Is switching from controller to supervisor for better money/transfer chances worth it?

FloopThePig

I think I'm going to be stuck at my facility for another 5 years on top of the 5 I've been here. Is the supervisor life worth it? I like controlling, but my main goal is make money and retire early, and I can't transfer out for the life of me. How easy is it to get back in controlling after becoming supe? Anything else I should know?

If you go back to controlling after being a sup your seniority will reset and start from scratch that day. Become a sup, then bid other sup jobs at places you want to work at.

Man, I’m so thankful I was able to transfer out of my Z immediately after certifying and get to the place I want to be on my first NCEPT… I’d hate being stuck somewhere I didn’t want to be.

Sucks the FAA forces these decisions on people. I would hate to be anything to do with management but if I was in your shoes I’d want to be where I want to be and make money… if becoming a sup was the only way after waiting five years…. I’d do it. Seems to be a lot easier to jump around as a sup vs the crystal ball of ncept. Once you punch that time card though to go back to controlling seems tough to do.. plus you lose all your seniority

If you take a permanent sup position, it’s extremely unlikely you’ll ever come back to the light. Like others said, you will have 0 seniority and have to pay the initiation fee if you want back into the union, so really what’s the incentive?

If you take a permanent sup position, it’s extremely unlikely you’ll ever come back to the light. Like others said, you will have 0 seniority and have to pay the initiation fee if you want back into the union, so really what’s the incentive?
I'm not even seeing any light as a controller. We finally let one go after 7 years and now our numbers won't allow a transfer for about 4+ years. The town I'm in is worse than my little hometown back home because it's just as barren, but missing all the friends and family. Nothing to do here. I drive 2-3 hours just to do anything enjoyable. I would hate to go back to college or relearn anything else so I'd rather stay instead of quit but some days...

Why don't they want to keep the controllers happy that are already in and CPC? Why isn't there some kind of rule where when I CPC, after 5 year minimum they send a trainee or 2 from academy to fill my spot and guarantee release to a facility up to 3 levels up or something? It just doesn't make sense. And idk if it's just me, but post-covid is making everything seem even more unbearable.

Anyone have an idea on the sup hiring process? Wait times to here back after bid closing? Interviews? I’m stuck in the same boat, trying to get closer to home but no way my facility will release anytime soon :(

I’d say do it. I’m planning on it as soon as I hit my year mark and the facility I want to go to opens up a bid. My Z can’t release for probably another 5 years so I’m not gonna wait around for that. Getting back to family and a place we want to be long term is more important than me not becoming a sup.

Even if you quit being a sup and went back to controlling the only negative is losing seniority. Would you rather be where you’re at with Friday Saturday off or at the facility you want to be with Tuesday Wednesdays off? Pretty easy answer for myself.

Why would you ever pay the invitation fee when the union gets you nothing. They should pay you an initiation fee

Uhh there is. After 15 you get priority selection, choose zny and you'll train for 3 qmand nab your high three
ARTICLE 124 PRIORITY PLACEMENT

Section 1. Any employee at a Facility Pay Level 10-12, who has a minimum of fifteen (15) consecutive years as a CPC at his/her current facility, shall have attained priority placement status for inter-facility ingrade/downgrade bargaining unit vacancies/positions. The employee shall not normally be eligible to receive any permanent change of station (PCS) benefits unless the selection was made in conjunction with a vacancy announcement where PCS benefits were authorized. In that case, the individual requesting voluntary transfer shall be entitled to the same benefits as advertised on the vacancy announcement. The provisions of this Article do not apply for vacancies/positions that are filled in accordance with Article 42, Section 1(a) of this Agreement.

Section 2. Employees who meet the requirements of Section 1 may submit applications in accordance with Article 42, Section 5 of this Agreement. The front of each application must be clearly marked by the employee: "Filed under Article 124, Priority Placement, for a position at (specify facility identifier)." In addition, the employee shall forward a copy of the application to each facility to which the applicant desires consideration under this Agreement.

Section 3. Priority placement means the selection and placement of an employee in a specific bargaining unit position at a specific facility requested by the employee. Priority placement occurs prior to the consideration of candidates from all other competitive and non- competitive applications, but after placement of employees in accordance with law and Section 4 of HRPM EMP 1.9 (August 23, 2012), training failures, and hardship transfers.

Section 4. In the event that two (2) or more employees are entitled to priority placement status for a specific bargaining unit position at a specific facility, the Agency shall request that the Union provide the seniority ranking for each applicant and the most senior applicant shall be selected and placed in the position.

Section 5. Selected employees shall be released to begin their new positions as soon as practicable. This shall occur no later than six (6) months from the date of selection, unless otherwise requested by the employee, but in no case later than twelve (12) months from selection.

Section 6. Employee requests under this Article shall remain active for twenty-four (24) months. If no selection has been made within that period, the employee may reapply.

Section 7. If a priority placement status candidate is not placed in the vacancy, the Agency shall prepare a written narrative statement listing all reasons for non-placement. The Agency shall submit such written narrative to the employee’s Service Area Director with a copy to the employee and the Union at the employee’s current facility within seven (7) days of a non-placement determination.

This only available to ppl at a 10-12 is some bullshit. Thanks natca.

Life is too short to be miserable. Bid any job that interests you. Supervisor, TMU, etc. If you hate being a Supe then you can figure out your next move, but being a supervisor opens a lot of doors for you. You will lose seniority if you go back to the floor, but if you're back where you want to be then who cares? Having to work a few holidays and get crappy days off while living where you want to live is better than the opposite.

Anyone have an idea on the sup hiring process? Wait times to here back after bid closing? Interviews? I’m stuck in the same boat, trying to get closer to home but no way my facility will release anytime soon :(
I'm in the same boat at my facility. I applied to a few OS bids two months ago. I check USAjobs/Aviator on a daily basis to see to see if there are any updates. Just tell me already that I didn't get (or can't be released) either of them so I can mentally move on.

I think I'm going to be stuck at my facility for another 5 years on top of the 5 I've been here. Is the supervisor life worth it? I like controlling, but my main goal is make money and retire early, and I can't transfer out for the life of me. How easy is it to get back in controlling after becoming supe? Anything else I should know?
Make decisions based on your happiness. That’s it. Don’t worry about the rest.

Back
Top Bottom