Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Does this place suck? Whole lot of no details here....
Everything I heard is that it historically has a horrible training success rate, critical understaffing, hard as balls traffic for a level 8 and lots of moody controllers. The new New England RVP ran partly on vowing to fix the place, that was a year ago so maybe it’s a little better now.

Funny you ask. There is a youtube video about Y90, that involved nasty campaign mudslinging. I have heard firsthand from many that it is a brutal facility for trainees. I would not say that lightly.

"Delegation without follow through is just abdication!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the academy with a guy who went there as his 2nd facility. He is currently at his 1st facility lol. The place chewed him up and spit him out. Called it a baby N90

A new trainee at Y90 here--arrived on Sept '18. Currently there are 11 CPC's and 14 trainees. Manning is short so training is really the priority to get the numbers up. I was told from the guys who've been here the longest that they just had a bad streak. Back in 2015-2016 they had a bunch of people retire and 4-5 CPCs transferred out cutting their manning in half. Then the string of trainees that were suppose to replace them weren't so great and just couldn't make the cut. Not sure if this was due to the training program back then or just the quality of new hires.

However, all the new hires here now are previous experience military controllers (dunno if that is simply a coincidence or part of the change) and the training program has been revamped. The guys ahead of me in training are mostly Partially Qualified (cert'd on a few scopes) working on their last scope to become facility certified. So the stigma that people can't get rated here is undoubtedly false but you will work for it.

As far as the culture, I don't think it is any different from any Air Force RAPCONs I've been too. If you're a trainee who shows up motivated and willing to learn, you'll have trainers who take a vested interest in getting you rated. They are short staffed and have been working 6 days a week with some days being 10 hour days. This has been the case for almost 3 years now. They want people to CPC so they can get their weekends back. Some of the CPC's here want to transfer out and that can only happen if people get trained up.

Being a trainee though isn't a hard life here. You still have 2 days off and management is okay w/ you putting spot leave. You may have to wait a few weeks/months to start training when you get here due to the training backlog but getting paid D2 salary while you wait isn't too bad. Even though there are a lot of us in training, management and the sups put forth the best effort to ensure people get at least 2 sessions in per day-- manning permitting.

Just thought i'd give my 2 cents. But take it w/ a grain of salt since I'm only rated on Data and working on my first Radar Scope.

Edit: grammar/spelling

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how accurate the passing rate numbers are for some facilities.

Last time I visited D10, I talked to one of the controllers that's been certified there for a while and he said the last wave of 40 trainees they had were all fully certified except for one and that person didn't get qualified due to special circumstances; possibly some medical or personal issues or something like that.

That's a 98% success rate compared to the 64% it's supposed to have. Maybe that was just one wave of really good controllers, but I'm personally not too concerned about it. Find the person that likes teaching and ask every single question you can think of. Open a book in your spare time.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how accurate the passing rate numbers are for some facilities.

Last time I visited D10, I talked to one of the controllers that's been certified there for a while and he said the last wave of 40 trainees they had were all fully certified except for one and that person didn't get qualified due to special circumstances; possibly some medical or personal issues or something like that.

That's a 98% success rate compared to the 64% it's supposed to have. Maybe that was just one wave of really good controllers, but I'm personally not too concerned about it. Find the person that likes teaching and ask every single question you can think of. Open a book in your spare time.

98% is not true. We've lost at least 15 since I got here in 2015, but 64% does seem low.

Back
Top Bottom