Retirement (FAQ)

DankVectorz

Forum Sage
FAA
Facility
N90 New York Tracon
Does military time count towards MRA? Seem to be getting mixed answers and haven’t found a reference anywhere

GMX

Trusted Contributor
What exactly does my MRA mean if I’m forced out at 56 tho?
I'm going to assume people posting here are all born after 1970...I think it means if you can get 30 years of actively controlling traffic by 56, then get any other federal job until 57, you'll get 1.7% high 3 pension for the ATC and the other 1% or whatever 'til 57. If you start at age 26 then you can get 1.7% for all 30 years, then 1% for that last year to 57. I started at age 30 so it won't work for me. I have other federal service but not ATC. I'll probably just retire at age 55 with 20 years ATC at 1.7% and 5 years other federal at 1%.

Omegahare

Forum Sage
I'm going to assume people posting here are all born after 1970...I think it means if you can get 30 years of actively controlling traffic by 56, then get any other federal job until 57, you'll get 1.7% high 3 pension for the ATC and the other 1% or whatever 'til 57. If you start at age 26 then you can get 1.7% for all 30 years, then 1% for that last year to 57. I started at age 30 so it won't work for me. I have other federal service but not ATC. I'll probably just retire at age 55 with 20 years ATC at 1.7% and 5 years other federal at 1%.
It's also very important for everyone, who's considering trying to get to your MRA, to either do all the math or have a firm do it for you because there are some scenarios where the MRA+30 retirement option is actually worse than the normal ATC option. Sounded ridiculous to me at first but it's true.

KnockKnock

Trusted Contributor
It's also very important for everyone, who's considering trying to get to your MRA, to either do all the math or have a firm do it for you because there are some scenarios where the MRA+30 retirement option is actually worse than the normal ATC option. Sounded ridiculous to me at first but it's true.
Any chance you recall one of these scenarios?

Just my opinion, but I think if you can do 25 and retire before say 51, thats 6+ more years of drawing a pension, which would have to weigh against life expectancy. If my expectancy is 68, if rather have 18ish years of 40 percent retirement over 11 years of 52 percent. Its all in what you want. The way I look at it is the day I'm eligible, I and officially working for my salary-what my pension would be.

jdatc

Trusted Contributor
I believe it has to do with cola adjustments as if you take the mra+30 you don’t get them for a bit (age 62). Therefore if you do the non mra +30, which would be 44% at 30 years and you get a decent cola (cost of living adjustment) for the years before you are eligible per the other one, you should be ahead.

Last edited:

Omegahare

Forum Sage
I believe it has to do with cola adjustments as if you take the mra+30 you don’t get them for a bit (age 62). Therefore if you do the non mra +30, which would be 44% at 30 years and you get a decent cola (cost of living adjustment) for the years before you are eligible per the other one, you should be ahead.
This sounds familiar

Homsar

Trusted Contributor
I recall reading in another thread here that high 3 includes your time at a facility even if you do not complete training there (Example: Training at a level 11 for a year but then NESTing out, the base pay you had during that time, assuming your salary never reached a high at that point again during the rest of your career, is counted as 1 of hour high 3). Is that true/is there any documentation on that?