Facility Level History​

Old LevelNew LevelEffective Date
543/1/2020

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Hello All,
Just got picked up with a start in June for STT. Was just wondering if anyone could give any insight to the facility there. I understand that there are perks with choosing this location and cant really get confirmation or not. Just wondering if there was infact perks or not. No big deal if there is or not, just wondering. Thank you for your time.
PP

As far as the facility, I heard it's one of the easiest operations in the entire FAA. If by perks you mean COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) then you're correct. Back in 2012 it was ~13%, but I'm not sure if it's increased since then. COLA is untaxed.

I think they are trying to phase out COLA though aren't they? Not sure when that is going into effect but if you are calculating your salary based on that it's something to keep in mind

I think they are trying to phase out COLA though aren't they? Not sure when that is going into effect but if you are calculating your salary based on that it's something to keep in mind

COLA is being replaced with locality pay, it doesn't go away. The pay cards here are correct.

There's several people on the site who work/worked at STT, I'm sure they can give firsthand info.

I worked at STT from August 2012-March 2014. If you cannot check out there, you have NO business working traffic. One runway 7000 x 150, two taxiways, roughly 65k ops/year. All the major airlines serve the island. Level 5, Class Charlie airspace. San Juan runs their approaches. Operating hours are 0700-2130 EDT, 0700-2230 EST. Good first facility, crappy island. High cost of living. COLA was 13.84% when I was there, government provided housing.

I worked at STT from August 2012-March 2014. If you cannot check out there, you have NO business working traffic. One runway 7000 x 150, two taxiways, roughly 65k ops/year. All the major airlines serve the island. Level 5, Class Charlie airspace. San Juan runs their approaches. Operating hours are 0700-2130 EDT, 0700-2230 EST. Good first facility, crappy island. High cost of living. COLA was 13.84% when I was there, government provided housing.

Did the provided housing offset the cost of living by quite a lot? Or do you still have to pay some sort of government rate?

Did the provided housing offset the cost of living by quite a lot? Or do you still have to pay some sort of government rate?

It did actually. I still had to pay $1000/ month out of my check, but it definitely helped offset the cost. After taxes and deuctions, I was still bringing in around $1300/ check.

Any news from the facility? Saw they're doing a temp tower that got airlifted in, but was watching the news saying St Thomas is an increasingly dangerous place to be, lots of armed robberies and such. Did the agency help airlift out the families?

Any news from the facility? Saw they're doing a temp tower that got airlifted in, but was watching the news saying St Thomas is an increasingly dangerous place to be, lots of armed robberies and such. Did the agency help airlift out the families?
As of now, they're living in San Juan, each morning three people are flown in to STT in the morning, then flown out at night. They're 3+ months to returning to any type of normalcy. @See You Next Time can give you a better update.

is it still dangerous at this location?

It did actually. I still had to pay $1000/ month out of my check, but it definitely helped offset the cost. After taxes and deuctions, I was still bringing in around $1300/ check.
did you mean $1300/check after the $1000/month or $500 each check?

Any insight in terms of going here straight out of the academy? What are the perks (if any) and how would you recommend finding housing so quickly? And will your salary prior to CPC be enough to afford to live there? (How much will you bring home monthly)

Any insight in terms of going here straight out of the academy? What are the perks (if any) and how would you recommend finding housing so quickly? And will your salary prior to CPC be enough to afford to live there? (How much will you bring home monthly)
You'll have no problem finding affordable housing, you'll be making 50K out of the academy and 68k when you certify through ground a few months later.

Perks?
If you're single, it's tough to beat. You live in paradise with an ever revolving door of cruise ships and vacationers looking for a good time.

In terms of facility perks, one of the easiest operations and quickest checkout in the NAS.

In terms of finding housing, you'd select STT at the start of the academy and have 3 months to get in touch with their FacRep, check out places online, etc. Once you pass you should already have your plan in motion compared to the rest of your class that has to start from scratch.

You'll have no problem finding affordable housing, you'll be making 50K out of the academy and 68k when you certify through ground a few months later.

Perks?
If you're single, it's tough to beat. You live in paradise with an ever revolving door of cruise ships and vacationers looking for a good time.

In terms of facility perks, one of the easiest operations and quickest checkout in the NAS.

In terms of finding housing, you'd select STT at the start of the academy and have 3 months to get in touch with their FacRep, check out places online, etc. Once you pass you should already have your plan in motion compared to the rest of your class that has to start from scratch.

I would disagree. Just a quick look on Zillow shows one rental, 1,300 sf. for $2100/ month. Utilities are much higher than they are on the mainland, as is just about everything else, save alcohol. You are looking at close to $5 for a gallon of gas and $8 for a gallon of milk. If someone is interested, I would urge them to visit vimovingcenter.com. This will give you a realistic look at what you can expect to pay for everyday items.

From what I understand, the Agency no longer provides housing so costs have skyrocketed for the controllers there.

I would disagree. Just a quick look on Zillow shows one rental, 1,300 sf. for $2100/ month. Utilities are much higher than they are on the mainland, as is just about everything else, save alcohol. You are looking at close to $5 for a gallon of gas and $8 for a gallon of milk. If someone is interested, I would urge them to visit vimovingcenter.com. This will give you a realistic look at what you can expect to pay for everyday items.

From what I understand, the Agency no longer provides housing so costs have skyrocketed for the controllers there.
You are correct in that the Agency no longer provides housing. If you know where to look there are a number of 1 to 2 bd apartments in the $1,000-$1,500 range. (Zillow is poor for island rentals). The additional 10k of tax-free COLA more then makes up for the higher price of consumer goods when comparing it to a level 5 stateside. His main question was can you afford to live there on a controller salary and while in training, you definitely can. This isn't nantucket/san francisco/long island, etc.

I have this on my list of options but I have 5 children...
Would a single income with 5 dependents be able to survive here? Housing to fit everyone. 4 bedroom homes even available? Schools any good, area safe?

I am incapable of answering those, but I will say you should take into consideration the cost of moving as well, a 6 person family doesnt sound like a cheap move to the Virgin Islands.

Just got the temp offer STT and trying to find out more info, other than the facility info listed in the resources section. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom