PapaKilo1317

Hello, I’m new to the forum!
I’m currently a tower only Watch supervisor at MCF looking to separate and get to the greener pastures of the FAA. That being said I have not seen a thread that has outlined everything you can expect trying to get in as a prior experience military controller. I’m here to ask everyone for advice with what to look for to help your process getting in and the average timeline. That being said I’m looking forward to moving on from military service and to see what you all have to say!

Hit up the FAQ page and also click on any previous prior experience bid and start at page 1 and read all the way through. Will gain valuable insight on what it's like going through the process. Shoot me a DM if you have any other questions

I’m currently a tower only Watch supervisor at MCF looking to separate and get to the greener pastures of the FAA. That being said I have not seen a thread that has outlined everything you can expect trying to get in as a prior experience military controller. I’m here to ask everyone for advice with what to look for to help your process getting in and the average timeline. That being said I’m looking forward to moving on from military service and to see what you all have to say!
My timeline was 8 months from bid coming out to stepping in the door. With covid still around ymmv greatly.

Man it would be tough to leave Tampa. But best of luck to ya! As you know the military ‘phraseology’ quite a bit different than civilian/FAA, doable tho

Man it would be tough to leave Tampa. But best of luck to ya! As you know the military ‘phraseology’ quite a bit different than civilian/FAA, doable tho
Tampa is getting really congested right now with how many people have been moving to the area recently. It is a really nice/fun city to be in but prices are starting to rise quickly.

OP,I would also consider a new hire bid as well. I know multiple military controllers that applied to both bids and got offered both bids but took new hire for en route over prior exp. for the higher level facilities.

take a fac that has quick training time if your list isn’t great man. You get stuck at a mid level fac it’s painful!

Oh ya and WOOOOOOOOOO
Lolol I love it thanks for the advice

Thanks I will definitely take a look!
Hit up the FAQ page and also click on any previous prior experience bid and start at page 1 and read all the way through. Will gain valuable insight on what it's like going through the process. Shoot me a DM if you have any other questions

Tampa is getting really congested right now with how many people have been moving to the area recently. It is a really nice/fun city to be in but prices are starting to rise quickly.

OP,I would also consider a new hire bid as well. I know multiple military controllers that applied to both bids and got offered both bids but took new hire for en route over prior exp. for the higher level facilities.
I definitely would like the higher facilities, however what say you on getting some radar experience first? Obviously I’m not trying to get stuck but if I get in the FAA it’s gonna be my career so it’s not like I will have 20+ years to get somewhere higher.

I definitely would like the higher facilities, however what say you on getting some radar experience first? Obviously I’m not trying to get stuck but if I get in the FAA it’s gonna be my career so it’s not like I will have 20+ years to get somewhere higher.
I would say that's all on you. The guys I know are all at the center. They wanted the higher pay quicker and not having to go to BFE if that's all the list had to offer. It's all what you would want out of it.

Hey man i just transitioned from the military to the FAA. I was in the bid at the end of 2019 and started in June 20 so the whole process from application to starting took about 8-9 months but YMMV. I know that the pandemic has slowed some things down but the main thing that seems to be slowed for prior experience people now is the MMPI scheduling because alot of facilities arent letting people in the building to take it so some people are having to travel to take it if they can find a place. Biggest advice i can give you is dont overthink the MMPI. Just take it and answer everything honestly. People who overthink it tend to not pass. Besides that, as long as your healthy and dont have any criminal or bad credit history, you should go through just fine. Start getting a hold of dates and stuff from all your medical appointments and what they were for. That took up some time gathering that info. Another piece of advice i’d give is to get everything done as soon as you get it and are able. I ended up being able to get everything done right at the beginning of the pandemic before everything shut down and wouldnt have been able to if i didnt start as soon as i got everything. As far as a list, always try to put the highest facility you can with the best staffing and quickest checkout if theres nowhere you want to be on there. But also be prepared to be put somewhere you dont place high on the list. If you have any further questions, shoot me a pm.

I'm in the same boat as you. Multiple CTO's now as I transition out. I've already had quite a few DoD offers and accepted one in a pretty good location. However, with the experienced bid coming out I want to see how the process plays out and go from there. Ready for those greener pastures you're speaking of.

Random question: does anyone know if it’s legal to have a job as DoD while doing virtual training with the FAA?

Being a watch supe in the military doesn’t mean shit in the faa FYI.

Other than the actual mechanics of going through the hiring process, it’s not a hard transition.
You’ll finally be treated like an adult, but you’ll be expected to be responsible for your own career trajectory.
You may find yourself working way more traffic than you ever saw in the military.

you won’t regret the move. GL

Being a watch supe in the military doesn’t mean shit in the faa FYI.

Other than the actual mechanics of going through the hiring process, it’s not a hard transition.
You’ll finally be treated like an adult, but you’ll be expected to be responsible for your own career trajectory.
You may find yourself working way more traffic than you ever saw in the military.

you won’t regret the move. GL
That’s music to my ears. Definitely done with the mil BS.

Back
Top Bottom