NATCA Candidate Forum, May 9 @ MSP

GulfCharlie

Comrade Commissar
FAA
Facility
Command Center
Mod Edit: video is further down the thread.

This is your chance to ask questions to both the incumbents and the candidates! Remember we have a choice this time! If anyone is interested in hosting a Live Stream for people that can not attend, PLEASE advise. If there is video of the event, an upload to YouTube would be greatly appreciated!

Candidate Forum.pngCandidate Forum2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone at this event tonight, please feel free to post your thoughts!

Here now.. they have a camera and such set up. I don’t know if they’re gonna broadcast or not but it looks that way. So far just getting the standard NATCA PAC speech

I believe they are only filming it, not sure what will be done with the video afterwards though.

As with anything, we all see and hear what we want. I am sure supporters for Bryan would say differently. Good thing there is a video for everyone to see and decide for themselves how the debate went.
As far as your comment about connections on the hill. This argument is used by the incumbent in every election. The relationships carry over. Defazio, Brown, Costello, Shumer, Latourette, LoBiondo, King.. All relationships built way before Paul and Trish, built by previous officers and legislative activists. No congressional representative is going to turn away an 8 million dollar and growing PAC.
On a personal note, your comment about "Zilonis, vote for me, but I don't want to do it"... What Bryans message was is this not about Paul or I. I don't want this for me, I want it for the membership. If they ask me to serve, I will do so proudly and with honor. Far from your impression. Bryan did not take the decision to run lightly.

All good points and why I said my impressions. As for the connections on Capitol Hill, more may remain than I expect, but the personal relationships will be gone and the candidates will have to build toward re-establishing those. Thus the two steps back comment.

My point with Zilonis is, why would I vote for someone who doesn’t want the job? Can I really expect him to put in the same efforts as Paul, when he was wanting to retire at the end of this year I believe he said? Is he going to check out halfway through the term? We know what to expect from Paul and his work ethic.

He has never said he didn't want the job. I would ask you to get to know Bryan before questioning if he would put in the same efforts as Paul. Bryan has worked as a representative in NATCA for over 24 years. He has never checked out. I believe the last 24 years of his NATCA career (FACREP, RVP, ATSAP MOU, Flight Deck Training MOU, 5 national contract teams, to name a few) speak volumes on his work ethic.
Personal relationships will come and go in congress. There is no saying current members of congress will even still be there come November. Shuster is leaving, just to name one. We are always, as a union, building relationships in Congress.

Last edited:
They did discuss the hiring process and NCEPT a little bit, but mostly to say that it is a work in progress and we are fortunate to have gotten the concessions from the FAA that we have.

And I'm sure no one from a hard to staff facility was there to inform them what an immensely stupid thing that is to say. With one MOU they wiped out the ability for a huge chunk of controllers to have a chance at transferring anywhere the least bit desirable to them for the foreseeable future. Concessions from the FAA? Give me a break. NATCA gave away one of the most powerful clauses in the contract in exchange for removing certain toxic managers from the hiring process? Those super-hard-to-fill towers just got a whole lot easier to staff at the membership's expense

I'm guessing Bryan and Trish/Paul both support NCEPT...

I think the concessions were more geared towards academy hiring, getting more people through to hit hiring goals, and reinstating military hiring bids etc.

I think the concessions were more geared towards academy hiring, getting more people through to hit hiring goals, and reinstating military hiring bids etc.
Concessions for hiring using common sense methods/bids? We can all agree the 2014 bid, making people who had been certified and doing the job, forcing them to take the Bio-Q was absolute insanity, especially when it told them they were not what the FAA was loooking for. How would this be a concession?

Back
Top Bottom