OT list not followed

Duckbutter

So I know the remedy if you get skipped on the OT list but what if it’s the other way around? I am scheduled to work OT a few weeks in a row and they’ve skipped someone else and I don’t want to work one of the shifts.

Solution
Your old facility's MOU in not in compliance with the CBA. My old facility was handling it the same. Facrep insisted it was permitted. I disagreed, and so did the RVP. Then it got fixed.

Two consecutive or non-consecutive weeks including RDOs means any two seven consecutive calenday day periods OR any single period of 14 consecutive days (7 days + 7 days).

When either of those periods start is at the discretion of the employee.

Example: Any employee, regardless of crew assignment, would be allowed to bid from August 1 through August 14.

That same employee could also bid from August 10 through the 16 and from Nov 20 through Nov 26. Doesn't matter where his/her RDOs fall.

All seven-day periods would be protected from OT assignment...
So I know the remedy if you get skipped on the OT list but what if it’s the other way around? I am scheduled to work OT a few weeks in a row and they’ve skipped someone else and I don’t want to work one of the shifts.
At my previous facility when an OT gets scheduled it counted against their hours even if it’s not published. It’s possible it was correct when they did the schedule for that pay period. If that’s the case it’s yours. I don’t like OT anymore so I don’t pay attention to the hours.

At my previous facility when an OT gets scheduled it counted against their hours even if it’s not published. It’s possible it was correct when they did the schedule for that pay period. If that’s the case it’s yours. I don’t like OT anymore so I don’t pay attention to the hours.
I know for a fact that I had more hours when the OT was assigned in web. Now that I have all 3 shifts I have like 20+ more hours than them. They have leave this week but the OT is the first day of their 7 day week next week so that shouldn’t matter right?

I know for a fact that I had more hours when the OT was assigned in web. Now that I have all 3 shifts I have like 20+ more hours than them. They have leave this week but the OT is the first day of their 7 day week next week so that shouldn’t matter right?
If it’s in their 7 days of leave, they should skip them. Or they can ask but most facilities don’t.

To address The post above, they are correct. all OT is assigned based on pulling up the list for that day and running the list assuming all overtime up to that point had been assigned.

Show management where they went wrong and WMT allows them to remove hours to ensure alll future lists are followed correctly. Problem solved.

Your facility may be different but mine will only leave your RDO next to the leave open. The other day off is fair game. I would just bang in sick instead of raising a fuss. Easier than making a big fight and having them deny it anyway. They should put you back on TDO instead of SL so in a couple weeks it will be forgotten about lol.

Your facility may be different but mine will only leave your RDO next to the leave open. The other day off is fair game. I would just bang in sick instead of raising a fuss. Easier than making a big fight and having them deny it anyway. They should put you back on TDO instead of SL so in a couple weeks it will be forgotten about lol.
This is not a facility thing. That’s how the contract reads. This is not that hard. Why bang in sick and be charged the time? If you don’t care then I respect that.

But all you say is Hey I don’t want that OT and I think it should have been assigned to him instead. Here’s why I think that.

They will then take away your time and reassign the OT if it’s legit or you will learn something. Talk to your rep first so they can either do it for you or back you up after you approach management or come in to the meeting with you.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I talked to a supe and they seemed to acknowledge that it was done incorrectly. Problem is the person who should be assigned the OT is gone on leave now and definitely isn’t going to answer now so I’m going to be stuck with it. I’ll definitely tell them to take the 8 hours I was charged for this off since it shouldn’t have been assigned to me, thanks for that idea.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I talked to a supe and they seemed to acknowledge that it was done incorrectly. Problem is the person who should be assigned the OT is gone on leave now and definitely isn’t going to answer now so I’m going to be stuck with it. I’ll definitely tell them to take the 8 hours I was charged for this off since it shouldn’t have been assigned to me, thanks for that idea.
If you work the OT you’ll be charged the hours. They won’t just not count it because you shouldn’t have got it. That makes no sense. That’ll screw up the OT hours worked for future OT calls.

If the person is on leave and won’t answer either contact them yourself if you want to get them to work it, or have the fac rep reach out, or one of their friends. If they don’t get back, you work the OT and should be charged the hours. And he might get 2 hours of regular pay if they want because he was skipped

If you work the OT you’ll be charged the hours. They won’t just not count it because you shouldn’t have got it. That makes no sense. That’ll screw up the OT hours worked for future OT calls.

If the person is on leave and won’t answer either contact them yourself if you want to get them to work it, or have the fac rep reach out, or one of their friends. If they don’t get back, you work the OT and should be charged the hours. And he might get 2 hours of regular pay if they want because he was skipped
Yeah whoops meant to say I found someone to work it that’s on the No list. So I think given all the circumstances it’s not unreasonable to say I shouldn’t be charged for it.

