OT on holiday no extra holiday :(

Yeah but I pick my rdos to have 4th of July off and get a PM overtime
bang bang sport GIF by WWE

Problem solved.

Unless you're on 4-10s

I've never had 4-10s but one of the people who does was saying that they only get 8 hours of holiday pay. The Slate Book says you get holiday pay "for that holiday work actually performed, which is not in excess of their regular tour of duty." Might be something about how 4-10s are a compressed work schedule and not a "regular tour of duty" maybe? Or are they just getting screwed?

It's also possible I could be mixing together two different conversations, maybe they were saying that you do get 10 hours of holiday pay if you work 4-10s, but if you normally work 5-8s and have two hours of holdover you don't get holiday pay for the holdover.

I've never had 4-10s but one of the people who does was saying that they only get 8 hours of holiday pay. The Slate Book says you get holiday pay "for that holiday work actually performed, which is not in excess of their regular tour of duty." Might be something about how 4-10s are a compressed work schedule and not a "regular tour of duty" maybe? Or are they just getting screwed?

It's also possible I could be mixing together two different conversations, maybe they were saying that you do get 10 hours of holiday pay if you work 4-10s, but if you normally work 5-8s and have two hours of holdover you don't get holiday pay for the holdover.
You also only get 8 hours of holiday pay if you work a day shift and come back for the mid.

If you bid an AWS of 4-10s, you get 10 hours of holiday pay. If you're on 8s, you only get 8 hours. Doesn't matter if it's in lieu of or not. That's why 10s has such a huge advantage for earning potential over their peers. 10 hours of holiday pay and Sunday pay. And potential for 2 full overtime shifts each week. Those 10 hour days sure can lower your quality of life during the work week though. I thought about going back to 8s for a better quality of daily life but the perks of 10s are too good.

If you bid an AWS of 4-10s, you get 10 hours of holiday pay. If you're on 8s, you only get 8 hours. Doesn't matter if it's in lieu of or not. That's why 10s has such a huge advantage for earning potential over their peers. 10 hours of holiday pay and Sunday pay. And potential for 2 full overtime shifts each week. Those 10 hour days sure can lower your quality of life during the work week though. I thought about going back to 8s for a better quality of daily life but the perks of 10s are too good.
It’s surprising how you can get 4 10s in facilities that have that much OT available

They are just getting screwed. Probably at a low level tower only which should be consolidated and that’s how they have the manning to do 4 - 10’s, and the ATM “looked into it” and said they only get 8 hours holidays and nobody ever dreamed to question it or research it themselves as they have no union presence there.

It’s surprising how you can get 4 10s in facilities that have that much OT available
Because 4 10s are financially efficient for coverage. 2 people on 10s are essentially covering 2.5 people on 8s throughout a workday. This is how it has always been explained to me. Simple examples listed below…

2 people on 4 10s and 1 person on 5 8s:
0600-1600
1400-0000
2300-0700
24 hours of coverage with only 4 hours overlapping

4 people on 5 8s:
0600-1400
1100-1900
1600-0000
2300-0700
24 hours of coverage with 8 hours overlapping

The Agency is essentially getting a cost reduction of 4 hours every day. (Example: $80 a hour employee saves them $320 each day and $116,800 a year and that’s just on the hourly cost not even counting other employee benefits such as: healthcare, pension, TSP contributions, et cetera.)

Because 4 10s are financially efficient for coverage. 2 people on 10s are essentially covering 2.5 people on 8s throughout a workday. This is how it has always been explained to me. Simple examples listed below…

2 people on 4 10s and 1 person on 5 8s:
0600-1600
1400-0000
2300-0700
24 hours of coverage with only 4 hours overlapping

4 people on 5 8s:
0600-1400
1100-1900
1600-0000
2300-0700
24 hours of coverage with 8 hours overlapping

The Agency is essentially getting a cost reduction of 4 hours every day. (Example: $80 a hour employee saves them $320 each day and $116,800 a year and that’s just on the hourly cost not even counting other employee benefits such as: healthcare, pension, TSP contributions, et cetera.)
I guess it depends where you need the most overlap. If it was truly better you’d think sold facilities would do it

Last edited:

I got 10 hours of holiday pay on my 4-10. You’re working 10 hours, on a holiday or in lieu of day. Works out to more an extra holiday of pay, which is nice

Back
Top Bottom