Online comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horny4Vectors

Forum Sage
FAA
Facility
N90 New York Tracon
Through the grapevine (and screenshots) I’ve become aware of an ATC posting blatant white supremacist remarks on Facebook. If this was brought up to your facility, how should it be handled?

Pfft, grapevine. I've got a direct link to an ATC who openly implied online that they needed no precautions for them or their family re: coronavirus, due to God.
Though I have a degree of appreciation and respect for those of faith, my tongue hath bled that day.

I’ll take the unpopular stand here for a moment, everyone is entitled to have an opinion or personal belief. The beauty of this country is that anyone can believe anything they choose, even if it is an unpopular, morally wrong, and reprehensible point of view/opinion/belief. What you cannot do is use force or intimidation to coerce people into accepting your point of view/opinion/belief. The moment you cross that line and tell people they have to accept what you believe is the moment you are no better than they are. There are a quite a few issues I do not morally agree with but I tolerate them because this is America and it is every single persons inalienable right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness. *steps down soap box*

I’ll take the unpopular stand here for a moment, everyone is entitled to have an opinion or personal belief. The beauty of this country is that anyone can believe anything they choose, even if it is an unpopular, morally wrong, and reprehensible point of view/opinion/belief. What you cannot do is use force or intimidation to coerce people into accepting your point of view/opinion/belief. The moment you cross that line and tell people they have to accept what you believe is the moment you are no better than they are. There are a quite a few issues I do not morally agree with but I tolerate them because this is America and it is every single persons inalienable right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness. *steps down soap box*

Cancel culture has eliminated everything you just said. Just look at what we are seeing everywhere right now. Look how many people are being doxxed, fired etc for things they've posted on social media including things posted years prior. Its terrifying.

The moment you cross that line and tell people they have to accept what you believe is the moment you are no better than they are.

We're talking then, literally, about the belief that black lives don't matter? I mean, I don't know the exact context of those posts the OP was referring to, but as far as I understand White Supremicism, it falls into a discrimination category. So you're welcome to hold whatever belief you want, but to speak or act on it in a public setting will not fly.

Cancel culture has eliminated everything you just said. Just look at what we are seeing everywhere right now. Look how many people are being doxxed, fired etc for things they've posted on social media including things posted years prior. Its terrifying.

I am absolutely terrified for my children and anything they say online may disqualify them from life. So I agree with this post and part of the one above.

however, just because you morally disagree with something doesn’t make it not right. I’m going to choose hot button issue say abortion, someone else’s belief it’s okay to have an abortion does not affect your life at all. When it comes to White supremacist positing on Facebook, if they are comfortable posting in Facebook they most likely act that way Toward someone in some form in real life and that’s where is gets tricky. Because when they act that way and affect someone else are we as a society protecting them or calling them out on it?And I think partly this is what these protests are about, the bad seeds why have they been able to fester for so long? Why haven’t they been in trouble or fired? Why do some of these people get off in court, Zimmerman comes to mind. We protect the attitude that allows these people to get off while the life they took or affected is gone

including things posted years prior.

That one is lame as all can be. Most of us learn and grow. I mean, Kevin Hart... for real?

This is why I very very rarely post anything remotely controversial/possible-to-be-misconstrued under my actual name, and reserve my venting and political conversations for a faux Facebook account.

As far as I understand White Supremicism, it falls into a discrimination category. So you're welcome to hold whatever belief you want, but to speak or act on it in a public setting will not fly.
I agree completely, acting on it or speaking about it in a federal setting and not in the capacity as a private citizen are very difference scenarios. If it was posted on the employee's Facebook and on the employees own time by all means, should the employee advocate such views in a facility or on government time we enter a different realm entirely.

It is a very sad culture we find ourselves in but we have rights, rights that guaranteed by our constitution. Doxxing people for exercising their right to such things is inherently dangerous... Remember those who spread fear in the name of righteousness

"We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. And then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."

It was a rant about being pro-segregation.
There's a big difference between "I'm proud of my culture even if celebrating it is frowned upon" (this is as mild as I can make it in case I misconstrue his words since I'm not reading it first hand) and "My ethnic group should live a different (and presumably better) life separate from other ethnic groups" (again, as mild). It's funny that so many people bring up the right to free speech especially when that speech is meant to express views that wish to hurt others. I don't think anyone invoked the right to free speech when they expressed views wanting to help others. (unless of course they talk about helping the enemies of the US lol)

If I were you I'd anonymously send as much screenshots to your manager, FAA HR and some of the officials. Also to the liberal press for good measure.

I agree completely, acting on it or speaking about it in a federal setting and not in the capacity as a private citizen are very difference scenarios. If it was posted on the employee's Facebook and on the employees own time by all means, should the employee advocate such views in a facility or on government time we enter a different realm entirely.
There's pretty much no more difference between "job time" and "private time" anymore. Look at that woman in Central Park who got fired from her law firm for calling the police and lying that she was being choked by a black man because he asked her to put her dog on a leash.
Tech wipes out all privacy now. You can't be a shitty person in private anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take your point but to play devil's advocate, a person's views even if expressed outside of work can play a role in how they do their job. If training is a part of being a controller, let's say this individual treats trainees differently based on race in a way that is not obvious. That's a problem. Obviously we don't know the specifics of this situation, but my point is what an employee says and does outside of work can bring in to question their ability to do a job.
On another note, posting such views on Facebook COULD be a violation of the Hatch Act depending on what information this person has on their profile (for example if they have their title/job in the "About" section).

I don't know that I would report someone for a Facebook post. People have the freedom to say and think what they want outside of work. You can think differently than someone, even outright dislike them for thier views all day long, hell I wouldn't be opposed to throwing it into the Ole facility rumor mill (Philly had the right idea), but I wouldn't want to be judge, jury and executionor of someone's career because I disagreed with thier views, even my loose morals can't handle that one.

I know technically, yes it could be a violation, but where do we draw the line here? What if someone posted something about being an anarchist that advocated the violent overthrow of the police state? That could be construed as anti government, while working for the government. Is that discipline worthy or fireable?

I dunno, if it were me I'd take that little nugget of knowledge and rest easy knowing exactly who I'm dealing with from now on, and if it ever became a work issue, then I'd whip it out, not before.

I will say that dozing is illegal, and how so many people get away with it is beyond me, but people showing what your wrote on a public site is not doxxing, and you suffer the consequences of what you say. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from people knowing you’re an ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom