RNO

I got to RNO right before they downgraded from an 8 to a 5. The TRACON had just left when I got there. I saw 2 wash the 3 years I was there. One couldn't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. But the other one the culture of the facility hurt him. I was happy he got another facility, went there and checked out. I heard the culture got even worse after I left RNO. Its a very easy tower to work. So even though I'm no longer there I believe a high washout rate would HAVE to be the culture. It DEFINITELY isn't the traffic. Its a VERY easy operation.

Lot more traffic coming through now versus then, and the local flight training has been booming. Either way, like I originally said, it's the culture here that sinks people. Doesnt help half the tower is making almost 8 pay, some better.

Lot more traffic coming through now versus then, and the local flight training has been booming. Either way, like I originally said, it's the culture here that sinks people. Doesnt help half the tower is making almost 8 pay, some better.
Yeah, I was one of the level 8 people there. Most of us left tho. I know a few will never leave, like my old trainer ZZ LOL. That dude is DEFINITELY RNO for life. Good dude, miss working with him.

Why is the pass rate so low? What kind of traffic is there? Do you get any type of radar experience there?
A lot of the people we get are NEST and Prev Exp hires who honestly shouldn't be talking to planes in the first place, CTI or OTS do all right though OTS hasn't washed anyone out of RNO in quite a while. Sometimes people have a hard time dealing with the mix of traffic, you'll see everything fly through and they always come in waves. I've had a U2 on practices approaches, a 1928 Trimotor doing downtown tours, and a F2TH doing laps on the crossing runway while working working normal GA and carriers within a 30 minute window...then it was dead for 2 hours. Mostly, people freeze up at CA alarms or just don't have any business being in ATC in the first place. It's a great place to start and you'll see everything come through, we mostly just have NEST placements and Prev Exp that continue to be shit. Currently since 2017 we've had 14 people come through and only 5 have certified so far.

A lot of the people we get are NEST and Prev Exp hires who honestly shouldn't be talking to planes in the first place, CTI or OTS do all right though OTS hasn't washed anyone out of RNO in quite a while. Sometimes people have a hard time dealing with the mix of traffic, you'll see everything fly through and they always come in waves. I've had a U2 on practices approaches, a 1928 Trimotor doing downtown tours, and a F2TH doing laps on the crossing runway while working working normal GA and carriers within a 30 minute window...then it was dead for 2 hours. Mostly, people freeze up at CA alarms or just don't have any business being in ATC in the first place. It's a great place to start and you'll see everything come through, we mostly just have NEST placements and Prev Exp that continue to be shit. Currently since 2017 we've had 14 people come through and only 5 have certified so far.
Well about 75% of that was basically written in Chinese to me. Is nest the process for sending center washouts to terminal?

Is training backed up significantly, or did your facility washout 9 in the past 4 years?

If one were to be assigned, I mean "choose," reno how long would the typical AG be stuck there? Seems like a decent place with a lot to offer as far as outdoor exploration/recreation.

And the most important question: where da women at?

Thanks for your insight!

Well about 75% of that was basically written in Chinese to me. Is nest the process for sending center washouts to terminal?

Is training backed up significantly, or did your facility washout 9 in the past 4 years?

If one were to be assigned, I mean "choose," reno how long would the typical AG be stuck there? Seems like a decent place with a lot to offer as far as outdoor exploration/recreation.

And the most important question: where da women at?

Thanks for your insight!

NEST is for placement of washouts in general, whether termination or another facility, centers just get lucky because they're "level 12". Training isn't backed up at all, we're staffed at a 15 for target so it's not often we get a lot of trainees, so 9 of the last 4 years have washed. I was probably the fastest to go from AG to another facility, in total about 4 years training was about 5 months total not counting leave etc etc, it's made more frustrating by people washing out and losing releases.

