Old LevelNew LevelEffective Date
569/12/2021
657/21/2019

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

how is this place?
I know several people who have worked here. They all loved it! It's only open 6A-midnight, so no overnight shifts. Everyone is super nice. The views are beautiful (Those Appalachian mountains ❤). Not a lot of traffic except when the Bristol NASCAR race weekends are happening. And it's an up /down. The surrounding Tri-Cities isn't a bad place to live unless you're the kind of person who always has to have something to do or likes big cities.

I know several people who have worked here. They all loved it! It's only open 6A-midnight, so no overnight shifts. Everyone is super nice. The views are beautiful (Those Appalachian mountains ❤). Not a lot of traffic except when the Bristol NASCAR race weekends are happening. And it's an up /down. The surrounding Tri-Cities isn't a bad place to live unless you're the kind of person who always has to have something to do or likes big cities.
Sounds like a perfect candidate to be consolidated though 804.

Consolidate with BNA! We will call it B90 and have split the tower/TRACON.

I have special nostalgia for TRI. Used to fly out when visiting Boone & Blowing Rock!

20% CIP & unlimited OT! You can vouch for me to ERR...

Last edited by a moderator:
just got tri just wondering how is the area And the airport
We're definitely a little rural but there's plenty of outdoor activities if you're into that sort of thing - lots of hiking (the Appalachian Trail runs through the area) and plenty of lakes if you enjoy spending time on the water. The cost of living is very low so although we're now only a Level 5 you'll still be able to live comfortably in any one of the three "Tri-Cities". Asheville is an hour away and Knoxville is around 90 minutes.

The airport is pretty slow this time of year. Our tracon is where we see the majority of the traffic, especially during the summer months. Staffing has been poor for the last few years but things are starting to look up. I believe we're now over 80% staffed with 5 trainees in the building and 3 more slated to arrive over the next couple of months. We've got a good group of people here now too; the majority are younger as we've had several recent retirements.

We're definitely a little rural but there's plenty of outdoor activities if you're into that sort of thing - lots of hiking (the Appalachian Trail runs through the area) and plenty of lakes if you enjoy spending time on the water. The cost of living is very low so although we're now only a Level 5 you'll still be able to live comfortably in any one of the three "Tri-Cities". Asheville is an hour away and Knoxville is around 90 minutes.

The airport is pretty slow this time of year. Our tracon is where we see the majority of the traffic, especially during the summer months. Staffing has been poor for the last few years but things are starting to look up. I believe we're now over 80% staffed with 5 trainees in the building and 3 more slated to arrive over the next couple of months. We've got a good group of people here now too; the majority are younger as we've had several recent retirements.
thanks for the reply my show up date is mid feb. I was wondering what kind of schedule is it there and where are places to live I saw Johnson city but so most people live further out?

thanks for the reply my show up date is mid feb. I was wondering what kind of schedule is it there and where are places to live I saw Johnson city but so most people live further out?
The Tri-Cities are Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol. We have controllers living in all three cities. The airport is located between the three so it's an easy commute (around 30 mins) to any of them. Johnson City seems to be slightly more popular as there is a little bit more to do than the others. East Tennessee State University is also in Johnson City so there's a younger crowd.

Piney Flats is a great option. If the lake ever comes back up, your close to that as well. Blountville isn’t bad.

How much thought should I put into the 50% success rate? My class has two slots for here and we are all concerned as to why it is so low.

A brief warning about pouring over the training success rates in general: it‘s an average over many years and may not reflect current performance of the facility. I don’t know anything about TRI, but just saying.

Does anyone have any insight into the TRI tower location? Or the area surrounding?
Current CPC at TRI.

Recently upgraded from a level 5 to level 6. Traffic is a good mix of GA and military. Not a whole lot of air carriers. We only have two gates with jet bridges and maybe 6 air carrier departures/arrivals a day. It’s not uncommon to have multiple different types of aircraft in the tower/radar patterns each day. Usually it’s multiple P8’s and multiple C172’s all wanting to be in the tower pattern at the same time, which is where most of our local control trainees struggle. Especially when the crossing runway is in use. Bell Helicopter has a large maintenance facility just off the airport, and they come over a lot for testing. As for radar, we have some higher MVA’s that can make things difficult. We do work a good bit of IFR traffic in and out of two of our satellites (0A9 and VJI). Radar works a lot of practice approaches most days. Again, it’s usually a good mix of different aircraft types.

As for the success rate, I can only speak to the time I’ve been here, and the people who haven’t made it:
A. Didn’t show up to work.
B. Didn’t put any effort in/didn’t want to be here.
C. This job wasn’t for them.

There is a bit of training backlog at the moment, which is trending in the right direction. You can probably expect to sit 2-3 months until you start classroom.

As for the area, if you’re the outdoors type, you’re in heaven. There are multiple lakes/rivers and unlimited hiking/camping within 30 minutes of the facility. Outside of that, the place is pretty rural. The area lacks shopping and dinning options. Personally, I think Bristol’s Main Street has the best entertainment/dining options, but housing kind of sucks there. Johnson city is more of a college town with ETSU in the middle of it. Housing options seem to be better around there. Most of the controllers live in Johnson City or close by. Can’t say much about Kingsport. Most of the town is a chemical plant (Eastman Chemical). Just make sure you stay on the Tennessee side of the state line if you look at Bristol. No state income tax in Tennessee, whereas there is in Virginia.

Management/NATCA all get along just fine. Never an issue there. All of our Sups are in the rotation most days, and our new ATM is always open and understanding when something pops up.

Back
Top Bottom