Serious Fatigue Memo 5/3/2024

Working the mid is what kills you. The rattler just has the added joy of ensuring you don't get enough sleep before the mid, even if you try.

Yep. Plenty of studies have shown working overnight is terrible for you and will likely kill you. No one wants to get their panties in a bunch about that, but god forbid they get an hour less of sleep on the quick turn.

I saw some ideas about that, any shift that would start before midnight as first day back wouldn’t that prevent any OT on the one full day off? Can’t work more than 6 days.
They just assign it based on the list. They don’t care whose name is on it that day.

I saw some ideas about that, any shift that would start before midnight as first day back wouldn’t that prevent any OT on the one full day off? Can’t work more than 6 days.
I think it's a 30 hour requirement per week. I.E, if your first day back is Monday, and it's a mid, that starts Sunday night at 10. Doesn't count as working Sunday though. You have to have 30 hours consecutive off in a week, so you you wouldn't be able to work past 4 P.M on Saturday.

So a hypothetical schedule: Arrive Sunday at 10 P.M, off at 6 Monday. Return 4 to midnight Tuesday, 2 to 10 Wednesday, 10-6 Thursday, 6-2 Friday, and 8-4 Saturday.
Game. Fucking. Over.

I think it's a 30 hour requirement per week. I.E, if your first day back is Monday, and it's a mid, that starts Sunday night at 10. Doesn't count as working Sunday though. You have to have 30 hours consecutive off in a week, so you you wouldn't be able to work past 4 P.M on Saturday.

So a hypothetical schedule: Arrive Sunday at 10 P.M, off at 6 Monday. Return 4 to midnight Tuesday, 2 to 10 Wednesday, 10-6 Thursday, 6-2 Friday, and 8-4 Saturday.
Game. Fucking. Over.
That schedule can suck a giant bag of old wrinkly dicks

Game. Fucking. Over.
I'm honestly not sure how the 30 hour thing works because I don't think we ever followed it, but you would have over 30 hours off between the mid and Tuesday in that schedule.

Although in the clockwise reverse rattler, you would go mid-day-day-eve-eve.

Only 700 people are eligible to retire, but within 5 years it will be 3,000 with about 500 more becoming eligible each year after that. That is when the system will finally collapse if things are not completely different by then.
I think it depends on where and how many of those eligible controllers retire. If 400+ of the 700 dip and most are Core 30, then that Jenga tower will start to topple next year when there will be staffing triggers left and right 6 months into the new schedule when even the OT scavengers get overworked and stop answering their phones. And if CRWG blocks NCEPT transfers then those Core 30 won't even be able to refresh their staffing numbers with the Level 4-6 jumpers.
Its Time Watch GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I think it depends on where and how many of those eligible controllers retire. If 400+ of the 700 dip and most are Core 30, then that Jenga tower will start to topple next year when there will be staffing triggers left and right 6 months into the new schedule when even the OT scavengers get overworked and stop answering their phones. And if CRWG blocks NCEPT transfers then those Core 30 won't even be able to refresh their staffing numbers with the Level 4-6 jumpers.
Its Time Watch GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
The 4-6 towers are going to be the only ones able to release. It’s the mid level facilities nobody is going to ERR too that will suffer. Like it already is.

Back
Top Bottom