Next Prior Experience Bid??

NightWatch

Hey everyone. About to separate from the military here. I was mislead by someone telling me that the last prior exp bid was coming up in July when it was in June... that said, amidst all this COVID madness, does anyone know if/when there will be another hiring bid?? Thanks.

Hey everyone. About to separate from the military here. I was mislead by someone telling me that the last prior exp bid was coming up in July when it was in June... that said, amidst all this COVID madness, does anyone know if/when there will be another hiring bid?? Thanks.
The last one was in March.
No update on when the next one is.

I received a TOL from the March bid and like most of us from the bid I am still waiting to take my MMPI (completed everything else). COVID has slowed everything down and there really is no set in stone timeline. Don’t be discouraged though, take the first step toward your future and separate and wait for the next bid.

I called HR the other day after I turned my most recent list down and they said the hiring process isn't frozen due to COVID and they will still be releasing lists.

I called HR the other day after I turned my most recent list down and they said the hiring process isn't frozen due to COVID and they will still be releasing lists.
Ha! Your “next” list will be far worse than your original. Enjoy!

I mean, can't get any worse than what I got the first time around. I have a cushy GS job right now so I'm not particularly in a massive rush to get in and take some dogshit location if I can help it. Thanks for the concern tho. ;)
Welcome!

I mean, can't get any worse than what I got the first time around. I have a cushy GS job right now so I'm not particularly in a massive rush to get in and take some dogshit location if I can help it. Thanks for the concern tho. ;)
What did your list look like, and what locations are you looking for.

What did your list look like, and what locations are you looking for.
Somewhere in West Virginia, Monroe LA, Fairbanks, Juneau AK, Palo Alto and some other expensive Cali place. Got offered Juneau.

And I'll take anything in a decent part of the country that isn't massively overpriced to reside in. Just can't see myself being stuck in Alaska for however long.

Anyone know of anybody who certified at a facility, put in their 52 weeks of experience then left and reapplied on a prior experience bid? How exactly does that process work?

Anyone know of anybody who certified at a facility, put in their 52 weeks of experience then left and reapplied on a prior experience bid? How exactly does that process work?
Pretty sure If you apply through a prior experience bid within a year of quitting they send you back to your previous facility.

Pretty sure If you apply through a prior experience bid within a year of quitting they send you back to your previous facility.
Now I believe the 52 weeks of experience has to be within the last 5 years. What if you wait over a year and then apply? If you got in, would you be given a list of places your cert level and down?

Now I believe the 52 weeks of experience has to be within the last 5 years. What if you wait over a year and then apply? If you got in, would you be given a list of places your cert level and down?
If you're prior FAA, you can get hired directly to a faculty of your choice, if the manger agrees and staffing isn't too high. Look up CPC reinstatement. I just got hired on the list few months straight to my dream job.

Also, I went from a 5 up/down to a center.

If you're prior FAA, you can get hired directly to a faculty of your choice, if the manger agrees and staffing isn't too high. Look up CPC reinstatement. I just got hired on the list few months straight to my dream job.

Also, I went from a 5 up/down to a center.
You have to wait a year to do this though right

You don’t need to wait 52 weeks after certification, once a CPC, always a CPC, that’s straight from HR. I quit the agency 8 months after certifying. Also, there’s no wait on applying to OTS or prior experience bids once you’re out, speaking from experience. You can literally apply the next day if a bid is out. The only wait is the 1 year out of agency for CPC reinstatement, which I successfully did and did not have 1 year certified at previous facility.

To answer your question about how it would work reapplying to a prior experience bid as a former CPC, you will do everything same as all other applicants of the bid. Only difference is pay, which follows the CPC re-entrant guidance in the CBA: previous pay higher than new facility band = pay cut to the top of band, previous pay in the band of new facility = save pay (basic rate), previous pay lower than new facility band = pay raise to the bottom of new band.

Again, I went through this whole process short of receiving a list of facilities to rank since I had a reinstatement application being processed at the same time and ultimately approved.

Last edited:
You don’t need to wait 52 weeks after certification, once a CPC, always a CPC, that’s straight from HR. I quit the agency 8 months after certifying. Also, there’s no wait on applying to OTS or prior experience bids once you’re out, speaking from experience. You can literally apply the next day if a bid is out. The only wait is the 1 year out of agency for CPC reinstatement, which I successfully did and did not have 1 year certified at previous facility.

To answer your question about how it would work reapplying to a prior experience bid as a former CPC, you will do everything same as all other applicants of the bid. Only difference is pay, which follows the CPC re-entrant guidance in the CBA: previous pay higher than new facility band = pay cut to the top of band, previous pay in the band of new facility = save pay (basic rate), previous pay lower than new facility band = pay raise to the bottom of new band.

Again, I went through this whole process short of receiving a list of facilities to rank since I had a reinstatement application being processed at the same time and ultimately approved.
Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I guess the wording in the previous exp app threw me for a loop since it says “THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE MAINTAINED AT LEAST 52 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL EXPERIENCE INVOLVING THE FULL-TIME ACTIVE SEPARATION OF AIR TRAFFIC AFTER RECEIPT OF AN ATC CERTIFICATION..”

Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I guess the wording in the previous exp app threw me for a loop since it says “THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE MAINTAINED AT LEAST 52 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL EXPERIENCE INVOLVING THE FULL-TIME ACTIVE SEPARATION OF AIR TRAFFIC AFTER RECEIPT OF AN ATC CERTIFICATION..”
I think there’s been some misunderstanding with people explaining the CPC-reinstatement bid which is a different process than the prior experience bid. Prior experience bid is for 52 weeks of consecutive experience of military or contract. The 1 year of CPC(in the FAA) people are referring to is to get out (of the FAA) and reapply straight to a different facility. Again, different processes. It seems like you’d fall into the prior experience and not CPC-reinstatement (currently)

Back
Top Bottom