Unsuitability for FAA employment | can I do anything?

GodHelpMe

Trusted Contributor
I’m in a rough place mentally knowing that the FAA came to an ultimatum after 3 years fighting to pass the ATSA and finally doing so and moving on just to find out that I’m not suitable for employment. I’ve been debarred from applying for ANY FAA careers until 07/2024.
“You did not provide any mitigating information that would negate your pattern of unemployability. The details were documented in the summary of charges enclosed with your letter. Your actions demonstrated a lack of sound judgment and responsibility.”
I was fired from my previous employer on 3/2020 for falsifying my time card because I wasn’t taking my lunch and working through my shift. 11/2020 I was forced to resign due to COVID.
ive left multiple jobs in the last 10 years because they were either part time or seasonal jobs that helped me in college and with my college schedule.

I don’t know what to do IF I can even do anything, I have no appeal rights to this decision letter, I’m only able to file a complaint.
I’m lost for words and morally crushed because I don’t feel like they considered my education time whatsoever while I was working.

does anyone know if I could do anything or talk to anyone about this decision through the FAA?

A lawyer would be the only realistic option at this point. You’d just need to be ready to accept thousands - possibly tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, and years of waiting with no guarantee that the FAA will reverse their decision. Even after that, there’s the process of passing the Academy, completing training, etc. Nobody can make the determination on whether all of that is worth it or not except you. Sorry you’re in this situation, best of luck with whatever direction you move forward with.

A lawyer would be the only realistic option at this point. You’d just need to be ready to accept thousands - possibly tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, and years of waiting with no guarantee that the FAA will reverse their decision. Even after that, there’s the process of passing the Academy, completing training, etc. Nobody can make the determination on whether all of that is worth it or not except you. Sorry you’re in this situation, best of luck with whatever direction you move forward with.
You’ve got a point, I’ll still have 2-3 years in 2024 being my DOB is on 09/21. I guess I just have to live with it now and give it another go then.

Don’t waste money on a lawyer. There is no appeal avenue for an unsuitable determination. The only thing you can do is reapply after the debarment expires, and try to correct whatever it was they determined was unsuitable.

anything that deals with legal would be a lawyer. get a consultation to see what your options are. and don't be too hard on yourself if things don't go as planned. stuff happens for a reason. maybe you are supposed to do something else in life. there are many things out there if you just open up and give them a chance.

If your heart is set on becoming a controller you should looking into joining the Air Force as a controller. You’ll get a consistent job controlling and you’d more than likely get yourself qualified for previous experience hiring bids as well.
That’s been a thought that’s been lingering in my head since I got the decision letter. Thank you for the advice.

Don’t waste money on a lawyer. There is no appeal avenue for an unsuitable determination. The only thing you can do is reapply after the debarment expires, and try to correct whatever it was they determined was unsuitable.
That’s what I was thinking as well. Would you recommend me emailing the adjudicator and ask the specific reason being?

I’m in a rough place mentally knowing that the FAA came to an ultimatum after 3 years fighting to pass the ATSA and finally doing so and moving on just to find out that I’m not suitable for employment. I’ve been debarred from applying for ANY FAA careers until 07/2024.
“You did not provide any mitigating information that would negate your pattern of unemployability. The details were documented in the summary of charges enclosed with your letter. Your actions demonstrated a lack of sound judgment and responsibility.”
I was fired from my previous employer on 3/2020 for falsifying my time card because I wasn’t taking my lunch and working through my shift. 11/2020 I was forced to resign due to COVID.
ive left multiple jobs in the last 10 years because they were either part time or seasonal jobs that helped me in college and with my college schedule.

I don’t know what to do IF I can even do anything, I have no appeal rights to this decision letter, I’m only able to file a complaint.
I’m lost for words and morally crushed because I don’t feel like they considered my education time whatsoever while I was working.

does anyone know if I could do anything or talk to anyone about this decision through the FAA?
I am suspecting there is more to this story than you are perhaps saying. Debarment does not just happen, did you have a security interview?

I am suspecting there is more to this story than you are perhaps saying. Debarment does not just happen, did you have a security interview?
I had an investigator contact me and asked me about my work history timeline because I had MANY part time/seasonal jobs during college and high school. That’s where I’m shocked because I provided resignation papers from the job that told me to resign. My friend that’s an ATC also said I should’ve gotten an interview but I don’t know if what I got was an interview or to just help me fix my SF-86. Edit: just checked my voicemail, he was an investigator.

Stupid question maybe but you didn't mention it but have you tried calling HR yet?
I haven’t no, I have this thought in my head that they won’t do anything because of what the letter says. “FAA Applicants have no appeal rights” so I feel like this decision is final. But I will contact my POC and the adjudicator. What should I ask or request? This is where I’m lost in my end…

I haven’t no, I have this thought in my head that they won’t do anything because of what the letter says. “FAA Applicants have no appeal rights” so I feel like this decision is final. But I will contact my POC and the adjudicator. What should I ask or request? This is where I’m lost in my end…
Frankly that's your best bet to find out what, if anything you can do, rather than listen to the shithouse internet lawyers on here.

Falsification of a time card and making excuses as to why you were justified should make you more suitable for federal employment. You’d fit right in.
Also need a follow up post 5 years from now if he gets in another way and sees all the jokers we got that didn’t have so called “suitability” issues.
Are they throwing darts at a board? They might be throwing darts at a board.

I had an investigator contact me and asked me about my work history timeline because I had MANY part time/seasonal jobs during college and high school. That’s where I’m shocked because I provided resignation papers from the job that told me to resign. My friend that’s an ATC also said I should’ve gotten an interview but I don’t know if what I got was an interview or to just help me fix my SF-86. Edit: just checked my voicemail, he was an investigator.

Suitability is not the same as security. HR will know nothing except that you’ve been removed from hiring. Already answered what to request.

When I applied I had 32 jobs on the application. However , clearly I had 1 main job at a time. You moved around without sufficient explanation. Then You got fired, got flagged and your inconsistent job history backs up their justification. You are going to be SOL. Reapply when you can. Otherwise it’ll be a waste of heart ache and money

I was fired from my previous employer on 3/2020 for falsifying my time card because I wasn’t taking my lunch and working through my shift.
When I see “falsifying my time card”, the word that immediately jumps into my mind is theft. If I had to guess, that’s why you have been removed from the process because in the eyes of the agency, you admitted to stealing from your prior employer. I don’t know the particulars of the situation obviously… just my gut reaction.

Back
Top Bottom