Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

Local Area​

External Links​

Thinking about dropping paperwork in for ZID. Just wanted to get some information on the training program. Also, how’s the environment in the facility? (NATCA, Management, and Controller relations)

Would anyone care to do an in depth write up on ZID? Like how’s the air traffic? What the areas are like? How the overall facility is? Greatly appreciated

Would anyone care to do an in depth write up on ZID? Like how’s the air traffic? What the areas are like? How the overall facility is? Greatly appreciated
I would search for the facility orientation guide

This isn't much, but every person I have met who transferred out of ZID is cool as shit except for one guy, hella racist. He learned to chill and now is a cool dude, just needed to escape the midwest mentally and meet people who thought differently than him or looked different than him. So, from my take most people are chill within reason.

Anyone have any info on this facility? Training culture, training time, good areas to live etc. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

The FAA search doesn't seem to be working. I read through the welcome packet, but as is the problem with many of them there are no dates so I have no idea if the info is still relevant. Can someone there confirm the manager? Also, like so many have asked before, what is the environment like. It seems to be decent as of a few years ago, but how is it now? Thanks for any information either here or via a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FAA search doesn't seem to be working. I read through the welcome packet, but as is the problem with many of them there are no dates so I have no idea if the info is still relevant. Can someone there confirm the manager? Also, like so many have asked before, what is the environment like. It seems to be decent as of a few years ago, but how is it now? Thanks for any information either here or via a PM.
Have worked at ZID for 10 years. It is probably one of the best facilities in terms of management/union relations I have seen. Indy is still one of the more affordable midwest cities and lvl 12 pay so you will be very comfortable here. Like anywhere there are some incompetent supervisors and some controllers that are a pain in the arse to work with. Our current NATCA president is great and has put together a real quality team. We have cycled thru about 5 ATM's in the last 5 years. It seems to be a stepping stone in their career. We have 7 areas each with their own pluses /negatives. Any other questions let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the current info and your thoughts on the facility. They will probably edit your post due to listing the managers name (they edited my initial post), but I came up with the same name and have already reached out to him. I might contact you for more info via PM. Thanks again.

Have worked at ZID for 10 years. It is probably one of the best facilities in terms of management/union relations I have seen. Indy is still one of the more affordable midwest cities and lvl 12 pay so you will be very comfortable here. Like anywhere there are some incompetent supervisors and some controllers that are a pain in the arse to work with. Our current NATCA president is great and has put together a real quality team. We have cycled thru about 5 ATM's in the last 5 years. It seems to be a stepping stone in their career. We have 7 areas each with their own pluses /negatives. Any other questions let me know.
Thanks for the info! Do you know if there's any huge training holds there beyond the average COVID shenanigans?

Hi everyone, I am new to ZID and am having a little trouble finding a decent apartment. I was wondering if anyone knew of a nice apartment at a reasonable price with availability. Or if you know anyone that is renting.

Thank you.

Hi everyone, I am new to ZID and am having a little trouble finding a decent apartment. I was wondering if anyone knew of a nice apartment at a reasonable price with availability. Or if you know anyone that is renting.

Thank you.
I’m not at ZID, but from Indiana originally.

Where have you been looking? Brownsburg, Avon, or Greenwood should have plenty of affordable places for rent

Thank you.
Got a buddy in a downtown apt-called Lockerbie Court. He said it’s really really bad. He’s looking kinda west and north side. He’s enroute also

ZID Write-up

Where to live: Rent everywhere has gotten outrageous. Perhaps wasn’t the smartest move, but I bought a home when I reported to the facility. I think most I know renting are paying considerably more than my mortgage, albeit I bought before the market went insane. On AG pay, Danville, Plainfield, Avon, and Brownsburg are probably your best bets. Perhaps Greenwood as well, but I’m not as familiar with the south side. Out of the group I listed Avon is the most built up, but traffic is hell. The advice I generally hear given is to rent/buy outside of the 465 circle. Some nice areas downtown if that’s your thing, though.

Center Breakdown:

7 areas. 1, 2, 3 left to right across the bottom. 4,5,6 across the top. Seven sandwiched in the middle.

Area 1- I think they primarily deal with Louisville arrivals and departures. Night and mid obviously busier than your normal center

Area 2- Highs have the airway that feeds the east coast stuff. Pretty complicated lows. Work to the ground for many airports. CVG, BNA arrivals.

Area 3- Only area with no lows. Pretty high volume. Mainly spacing for Washington for DC and NY area stuff. Also have an Atlanta and CLT stream.

Area 4- Primarily working Indy airspace and fine tuning ORD spacing. Same as 1, box hauler arrival and departure push on the mid and early morning

Area 5- Not really sure haha. They have a Chicago stream and I think they do spacing for Cleveland for DC and NY area arrivals

Area 6- Probably second most complex lows. Work CMH, DTW, CLE, and PIT arrivals mainly.

Area 7- Primarily accomplishes ORD spacing. Maybe some DFW spacing. They also get stuff started for Washington.

Training Culture:

I want to say we were told that ZID leads the nation in training hours each week. There was a huge backlog of trainees upstairs due to the Covid pause, but I think all of those are now on the floor getting D-Side certs, if not already done and on their radars. The training manager is fantastic. Lab instructors are for the most pretty good. I think they try to let everyone get their shot on the floor, as it should be. Really good OJTIs on the floor, but you can tell they’re wearing down after continuously having a trainee the past 2-3 years. As long as you put forth the effort, the area is going to do everything they can to make sure you are successful. Bad attitude, not knowing LOAs once you come down, taking excessive leave, etc is not going to win anyone over. I can only think of a couple training failures or withdrawals due to performance since I’ve been here.

Staffing is rough, but improving. Six day work weeks are the norm for most areas, especially in the summer. Some areas have frequent holdover or call in OT, as well. The pro to this is since you are a 12, the extra money is pretty awesome. There seems to be a lot of OS and OM turnover. Lately all of the applicants seem to be people from lower level towers. It will be interesting to see how that works out this summer when we are getting crushed. Also going to be kind of weird having people with very limited en-route experience certifying new controllers. Same goes for TMU bids. A lot of the new hires are from towers with no center background.

All in all, a great facility to work at and an okay, but comparatively cheap place to live. I’ll add some more stuff as I think of it and also willing to answer any specific questions.

Back
Top Bottom