ASE Question

ATC0997

Serious question. Just curious how anyone managed to live on that salary in the Aspen area? Do you have to commute three hours to work each day?

Y’all go in halfsies on land and a trailer? Deadass. Or just rent something? Ironically there’s a double wide for sale in El Jebel. Lot doesn’t convey and the land lease is $800/mo ?
It was sometime ago and I just rented a room from the other cpc. If I remember correctly he didn't own the lot just the trailer. We were up the hill behind the el jebowl. It would have been back in 2010.

It was sometime ago and I just rented a room from the other cpc. If I remember correctly he didn't own the lot just the trailer. We were up the hill behind the el jebowl. It would have been back in 2010.
Does the FAA offer a crash pad there? Feel like ASE and Nantucket should have some sort of option. Doesn’t seem like level 5 and 6 pay even with differential is peanuts for the markets there. Anyone work a second job while you were there?

Does the FAA offer a crash pad there? Feel like ASE and Nantucket should have some sort of option. Doesn’t seem like level 5 and 6 pay even with differential is peanuts for the markets there. Anyone work a second job while you were there?
No crash pad. No one that I knew worked a second job. All the younger people found cheap living solutions whether it was living far away off I70 or renting a room from someone. Most of us that were younger at the time would buy a monthly bus pass that would be reimbursed by the faa (red book days). The bus pass was handy for getting back and forth to work but also a good DD to go drinking up in Glenwood springs.

It's not the most ideal situation but it is doable or was back then. I couldn't imagine raising a family there. I got out quick and appreciate whoever pulled the strings to make it happen.

45-1 hour commute and you can find rentals just fine. Some bought condos in Glenwood springs some got houses around there or as far away as Rifle. It's not the best situation for starting out sure, but it's not a bad facility at all. They are level 6 now, and it seems that everyone is more or less unaware that they get >10% CIP, but also another 10% that goes off of Base+locality pay. It all adds up to help out a bit. They also close at 8pm... can't beat that.

My facility has a prior Aspen controller and she said it was wild expensive. Loved the area though. But she's also a South Dakota native. Love that woman.

No crash pad. No one that I knew worked a second job. All the younger people found cheap living solutions whether it was living far away off I70 or renting a room from someone. Most of us that were younger at the time would buy a monthly bus pass that would be reimbursed by the faa (red book days). The bus pass was handy for getting back and forth to work but also a good DD to go drinking up in Glenwood springs.

It's not the most ideal situation but it is doable or was back then. I couldn't imagine raising a family there. I got out quick and appreciate whoever pulled the strings to make it happen.
I can imagine being a young, single, first facility person there it could be fun as hell. Key West was insanely expensive but we made the most of it and had some damn good memories coming out of there. But to have the mountains surrounding you with shit to do year round, I can see the upside of maybe nobody talks about.

Before I became a federal employee, I had a modest career goal of becoming a traveling bartender and working on the east coast in the summertime and working at the ski resorts in the winter time; I was about a week away from moving to Aspen before I got the call from the initial federal agency that hired me. Pitkin County offers multiple affordable housing options from rentals to home ownership through a lottery system, the city of Aspen also has affordable housing options, and lastly, Aspen Ski Company has employee housing. There were also many opportunities on Craigslist to rent rooms in people’s homes all up and down the roaring fork valley. If moving with a spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend, have them get a job for the ski company and utilize their employee housing.

I can imagine being a young, single, first facility person there it could be fun as hell. Key West was insanely expensive but we made the most of it and had some damn good memories coming out of there. But to have the mountains surrounding you with shit to do year round, I can see the upside of maybe nobody talks about.
A good majority of those people are very outdoorsy including myself. The only difference is those people lived and breathe winter sports. No one would take SL during the spring, summer and fall. They saved it all up in case they got broke in a skiing or snowboarding accident. Definitely fun times. And some of the best trout fishing I've ever done.

A good majority of those people are very outdoorsy including myself. The only difference is those people lived and breathe winter sports. No one would take SL during the spring, summer and fall. They saved it all up in case they got broke in a skiing or snowboarding accident. Definitely fun times. And some of the best trout fishing I've ever done.
Makes sense on the SL. I’m a big off-roading/overlanding guy. Jeep, 4wheeler, dirt bikes, side by sides, all that. I practically lived on the Snake River when I was out in Idaho. We were on 4/10s so I’d get off on Friday evening around 4, already have my Jeep loaded and would have camp set up within an hour of clocking out. Wouldn’t be back until Tuesday morning. I didn’t stay long enough to get into winter sports but I do know that’s the bread and butter for that area.

I feel like despite making on the lower end of the pay scale, facility morale couldn’t be that bad with the abundant extracurriculars. But I guess that mindset comes from a military background where everyone hung out with everyone outside of work.

Back
Top Bottom