Are you required to attend basics?

If optional: Attend or Skip

• Total voters

Huntin_GI

I ♥ pointSixtyFive
Just wondering if everyone HAS to attend basics? I am an old pick up under the prior Exp bid of 2013. I'm slated for Enroute and was unsure if I would still attend basics. If it is opitional, do y'all recommend it? I'm a tower-only controller at this point. I have 10 years in the career field but have been overseas for the past 4.

If you were hired under prev exp bid you don’t have to. Personal opinion, especially going enroute, go.

Edit: to add a little more. It gives a good foundation of knowledge that you may not use on a daily basis but will definitely help the understanding of other stuff that you do need to know later on. It’s free training. And if you’re coming from the military, I promise you don’t know as much as you think you do. I have a standing invitation for the AF people I work with that I’ll buy lunch if they can score above a 50% on the end of course quiz in the basics study guide. Haven’t paid yet.

Last edited:
I was a firm attend basics guy. But at the end of the line here it doesn’t really make a difference. 4 months is a long time to carry this stress. If you are personable and know aviation it really doesn’t make much of a difference. You are not expected to know anything taught basics in the initial course.

I'm in academy now, instrument rated pilot. Basics is more than just basic aviation. There is a lot of preparation for across the street. I knew most of the acedemics, but really sharpened my study habits. I highly suggest it. Plus is pretty fun with the right instructor

From 2013 I'm guessing you're coming in on a VRA bid, NOT a prior experience bid. You will not attend basics if that is the case.

From 2013 I'm guessing you're coming in on a VRA bid, NOT a prior experience bid. You will not attend basics if that is the case.

I cant recall if it was the VRA announcement or the CTO announcement but VRA feels right. I know it required my CTO card as part of the application.

Does that mean basics isn't even an option if it was the VRA bid?

I cant recall if it was the VRA announcement or the CTO announcement but VRA feels right. I know it required my CTO card as part of the application.

Does that mean basics isn't even an option if it was the VRA bid?

Hard to say since the hiring format has changed so much since 2013. What facility do you have a TOL for? I went to the Academy in 2014 on a VRA bid when they were just starting the OTS stuff and I did not go to basics. It wasn't even offered to me.

Hard to say since the hiring format has changed so much since 2013. What facility do you have a TOL for? I went to the Academy in 2014 on a VRA bid when they were just starting the OTS stuff and I did not go to basics. It wasn't even offered to me.

ZDV

Update: Just found out that I WILL NOT be attending the basics course as it was not an option. Joining the Initial En-route Class starting on 8 Nov.

Back
Top Bottom