What facility should I pick?

Atc1234

Probably a complex question but: What type of facility should I try to get if I graduate from the academy? Tower, up/down, or TRACON? And which level? I'm not really picky about my location so should I shoot for the highest level possible? Thanks!!

When I chose my location, I wanted a place where I could get a radar ticket (so an up/down). I also wanted to be somewhere relatively close to family. I'm at a level 6.

I got hired and selected my location prior to the new ERR policy. So it might be a good idea to check staffing levels of the facility you are considering prior to selecting, if you plan on trying to move to the larger facilities.

Probably a complex question but: What type of facility should I try to get if I graduate from the academy? Tower, up/down, or TRACON? And which level? I'm not really picky about my location so should I shoot for the highest level possible? Thanks!!
It depends... What is your end goal?

Personally, I love the tower/tracon environment. Unfortunately it is usually a longer CPC timeframe because of RTF but I wish I had been given a choice back when I was hired instead of directly to a small tower only. Then again... Tower only is much much easier and gets you the job security of CPC faster.

Highest level up/down your offered, at a location at the the very least you can stand.

When I chose my location, I wanted a place where I could get a radar ticket (so an up/down). I also wanted to be somewhere relatively close to family. I'm at a level 6.

I got hired and selected my location prior to the new ERR policy. So it might be a good idea to check staffing levels of the facility you are considering prior to selecting, if you plan on trying to move to the larger facilities.

My home airport is CAE which is a level 6 up/down which would be great to go to. Also, another great place to live/work would be GSP which is a level 6 up/down. I would love to go to either one if offered. Are level 6 facilities busy? I've been to mine a couple of times for tours and the radar seems to be measurably busier than the tower cab.

It depends... What is your end goal?

Probably a level 12 terminal somewhere (CLT, ATL, A80 etc.)

Personally, I love the tower/tracon environment. Unfortunately it is usually a longer CPC timeframe because of RTF but I wish I had been given a choice back when I was hired instead of directly to a small tower only. Then again... Tower only is much much easier and gets you the job security of CPC faster.

Thanks for your input. I see you are at LEX. I've been through the area several times and it looks like a really nice area to live. Are you guys taking academy hires? I would strongly consider working there if offered. And yeah even though tower would be quicker, I have asked controllers at my nearest facility and they say checking out takes about a year (level 6 up/down), which I honestly don't think is too bad.

Highest level up/down your offered, at a location at the the very least you can stand.

Seems to be the common theme here. Thanks!

If your goal is to work at a 12 tower, with the new ERR system in place, your fastest way to certify and start bidding out is through the highest staffed tower only offered after the academy. If you go to a small level up/down out of the academy, depending on where you end up, it's a long training process and by the time your facility becomes eligible, you're competing with more people for potentially 1 release spot.

For me personally, I believe you either have the cognitive ability to learn and be successful at a certain level of volume or you don't. If I was starting now and with the new ERR process, if there wasn't a facility I was crazy about and would enjoy living/spending time, I'd definitely go to the highest staffed tower only, certify in under 6 months and start bidding out.

Last edited:
Yes, lex is taking academy grads... I believe there are 4 slots on the newest PPT or terminal placement thing, but I dont know how or when the academy throws those out to graduating terminal folks. It is my second facility, but my first radar and I think it is a very good place to learn essential skills needed in a terminal radar environment. Not a bad place to live either.

If your goal is to work at a 12 tower, with the new ERR system in place, your fastest way to certify and start bidding out is through the highest staffed tower only offered after the academy. If you go to a small level up/down out of the academy, depending on where you end up, it's a long training process and by the time your facility becomes eligible, you're competing with more people for potentially 1 release spot.

For me personally, I believe you either have the cognitive ability to learn and be successful at a certain level of volume or you don't. If I was starting now and with the new ERR process, if there wasn't a facility I was crazy about and would enjoy living/spending time, I'd definitely go to the highest staffed tower only, certify in under 6 months and start bidding out.

Yeah I hear the ERR process is a sore spot for some folks. I wouldn't mind taking a tower only facility as long as it is in a good location like PDK, MDW, DAL, HOU etc., I wouldn't want a place like CSG. LOL!

Yes, lex is taking academy grads... I believe there are 4 slots on the newest PPT or terminal placement thing, but I dont know how or when the academy throws those out to graduating terminal folks. It is my second facility, but my first radar and I think it is a very good place to learn essential skills needed in a terminal radar environment. Not a bad place to live either.

Good to hear! I'll keep an eye out. My class finishes at the end of July so hopefully there'll be some slots available.

Yeah I hear the ERR process is a sore spot for some folks. I wouldn't mind taking a tower only facility as long as it is in a good location like PDK, MDW, DAL, HOU etc., I wouldn't want a place like CSG. LOL!

Trust me, you will NOT get DAL, HOU, or MDW. Those facilities haven't been given to AAC grads in years. PDK if you are very lucky. I have seen CSG a few times... lol

I would definitely recommend the highest staffed tower only location. Dont count CSG out of the picture, it would probably be easier for you to check andd ERR from there than alot of other places.

Who knows how long this bad mou will be around...may want to choose a place youd like to be stuck at for 5 plus years.

If I'm correct you don't get to pick

Not to speak for the OP, but I believe that he's asking what type of facility should he go after should he be given a variety of choices as the top person of the class might experience. I think it's a hypothetical to be more educated and gain viewpoints from controllers who know the system.

Not to speak for the OP, but I believe that he's asking what type of facility should he go after should he be given a variety of choices as the top person of the class might experience. I think it's a hypothetical to be more educated and gain viewpoints from controllers who know the system.

This.

I would rather ask now as opposed to the week I get my list and asking then when I should be studying and getting ready for evals.

Anyone care to give me a ballpark figure of how much more you'll make per year at a 24 hour facility compared to one that closes between 9-12 each night?

Back
Top Bottom