Academy Instructor Job

steakvendor

Noticed there’s a bid on USAjobs for academy instructors. The bid mentions return rights.. does this mean you have to return your current facility? Or are you allowed to transfer to other facilities? Would that be through NCEPT?

Last edited:
Return rights to region after 3 years - they will hold a theoretical spot for you in the region but it’s incumbent on you to find a vacant position, whether that’s as an atc, a staff job at a facility, etc. Would not be through NCEPT but may not be able to go to a fully staffed facility. Also if you’re trying to go to a high-level or competitive facility you may not be able to beat the ncept people on the list based on the way the facility selects. And like anything else its who you know, so if you network correctly you probably could do whatever you wanted.

Return rights to region after 3 years - they will hold a theoretical spot for you in the region but it’s incumbent on you to find a vacant position, whether that’s as an atc, a staff job at a facility, etc. Would not be through NCEPT but may not be able to go to a fully staffed facility. Also if you’re trying to go to a high-level or competitive facility you may not be able to beat the ncept people on the list based on the way the facility selects. And like anything else its who you know, so if you network correctly you probably could do whatever you wanted.
Are you saying the only way to get a controller job again is to apply through NCEPT unless it’s a priority bid like N90/C90?

Noticed there’s a bid on USAjobs for academy instructors. The bid mentions return rights.. does this mean you have to return your current facility? Or are you allowed to transfer to other facilities? Would that be through NCEPT?
Do they have the minimum 3 divorce requirement and 4 OnlyFans girlfriends listed like in the past?

Are you saying the only way to get a controller job again is to apply through NCEPT unless it’s a priority bid like N90/C90?
No, and full disclosure I don’t know ALL the ins and outs of going back as an atc, but I’m saying if you’re trying to go to a competitive or high-level facility, natca and/or management may select from ncept first because they’re gargling the NEB’s and NCEPT’s balls…. and then after that say they’re full so you can’t get there.

The process to go back is largely through networking and HR. If there’s a facility with a slot, your 3 yrs are up, and you network with the atm and have your ducks in a row with HR (yes it takes some legwork, the faa doesn’t just give you a list of vacancies) then you can get anywhere really. I think ncept has more to do with staffing #’s and releases.. which then turns into selections, but these okc instructor jobs aren’t in the ATO and ncept applies specifically to the ATO.

There is a little gray area since most ATM’s will try to hold you to the ncept policy and you might have to do some work fighting to get released. Leaving to another position per HR is typically 2 pay periods or something reasonable that you negotiate but If your manager tells the hiring manager it’s a 1-2 year release date and the receiving manager agrees to that then you’re going to really have to fight to get them to honor the HR policy (or something less than 1-2 yrs.) Someone out there had to get their congressman involved to honor this.

You don’t necessarily have to go back to your region if you can find another job elsewhere, you’re just guaranteed something in your region. If you don’t put the work to find something you want then you prob won’t like where you end up. And whether atc or non-atc position there doesn’t necessarily have to be a bid out for it there just has to be an ‘empty chair’ so to speak. Also people who want to stay in that okc position can usually get the three years extended 1-2 or possibly made permanent, or switch to some other okc faa job. These bids say instructor but it’s evaluator duties fyi. Might teach one class/year.

I forgot to add that if all you do is just put an ERR in to hr for a facility you wanna go to then yes it will just get put into the ncept program and it will be under that you’ll have to get selected. Since you are not already had a facility you have more leeway in the networking to get there without having to go through ncept. However you’re going to have to do some work because most managers are probably just gonna say I don’t know you have to go through ncept and they’re not going to know or care to try to help you in any other way they’re just gonna say that’s the way it is that you have to do it. I mean no matter what to move I think you’ll have to fill out ERR paperwork but you don’t have to worry about getting released or not, just getting picked up, and you can probably go around ncept a little, like not having to wait for their panels necessarily but you’re gonna have to do work to largely sidestep that process. Or even if you do get paint the inside you’ll have already done the work and have HR kind of helping. It’s hard to give you a black and white concrete scenario sorry

How does pay work with return rights? I'm hearing (from unofficial sources) that after your tour of duty is up if you return to a BUE position that you get all the june raises as if you never left, do you know if this is true?

I've asked at couple of official sources and they dont know and I cant find it written anywhere.

No, and full disclosure I don’t know ALL the ins and outs of going back as an atc, but I’m saying if you’re trying to go to a competitive or high-level facility, natca and/or management may select from ncept first because they’re gargling the NEB’s and NCEPT’s balls…. and then after that say they’re full so you can’t get there.

The process to go back is largely through networking and HR. If there’s a facility with a slot, your 3 yrs are up, and you network with the atm and have your ducks in a row with HR (yes it takes some legwork, the faa doesn’t just give you a list of vacancies) then you can get anywhere really. I think ncept has more to do with staffing #’s and releases.. which then turns into selections, but these okc instructor jobs aren’t in the ATO and ncept applies specifically to the ATO.

There is a little gray area since most ATM’s will try to hold you to the ncept policy and you might have to do some work fighting to get released. Leaving to another position per HR is typically 2 pay periods or something reasonable that you negotiate but If your manager tells the hiring manager it’s a 1-2 year release date and the receiving manager agrees to that then you’re going to really have to fight to get them to honor the HR policy (or something less than 1-2 yrs.) Someone out there had to get their congressman involved to honor this.

You don’t necessarily have to go back to your region if you can find another job elsewhere, you’re just guaranteed something in your region. If you don’t put the work to find something you want then you prob won’t like where you end up. And whether atc or non-atc position there doesn’t necessarily have to be a bid out for it there just has to be an ‘empty chair’ so to speak. Also people who want to stay in that okc position can usually get the three years extended 1-2 or possibly made permanent, or switch to some other okc faa job. These bids say instructor but it’s evaluator duties fyi. Might teach one class/year.
I heard you don’t have to stay the entire three years before leaving, is that correct? Apparently you can stay a year, bid to somewhere you wanna go, and also keep the move money?

Back
Top Bottom