TSEW waiver due to hardship

robbdawg

Lurker
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or knows someone who has been able to skip TSEW due to a hardship? I recently hardshiped to a location to be the primary caretaker of a family member. I cannot leave that member alone for 4 1/2 weeks due to medical reasons. Any ideas for deviations or know what to do since it is a job duty away from my caretaker responsibility?

thanks in advance

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or knows someone who has been able to skip TSEW due to a hardship? I recently hardshiped to a location to be the primary caretaker of a family member. I cannot leave that member alone for 4 1/2 weeks due to medical reasons. Any ideas for deviations or know what to do since it is a job duty away from my caretaker responsibility?

thanks in advance
I would consult with your FacRep/RVP about it, also keep in mind that if you forgo TSEW (which I highly recommend in its own right) that it would be noted on a TRB provided you are allowed to skip it.

I would consult with your FacRep/RVP about it, also keep in mind that if you forgo TSEW (which I highly recommend in its own right) that it would be noted on a TRB provided you are allowed to skip it.

I did ask locally, and they said it was a district requirement/decision, and that my hardship holds no value. But as I see it, I'm the primary, and only, caretaker, responsible for getting them to and from 2-3 doctor appointments a week.

I don’t imagine they would let you skip it, hardship or not. If it’s a requirement of the training program that you attend, then you are probably hosed. Also since you hardshipped in to there knowing you would likely have to go to TSEW anyway, that’s hard to argue for.

I would rather try to find a home health/transportation alternative for a couple of weeks than risk the facility washing you out for not being able to meet the requirements of the training program.

Not sure what state you're in but mine has a local # 211 that puts ppl in contact with local agencies that are to help ppl in need. There are many volunteer companies that will drive ppl to appts. Hopefully you're able to find temporary help or maybe reach out to another family member. Maybe one has a college student that could do classes from home for a bit. Good luck

Did you have an option for a facility that wouldn’t have required you to take tsew?

Did you have an option for a facility that wouldn’t have required you to take tsew?
I did not have a choice of another facility. This was the only one within the guideline limits and distance requirements

Not sure what state you're in but mine has a local # 211 that puts ppl in contact with local agencies that are to help ppl in need. There are many volunteer companies that will drive ppl to appts. Hopefully you're able to find temporary help or maybe reach out to another family member. Maybe one has a college student that could do classes from home for a bit. Good luck
Thank you for the help. It’s not an option here, but i appreciate your reply and help

This exact same thing happened to me. My district denied my request. I even had the terminal branch manager at the academy agree that I shouldn’t have to go to TSEW mainly because it didn’t apply to my facility (he used to be the ATM at my facility). I have a former supe that is a Team
Manager at the academy that agreed that I didn’t need to go to TSEW and his boss is the one who signs off on those requests but she will not go against a districts wishes. If I were you I would get a letter from one or more drs stating that he/she cannot miss their appointments, hiring a transportation company to do all that would put a financial hardship on you…etc.

Depending on what facility you’re at, TSEW is probably a waste of time.

This exact same thing happened to me. My district denied my request. I even had the terminal branch manager at the academy agree that I shouldn’t have to go to TSEW mainly because it didn’t apply to my facility (he used to be the ATM at my facility). I have a former supe that is a Team
Manager at the academy that agreed that I didn’t need to go to TSEW and his boss is the one who signs off on those requests but she will not go against a districts wishes. If I were you I would get a letter from one or more drs stating that he/she cannot miss their appointments, hiring a transportation company to do all that would put a financial hardship on you…etc.

Depending on what facility you’re at, TSEW is probably a waste of time.
Not a bad idea but the FAA does not care about a financial hardship at all. It’s not in the contract anywhere in Article 99. I know this because I went through something similar during my hardship process.

Back
Top Bottom