Medical Exam and Security Clearance Questions

MichiganMan01

Good evening,

Long time lurker here and I have huge respect for those who perform this job. I aspire to become an ATC one day and have been thinking about it for a while.

I've been looking into it more and more, but I can't find specific answers. This is about past Marijuana usage.

I know the FAA is about personal integrity and exhibiting good judgement. I have a squeaky clean record, I work as a Registered Pharmacy Technician and have always passed state background test with no issues.

However, I did hold a Medical Marijuana Card about 4 years ago on a state level. I ended up trying it here and there and never found too much use in it. Never convicted or charged with a single thing. I've been sober ever since. I'm honestly hoping that this won't botch up this entire thing for me.

Do you think I would be okay passing a medical examination and security clearance? Does anyone have any advice?

Just be honest and disclose it from the start and it shouldn’t be a problem. They’ll probably have you write a statement saying you haven’t done it in X number of years etc. and you’ll obviously need to pass a drug test.

Good evening,

Long time lurker here and I have huge respect for those who perform this job. I aspire to become an ATC one day and have been thinking about it for a while.

I've been looking into it more and more, but I can't find specific answers. This is about past Marijuana usage.

I know the FAA is about personal integrity and exhibiting good judgement. I have a squeaky clean record, I work as a Registered Pharmacy Technician and have always passed state background test with no issues.

However, I did hold a Medical Marijuana Card about 4 years ago on a state level. I ended up trying it here and there and never found too much use in it. Never convicted or charged with a single thing. I've been sober ever since. I'm honestly hoping that this won't botch up this entire thing for me.

Do you think I would be okay passing a medical examination and security clearance? Does anyone have any advice?
You'll be fine just be honest. Once you put it down on the SF86, you'll be asked to put down all drug and alcohol usage and send it back to them. They mainly just looking for if you have a dependency issue. If you don't have a dependency issue and you haven't used it recently your good. That's what happened to me at least it might have changed.

2 year tier 2 medical veteran here. I didn’t pass my MMPI-2 when I took it back in January 2019 and was placed on a tier 2 status (still haven’t received a class date). I did meet with my tier 2 evaluator who had my test results, was able to see why I failed and discuss/ do further testing with me. He wasn’t specifically allowed to tell me which questions led me to fail the test, but he did point 2 out.
One was along the lines of “I have taken illegal drugs.”
The other was “I have teased animals before.”

Between these two and a few other flagged questions, I was delayed in getting into this job for 2 years. He said since I answered that I had used marijuana, I was tier 2’d so they could further screen me.
As for the animals one I didn’t think teasing animals meant physically hurting them (I was thinking more along the lines of pretending to toss a tennis ball to watch my dog go tearing after it.) I was wrong.
Long story short, I wouldn’t admit to doing illicit drugs.

Long story short, I wouldn’t admit to doing illicit drugs.
It can obviously lengthen the hiring process, but telling someone to knowingly lie/omit anything covered on the SF86 is horrible advice. Especially if someone had a state medical card and there’s a paper trail. What’s worse, an extra year or two in the hiring process, or the agency finding out and you being charged with a Federal felony and potentially going to prison? Just own up to your life choices and jump through the hoops.

It can obviously lengthen the hiring process, but telling someone to knowingly lie/omit anything covered on the SF86 is horrible advice. Especially if someone had a state medical card and there’s a paper trail. What’s worse, an extra year or two in the hiring process, or the agency finding out and you being charged with a Federal felony and potentially going to prison? Come on bro.
True, that’s just my advice. There’s no way for the government to ever know you ingested the drug. Purchased, sure. Was licensed for? Sure. But I’m just speaking from my personal experience of being 100% honest with the agency.

True, that’s just my advice. There’s no way for the government to ever know you ingested the drug. Purchased, sure. Was licensed for? Sure. But I’m just speaking from my personal experience of being 100% honest with the agency.
Heard of a guy that lied on the SF86 and the FAA didn't find out until 20ish years later. Ended up getting fired, lost all retirement, and charged with perjury. Pick your poison i guess.

Long story short, I wouldn’t admit to doing illicit drugs

There's like three different things going on here.You have the security clearance and the medical clearance, which itself is split into the physical exam and the MMPI.

For the security clearance I would definitely put down what you put in your post, no hesitation at all. They really do look at you as a whole person. Saying "I got an MMJ card four years ago, I tried it, didn't work" shouldn't be a problem at all. I disclosed pretty regular use in college (2-4 times per month for two or three years) and didn't have an issue getting a conditional clearance.

For the physical you have to fill out the medexpress form. One question is "do you have any history of drug abuse in the past two years" (and by abuse they of course mean any use of marijuana at all). You can honestly answer no and move on.

For the MMPI I believe the statement is "I enjoy using marijuana" (note the present tense) and again you can honestly click no and move on.

I really would recommend against lying or hiding information on your SF-86 and if the situation is as you described I don't think you have anything to worry about.

There's like three different things going on here.You have the security clearance and the medical clearance, which itself is split into the physical exam and the MMPI.

For the security clearance I would definitely put down what you put in your post, no hesitation at all. They really do look at you as a whole person. Saying "I got an MMJ card four years ago, I tried it, didn't work" shouldn't be a problem at all. I disclosed pretty regular use in college (2-4 times per month for two or three years) and didn't have an issue getting a conditional clearance.

For the physical you have to fill out the medexpress form. One question is "do you have any history of drug abuse in the past two years" (and by abuse they of course mean any use of marijuana at all). You can honestly answer no and move on.

For the MMPI I believe the statement is "I enjoy using marijuana" (note the present tense) and again you can honestly click no and move on.

I really would recommend against lying or hiding information on your SF-86 and if the situation is as you described I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Well it obviously does work out for people given Bravo Alpha got cleared, it seems he’s just saying the hassle and extra time isn’t worth telling the truth. Pretty big gamble to go that route IMO.

yup,
I would certainly decline to lie, especially when there is a state paper trail left behind. I would probably be canned the second they found out with no chance of recovery. Thanks for breaking down a few of those questions for me.
What exactly is a condition clearance? Just another hoop to jump through?
The thing is that I'm 24 now and I know the cut off is 31, I'm not sure how many times I'll have to apply. Is there anything I should look into doing preemptively that might help?

What exactly is a condition clearance? Just another hoop to jump through?
The conditional is just someone looking at your file and deciding to let you go to the academy before they complete the full investigation. Nothing separate for you to do. If you don't get one you'll just be waiting a few more months while they dig into things.

Is there anything I should look into doing preemptively that might help?
You could be making a list of anyone who knew about your MMJ use and can corroborate your story, and if you really wanted you could write up a quick statement saying how terribly sorry you are that you made such a horrible lapse in judgement as to ever think about smoking the devil's lettuce and you'll never do it again.

I gave both to give to my investigator when I had my interview on my own prerogative but to be honest I don’t think she did anything with them at all. As far as I know no one I listed as a reference (in general or regarding the marijuana) was ever contacted. I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Also, invest in a worthwhile career other than ATC, and with that good luck in ATC.

For sure, I'm currently completing my bachelors and the goal is to become a Physician Assistant in the medical field. But damn, you guys have the dream job. Not to mention I could save on $150K in student loans. I'd drop that project for a shot in academy the second I got permission to do so. I know it's not a cake walk but getting into ATC would be absolutely amazing!

If it’s like MMIC in CA, that’s protected info under state and HIPAA laws, so unless they know about it, they’re not going to be able to dig it up. Take that for what you will.

Back
Top Bottom