Terminal 01/13/22 Terminal Basics

I'm in the class as well. Has anyone figured out where they're staying yet? Driving/flying? Doing anything to prepare ahead of time?

Good luck on your Air Traffic journey everybody. You all actually happen to start on my birthday ? and I think you all are the first class to start since mine graduated.

FWIW, I strongly suggest driving. Not only will you have your car, but (if you pass) you will almost certainly get more travel days to your facility. One of my classmates kind of got screwed on travel days by flying to OKC. Once you’re done, you don’t get extra days to fly back home if you need to and you get screwed with the flying travel days vs POV.

Good luck on your Air Traffic journey everybody. You all actually happen to start on my birthday ? and I think you all are the first class to start since mine graduated.

FWIW, I strongly suggest driving. Not only will you have your car, but (if you pass) you will almost certainly get more travel days to your facility. One of my classmates kind of got screwed on travel days by flying to OKC. Once you’re done, you don’t get extra days to fly back home if you need to and you get screwed with the flying travel days vs POV.
Thanks for the advice! I was already pretty certain I'd be driving (from California), so you solidified that decision. Do you have other tips or recommendations regarding ANYTHING (studying, Academy, lifestyle things, etc.) while being out there? Oh and happy early birthday!

Thanks for the advice! I was already pretty certain I'd be driving (from California), so you solidified that decision. Do you have other tips or recommendations regarding ANYTHING (studying, Academy, lifestyle things, etc.) while being out there? Oh and happy early birthday!
Haha thanks! The only thing worth learning before starting is the phonetic alphabet. I don’t really suggest looking into anything else just yet. For basics and academics, a lot of the material is dry but there is plenty of opportunity to learn it, ask questions and study, plus some stuff doesn’t make sense without a little explanation.

The only real recommendations I have are to make sure you study and ask questions. It would be stupid to lose out on this career because you didn’t try to learn the material. The only time I really think it’s important to get together with your classmates to study is to do some practice scenarios after you start Tabletops at the Academy. Otherwise, have some fun and hang out on the weekends. The Academy is not nearly as stressful as they will try to convince you it is. It gets a little stressful when you get to the simulators and start getting your ass kicked, and the PAs are definitely the most stressful period, but that’s to be expected. Just don’t let it get to you. You will learn everything you need, and you can only do what you can do.

Other than that, the most important thing I can tell you is never give up. If you have a bad run or get a bad score on something, just brush it off and keep going. There will be times that you might feel like there’s no way you can do this. The program is designed to feel overwhelming at times and to see if you give up. Just keep going until you either pass or fail.

Haha thanks! The only thing worth learning before starting is the phonetic alphabet. I don’t really suggest looking into anything else just yet. For basics and academics, a lot of the material is dry but there is plenty of opportunity to learn it, ask questions and study, plus some stuff doesn’t make sense without a little explanation.

The only real recommendations I have are to make sure you study and ask questions. It would be stupid to lose out on this career because you didn’t try to learn the material. The only time I really think it’s important to get together with your classmates to study is to do some practice scenarios after you start Tabletops at the Academy. Otherwise, have some fun and hang out on the weekends. The Academy is not nearly as stressful as they will try to convince you it is. It gets a little stressful when you get to the simulators and start getting your ass kicked, and the PAs are definitely the most stressful period, but that’s to be expected. Just don’t let it get to you. You will learn everything you need, and you can only do what you can do.

Other than that, the most important thing I can tell you is never give up. If you have a bad run or get a bad score on something, just brush it off and keep going. There will be times that you might feel like there’s no way you can do this. The program is designed to feel overwhelming at times and to see if you give up. Just keep going until you either pass or fail.
Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response! I'll keep all of that in mind. ?

Sarah at FAA crashpads was really nice! It seemed like they had availability when I reached out, but I was told they can’t confirm any reservations until a maximum of 1 month in advance.
I just got an email from her. I Want to get this nailed down and its not worth losing a spot at kims to me.

Im confirmed for faa crashpads. Not sure why she wasnt able to confirm yours. Maybe a misunderstanding or your dates were funny?

also im driving. Im happy to drive the crashpads crew up to kims or whatever to study. Plan on arriving the 14th or 15th.

also im driving. Im happy to drive the crashpads crew up to kims or whatever to study. Plan on arriving the 14th or 15th.
Cool! I'm for sure staying at Kim's. I'm actually going out there ahead of basics since I don't have a good work environment where I'm at now. I'll be all set up by the time y'all get there. ?

Back
Top Bottom