Reno is a great place to live, anything anyone could want and without income tax. As for "da women" I would suggest Tinder, or just scuz around the university, I've heard J-Swipe is fairly barren from a coworker if you're of the Abrahmic persuasion.

NEST is for placement of washouts in general, whether termination or another facility, centers just get lucky because they're "level 12". Training isn't backed up at all, we're staffed at a 15 for target so it's not often we get a lot of trainees, so 9 of the last 4 years have washed. I was probably the fastest to go from AG to another facility, in total about 4 years training was about 5 months total not counting leave etc etc, it's made more frustrating by people washing out and losing releases.

Reno is a great place to live, anything anyone could want and without income tax. As for "da women" I would suggest Tinder, or just scuz around the university, I've heard J-Swipe is fairly barren from a coworker if you're of the Abrahmic persuasion.
Sounds like a decent deal. 4 years, eh? Thats not horrible. Reno is number 9 on the list so it's excellent news of you get an ag!!!

I think that's the funniest thing to read. You get CA-CAs every 10 seconds in Class B airspace, I can't imagine someone freezing up at the sound of a single one.
We've had someone curl up in the fetal position, I wish I was joking, for "squeezing" a skylane in front of a Dash8 on a 4 mile final. To be fair they were about 3 hours into local...but still...both CA and LA are common enough if they aren't going off then you're not working it right.
Sounds like a decent deal. 4 years, eh? Thats not horrible. Reno is number 9 on the list so it's excellent news of you get an ag!!!

I'm out in about a month, good luck to whoever gets it.

From the current class? Unlikely. All 9 would have to pass.

Well I see you enjoying shitting on random parades

Last edited:
Just got RNO. Have prior tower experience working military/contract towers as well. Should I be concerned about the washout rate? The only thing im concerned about is the intersecting runways. I’ve only worked parallels so that’s what I’ll most likely need to work on.

Just got RNO. Have prior tower experience working military/contract towers as well. Should I be concerned about the washout rate? The only thing im concerned about is the intersecting runways. I’ve only worked parallels so that’s what I’ll most likely need to work on.
I know a gal there. Says it’s improved a lot and the washout rate is from years back. You’ll be fine I’m sure. Intersecting runways aren’t as terrible as is made out once you see what the flow and timing is. If she’s on here, I’ll see if she is willing to reach out!

I just left RNO, the airport isn't bad though when I left the success rate on here is not the actual one. I believe since 2018 they've washed 70% of the people that have come through, though it is largely due to poor trainee quality/poor trainers. That's if my math is correct but only 3 certified out of an overall 10 for 2018-2021. I haven't included the 4/5 poor souls going through training at this moment.

Last person to washout was at 20hrs on GC/FD, if you have any specific questions just let me know.

Chronically shortstaffed prior to COVID, multiple people who will manipulate their schedule and get others OT/holdovers.

How do you wash out with only 20 hours on fd/gc?
I just left RNO, the airport isn't bad though when I left the success rate on here is not the actual one. I believe since 2018 they've washed 70% of the people that have come through, though it is largely due to poor trainee quality/poor trainers. That's if my math is correct but only 3 certified out of an overall 10 for 2018-2021. I haven't included the 4/5 poor souls going through training at this moment.

Last person to washout was at 20hrs on GC/FD, if you have any specific questions just let me know.

Chronically shortstaffed prior to COVID, multiple people who will manipulate their schedule and get others OT/holdovers.

Bad trainees, or bad OJTIs?

How do you wash out with only 20 hours on fd/gc?
There's a supe that "trains for the TRB" verbatim from that person. Pretty much the trainee had been SET from the classroom multiple times for not being able to do basic stuff. (Reading clearances etc etc) 20 hours into GC/CD/FD combined and they suspended training. TRB concurred for termination, supe documents stuff for the TRB.
Bad trainees, or bad OJTIs?

Both. Of course not all, but a select few in terms of OJTI and a string of NEST and PrevExp that weren't up to par to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom