Sound Quality of ATC Freqs

ONE

Trusted Contributor
Hey guys, newbie here going to academy in two months.

I've been listening to some of the liveatc audio streams- (notably ZLA)

Is sound quality the same as on the job? How do you guys comprehend what the other person is saying?

Some of those feeds are hit and miss online. Also, there are times when you’ll be listening to one frequency and the controller will be working two frequencies at once so you won’t hear pilot responses. To piggyback on the point above, this job will make you a good listener. Subtle distinctions and what may seem like minor read back errors can cause absolute mayhem.

What he said. When I started I had a really hard time understanding people on frequency but you will develop an ear for it. There are also varying levels of quality in a given transmitter and/or specific transmissions based on location of the transmitter. Pilots have to get good at it too. We have a guy who speaks very quietly and quickly; you'd think pilots would have a hard time understanding if I have a hard time in the same room but they always seem to hear him well.

LiveATC gets its feeds from radios in people’s homes. It’s not at all indicative to how the actual freqs sound .

My facility's liveatc channel only picks up pilots who are in the air. Whoever operates that channel must not live close enough to the airport.

Thanks guys- do you recommend I listen to it prior to going to academy so I can get used to the quality (even if it is a little better when I work?)

Back
Top Bottom