Is it worth it?

Anon34028

We work this job in golden handcuffs promised early retirement and benefits for life. We give up regular weekends through our 20s and 30s, holidays, constantly do 6 day work weeks, and our sleep schedule and health take a beating. They constantly understaff the facilities so we can't get spot leave and it's cheaper for them to just shell out more overtime than hire enough controllers. Probably make us die sooner so they don't have to pay our pension as long anyway. They make it extraordinarily hard to transfer to where you want to go, so you get stuck somewhere you hate for some of the best young years of your life. Sure, the pay is nice, but what does it do for the long term health. I've heard of the study NATCA did about the life expectancy of controllers who retire at 56 that came up with staggering numbers. I'm not saying I'd leave, but does anyone else ever think... is it all worth it? If I have kids I'm not sure I'd guide them down this path.

We work this job in golden handcuffs promised early retirement and benefits for life. We give up regular weekends through our 20s and 30s, holidays, constantly do 6 day work weeks, and our sleep schedule and health take a beating. They constantly understaff the facilities so we can't get spot leave and it's cheaper for them to just shell out more overtime than hire enough controllers. Probably make us die sooner so they don't have to pay our pension as long anyway. They make it extraordinarily hard to transfer to where you want to go, so you get stuck somewhere you hate for some of the best young years of your life. Sure, the pay is nice, but what does it do for the long term health. I've heard of the study NATCA did about the life expectancy of controllers who retire at 56 that came up with staggering numbers. I'm not saying I'd leave, but does anyone else ever think... is it all worth it? If I have kids I'm not sure I'd guide them down this path.
Only you know if it will be worth it but I'm 51 and have been retired almost a year now and for me looking back I can't imagine having done anything else. I have many friends who are very envious of my retirement now at such a young age. Young enough to actually enjoy it.

Pre-covid - absolutely.
Post covid? - meh.

The job stability is still there but the promise of making more than most people from your socioeconomic background is almost gone and the promise of amazing work/life balance is also not a reality for most facilities. Six figure jobs are not that uncommon anymore especially for people with bachelor's degrees. The question now becomes "how much are you willing to give up for the ultimate in job security?" While other people from your background are landing 6 fig jobs fully remote with no mids or weekends and similar PTO to us.

I think this everyday, still trying to decide myself.

Honestly as soon as my other businesses get to where they are equaling my income plus some I will retire. I love the job, but the hours and shifts we work are just burning me out, plus it’s just a super toxic environment. I just want to enjoy life, and this isn’t the cream puff career it used to be.
What has changed? What makes it a toxic environment? I am just about to start my career.

Pre-covid - absolutely.
Post covid? - meh.

The job stability is still there but the promise of making more than most people from your socioeconomic background is almost gone and the promise of amazing work/life balance is also not a reality for most facilities. Six figure jobs are not that uncommon anymore especially for people with bachelor's degrees. The question now becomes "how much are you willing to give up for the ultimate in job security?" While other people from your background are landing 6 fig jobs fully remote with no mids or weekends and similar PTO to us.
What are all these fully remote 6 figure jobs that everyone can get so easily?

What has changed? What makes it a toxic environment? I am just about to start my career.
People do. Keep your head down. Carry training books everywhere during training and I'd suggest steering clear of the break room until certified. Just my advice. Wait to choose friends at work till after you're checked out.

Last edited:
no. even tho many are perpetually waiting for some mythical light at the end of the tunnel and have cognitive dissonance that the NATCA heel turn was the exception not the rule. i think they call it expectation bias in our training. so hard no. the current ATC landscape looks and feels dark and forlorn. waiting for the pot of gold is waiting for Godot. the job sucks and morale is at a Jon Bellion - All Time Low low low low la-la-low.

Last edited:
Tech. Look at levels.fyi to get an idea. Pretty common now in most cities to be pulling 200k+ for someone with two years experience. Fully remote, weekends off, unlimited PTO not subject to fucking bidding...

no pointless deadly "rattlers" or "quick turns".

Ha! I had all of these same complaints in 1981.:(

I recently took a staff job to combat these concerns. With a young family I was missing out on too much. Not a good time position, but I dry my tears sharply at 3PM each day. No weekends, no holidays, no overtime and still keep the job security as well as keep my head in ATC. Is it permanent? Probably not, but for right now its pretty great.

I get some flack from controllers for taking this job when I could keep controlling, but on the same token I have plenty of controllers coming to me curious about the job or saying how they wish they had bid it. Its a tough time for ATCers.

the person that posted would get torn apart for being ungrateful ?

#bestjobintheworld ?

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Back
Top Bottom