Trainees with weekends off

Trainee RDOs are set up to align with available trainers and traffic. Nobody talks about trainees not deserving certain days off like they haven’t earned it. They are training and have no say.

We bid ours based on seniority. But available slots are built based on trainer availability. So not all RDOs are available.

I think if you have 7 trainees or more all 7 lines should be available, I never got the facilities that refused weekend day off lines to trainees. Pretty soon the NAS will be so flooded with trainees it will be logistically impossible to restrict weekends.

Trainee RDOs are set up to align with available trainers and traffic. Nobody talks about trainees not deserving certain days off like they haven’t earned it. They are training and have no say.

The weekends are viewed as just as busy as the rest of the week, if not, then less busy. There are also less trainers that work on the weekends, because it is a younger group of controllers who are not yet qualified. This is for a facility with 7+ trainees. So without having Sun/Mon, Sat/Sun, Fri/Sat, for Trainees to select from, the other lines have 2+ trainees to accommodate.

Upon discussion, general consensus at the facility is that others worked for years for the weekend RDOs, so it is not right to have it without being CPC.

Wanted to see if any other facility also...operate the same way.

The weekends are viewed as just as busy as the rest of the week, if not, then less busy. There are also less trainers that work on the weekends, because it is a younger group of controllers who are not yet qualified. This is for a facility with 7+ trainees. So without having Sun/Mon, Sat/Sun, Fri/Sat, for Trainees to select from, the other lines have 2+ trainees to accommodate.

Upon discussion, general consensus at the facility is that others worked for years for the weekend RDOs, so it is not right to have it without being CPC.

Not in any of the 4 facilities I’ve been to. Less trainers on the weekend would make it more likely to get a weekend off RDO set right? Conflicting points there.

Exactly! But if it made sense, and trainees had RDOs that followed the lines with the most trainers, they would end up with weekends off, which is a no no. ATM & Natca Rep agrees to it, so not sure what can be done.
Probably nothing until you run for rep or sup lol.

But know your reps and management are total D bags.

Last edited:

My area at a Z went out of its way to make sure trainees were spaced as evenly as possible across all RDOs so max training could happen.

Does your facility also require trainees to bid leave with CPCs because you haven’t earned the right to get Christmas or thanksgiving off yet?

Probably nothing until you run for rep or sup lol.

But know your reps and management are total D bags.

+1.
But you can offer a negative sentiment from me to them. Completely bogus.
My first facility gave whatever made sense for training. Rep's attitude was "enjoy the weekends while they last, this is your last hurrah".
Second facility was "we'll assign your training RDOs based on nothing, regardless of what you ask for." As a CPC-IT with same-level experience I ended up on some weekday line while someone off the street got F/S off. But yeah, nothing I could do.

My last facility had trainers on every line of the weekends, so most trainees went there. I was an idiot and bid down to Tues/We’d/Thur a few years back to get every major holiday off. Only other plus side to that line was not having to train anyone

Definitely NOT a country club.

Ours get the days of their main trainer then bid days with the other trainees when it’s time.

Our trainees bid senority for days off based on available trainers. Most try to avoid weekend RDOs because you would miss out on busier Saturday traffic and those trainers burned the most leave.

Back
Top Bottom