time it took for the PEM to make it across the scope. Nevermind the permanently sticky nasty rubber on it.

Unpopular opinion, but I miss the old scopes. I don’t think that stars is all that it’s cracked up to be, just a more convoluted refresh of ARTS.

Unpopular opinion, but I miss the old scopes. I don’t think that stars is all that it’s cracked up to be, just a more convoluted refresh of ARTS.
STARs is definitely convoluted, like just give us a normal menu for stuff. Most things stars can do makes no sense in how it actually is accomplished. The "quick reference guide" always makes me laugh.

In short, no.

There's actually a waiver you can obtain and not got to TSEW at all. But to learn specific procedures, LOA's, SOP, etc, for your facility, then unlearn them to learn Academy airspace just to unlearn and re-learn your facility airspace all over again seems counterproductive.
Unlearning is a bit dramatic

C31 means climbing fl310? What weird ass shit are y’all running?

Why have the keyboards not been updated to qwerty?
The rumour mill that I heard from our techs was that the old school guys wanted to keep the ABC keyboards and with NATCA involved they kept them when they upgraded from ARTS to STARTS. At my last facility with all the VFR pop-ups it was insane for me to type on the ABC, when I transferred to DOD QWERTY was like a God send, now I can kick out a local/NAS flight plan in under 7 seconds provided the pilot gives all the information in one go.

The rumour mill that I heard from our techs was that the old school guys wanted to keep the ABC keyboards and with NATCA involved they kept them when they upgraded from ARTS to STARTS. At my last facility with all the VFR pop-ups it was insane for me to type on the ABC, when I transferred to DOD QWERTY was like a God send, now I can kick out a local/NAS flight plan in under 7 seconds provided the pilot gives all the information in one go.
In thr AF we had QWERTY and I missed it so bad but now I’m so used to the abc keyboard I can type almost as fast on it as I can a normal keyboard

Back
Top Bottom