Yeah whoops meant to say I found someone to work it that’s on the No list. So I think given all the circumstances it’s not unreasonable to say I shouldn’t be charged for it.
That’s not how the OT list/assignments work based on the contract.

You are assigned and gave it up, you don’t then get to move back up the list because you didn’t want that particular overtime. Again, this screws up the OT list for future OT assignments. I understand that happens throughout the country at some facilities but it is against how the contract is worded and how the list is supposed to work. Like when refuse an OT shift for a call in, you are still charged the hours. That’s why you don’t pick up if you dont want it….you giving it up is the same exact thing.

This is not a facility thing. That’s how the contract reads. This is not that hard. Why bang in sick and be charged the time? If you don’t care then I respect that.

But all you say is Hey I don’t want that OT and I think it should have been assigned to him instead. Here’s why I think that.

They will then take away your time and reassign the OT if it’s legit or you will learn something. Talk to your rep first so they can either do it for you or back you up after you approach management or come in to the meeting with you.
My previous facility had a checklist for OT the sups had to follow. Do you want OT? Do you want to be scheduled OT next to approved leave? Do you want to be called for OT next to approved leave? Some places put ground certified trainees in with the CPCs. Some make them be called last before the no listers. Some are after no listers. Some won’t let any trainee have OT no matter where they are in training. Been to four facilities and non operated exactly the same. Some places don’t even reset your hours yearly.

That’s not how the OT list/assignments work based on the contract.

You are assigned and gave it up, you don’t then get to move back up the list because you didn’t want that particular overtime. Again, this screws up the OT list for future OT assignments. I understand that happens throughout the country at some facilities but it is against how the contract is worded and how the list is supposed to work. Like when refuse an OT shift for a call in, you are still charged the hours. That’s why you don’t pick up if you dont want it….you giving it up is the same exact thing.
The contract also states that management is supposed maintain an OT list and follow it. Which they didn’t do. So your solution for them not following the rules is to just shut up and take it?

The contract also states that management is supposed maintain an OT list and follow it. Which they didn’t do. So your solution for them not following the rules is to just shut up and take it?
Intentional skip or mistake, they skipped someone. The remedy is contractually defined, no where does it say you get your OT hours removed. Contractually if you then get another overtime based on that removal of hours presumably you’d skip someone else based on actual overtime hours worked and that person would in fact be owed for that slip now. So now you’re asking them to break the contract again, the contract we as the u ion agreed to.

My previous facility had a checklist for OT the sups had to follow. Do you want OT? Do you want to be scheduled OT next to approved leave? Do you want to be called for OT next to approved leave? Some places put ground certified trainees in with the CPCs. Some make them be called last before the no listers. Some are after no listers. Some won’t let any trainee have OT no matter where they are in training. Been to four facilities and non operated exactly the same. Some places don’t even reset your hours yearly.
All of these things are defined in the contract and specified for local operations in the local mou. But this OP talks about none of that just merely states skipped. However I am In fact assuming the employees are of equal qualifications. In some cases sometimes the skip may be acceptable, CIC on a mid for instance.

Last edited:
Intentional skip or mistake, they skipped someone. The remedy is contractually defined, no where does it say you get your OT hours removed. Contractually if you then get another overtime based on that removal of hours presumably you’d skip someone else based on actual overtime hours worked and that person would in fact be owed for that slip now. So now you’re asking them to break the contract again, the contract we as the u ion agreed to.
I shouldn’t have been assigned OT and I’m not actually working it. Not a stretch to believe I shouldn’t be charged for it. We do shit every day that isn’t defined by the contract. You’re basically telling me I should take one for the team because management screwed up. I appreciate your feedback but I guess I don’t see it that way.

I shouldn’t have been assigned OT and I’m not actually working it. Not a stretch to believe I shouldn’t be charged for it. We do shit every day that isn’t defined by the contract. You’re basically telling me I should take one for the team because management screwed up. I appreciate your feedback but I guess I don’t see it that way.
I’m not, the contract says that. Until they get a hold of the rightful owner of that OT, its just making it up. Best thing you can do to make sure the contract is followed is do it the way it should be done, you pass you get charged.

I always love the argument we don’t follow rules all the time what’s one more? As of that makes it right.

Edit: see it the way you do all you want but This is one of the easiest problems to fix because how it’s supposed to work as defined and ironed out and written down in advance. The facrep can easily fix this because they negotiated the mou.

Last edited:

Where does it say your RDO next to prime leave is protected? I have not been able to find that in the contract.

Back
Top Bottom