Marrying another controller

pojupari

If two controllers in different locations were to get married, would they be allowed to transfer to the same facility/area?

What would determine which controller is the one to leave their facility? Would the couple get to choose? Would developmental status come into play?

If two controllers in different locations were to get married, would they be allowed to transfer to the same facility/area?

What would determine which controller is the one to leave their facility? Would the couple get to choose? Would developmental status come into play?
You can bid to another location just like any other employee. They won't get priority. Now if one spouse is just getting hired and is already married to a controller they can get placement in the same general area, may or may not be the same facility.

I married a controller at my previous facility. We then both transferred to a bigger facility. There's nothing to prevent the two of you from transferring to the same facility. You go through the same transfer process as everyone else so it will be up to you guys to decide which one of you will be putting in the ERR (transfer) to get to the other's facility. But you will go through the same NCEPT transfer process as everyone else and you will be treated as if you were strangers. Meaning there is no priority afforded to you because of your marriage. (Despite what Article 4 Section 4 of the slate book says if you read it and were banking on it.)

Trying to ERR while in developmental status will be harder as your ERR will be considered only after all the CPC's. So the chances of a developmental being able to transfer are significantly reduced which is why you see a lot of talk about certifying and then transferring over trying to transfer beforehand.

Being married and in two separate facilities isn't something you can hardship. (Unless there's kids involved, then you might be able to.)

This is highly disappointing. I thought for sure there would be a good way for spouses to relocate. For two developmental with little hope of relocating, this is a nightmare scenario.

This is highly disappointing. I thought for sure there would be a good way for spouses to relocate. For two developmental with little hope of relocating, this is a nightmare scenario.

There is. You and her bid n90 when you are cpc’s. You both get to go!

Also, it would depend on what facility you are at. Small tower versus marginally staffed center.

Some places can release more then just one person a panel so if you both bid a facility with high priority with a lot of slots, you could both go. Might take a little time, but it’s not an unreasonable occurrence.

However if you both have a dream facility in mind, that is low in priority, and doesn’t often pick people up, yeah, prolly never going to happen. Or one of you could become a supervisor on a bid somewhere, and I think since it is career progression the other gets to go to the same region to some extent.

However, really if you are both developmental, I’d worry about checking out first.

However, really if you are both developmental, I’d worry about checking out first.

The timeframe for that is years. Living far away from your spouse for years without any certainty of relocating is an awfully though pill to swallow. And basically life-ruining if you're intending to start a family in the near term.

The timeframe for that is years. Living far away from your spouse for years without any certainty of relocating is an awfully though pill to swallow. And basically life-ruining if you're intending to start a family in the near term.

Well, the other option is for one of you to quit and move. Sometimes they have reinstatement bids and the other could try to get back in that way. But as a developmental, it doesn’t work either.

It’s the reality of this job. I can’t recommend anyone put their life on hold for it, but many do. And sometimes that means making really hard choices, because during the hiring you basically say you will go anywhere. Then again, many people make things work. Since you aren’t putting it out here, I am guessing you and her are at different centers....

Prior to being hired the powers that be are usually very accommodating with your initial placement. Once you are in however, marriage doesn't mean anything and there is no more accommodating. Every move the two of you attempt from here on out will be a gamble. With enough knowledge of the processes, they are gambles you can win but there is always going to be some element of chance involved. There are several things you won't be able to control since the two of you won't be linked together in any way.

My wife and I got selected for transfer in two separate NCEPT panels with release dataes 6-months apart. So we had to deal with some smaller but similar choices; Does the first spouse decline the transfer if second never gets selected? Does the second spouse quit and try CPC reinstatement? Does the first spouse go and withdraw from training back to previous facility if the second doesn't get selected prior to first spouse CPC'ing at new facility? Is a 1-year gap between release dates still worth transferring?

The predicament you find yourself in is much worse than my own as the two of you aren't starting together in the same place. Realistically your only options are:
-For one of you to resign and try and reapply and get placed somewhere closer together.
-For one of you to certify on enough positions where you can withdraw from training and be retained into the NEST and hope something on your list is closer than your present facility and also has a shorter time to certify than your present facility.
-Wait until one of you certify's and then put in a ERR for your spouses facility and hope the stars align where you'll get selected for the transfer relatively quickly with a shorter vs longer release date.
-Put in for a transfer while a developmental and hope one of you can slip through a magic crack during an NCEPT panel where no CPC's can transfer.
-Have a baby, get divorced and hardship.
-Hope you, your spouse or someone in your immediate family get's seriously ill and both hardship to the same place closer to sick family member.

There is no clear and clean way to get together quickly in the FAA from the position you both are currently in and this will create a lot of tough decisions to be made. The two of you will eventually be able to work at the same facility or at least close to each other. It will more than likely take a few years from the sound of it. Your immediate decisions will probably come down to how long you guys think you can last long distance. Or if you already know one of you will be a stay at home parent once kids are in the picture, you might as well just get started once whoever is going to keep working makes it far enough up the pay band to support both of you.

Do it. You'll be paid AF. I wish my wife was a controller.

I've seen it a couple times and they ended up at different facilities about an hour apart. I've seen where they both became supes at the same place too. Then they could work together and no one was over the other, so no nepotism risk.

My friend and her husband were born intiwlly assigned different facilities in Cali. They talked to HR and both wound up at the same facility. They were prior experienced direct to facility though.

Back
Top Bottom