ATC presentation

DankVectorz

Legendary Member
FAA
Facility
N90 New York Tracon
So I got asked to speak about ATC at a local CAP event by a member of my flying club and I agreed. I had thought I was going to be speaking to the CAP members and current pilots about local procedures etc but it turns out it’s Aviation Day and I’ll be speaking to a group of 12-16 year olds who might join CAP. I have 0 idea what to say now. And to top it off I’ll be following some Blackhawk pilots. Any ideas on how to make it interesting and not technical? I have a 30 minute time slot to fill. I’ve already decided that mentioning what I think about CAP pilots is not a good topic of discussion.

If they’re thinking about joining CAP, chances are they’re interested in aviation already, so nerd it up a little. A side by side of a VFR sectional versus the video map, stats for EWR, how weather is shown on our scopes (I have some pics of that if you want them), how withholding information from us can lead to not great things (like VMC to IMC). Shit like that. I’ve done my kids career days over the years. One of the things they got a kick out of was taking a departure strip, looking at the route, and then finding it on a high altitude chart.

A lot of NATCA locals have presentations already prefabricated with videos and what not. Might be worth checking there.

Don’t forget to play the anthem!
Play the anthem? Put the lyrics on the board and make the kids sing the anthem! Tell them that controllers love hearing them recite it on call up, and it will improve the services you get if you do!

Play the anthem? Put the lyrics on the board and make the kids sing the anthem! Tell them that controllers love hearing them recite it on call up, and it will improve the services you get if you do!
10 years from now one of us is going to be working at some contract tower in the middle of nowhere trying to relax after retiring from the FAA and some kid is going to call up “we’re 40 something thousand strong...” and this will be the view of the tower:

10 years from now one of us is going to be working at some contract tower in the middle of nowhere trying to relax after retiring from the FAA and some kid is going to call up “we’re 40 something thousand strong...” and this will be the view of the tower:

Now that was an ATM. You can see the shit eating grin on his face as he covers for Tech Ops...

That is epic

Just go in there and ask how many of them get physically abused at home, tell them basically it's like that, then launch into a tirade about how the DARE officer has it all wrong, alcohol is a great coping mechanism, and no one is going to offer you free drugs, you are gonna have to go out and find that shit the hard way.

Should give them a good grasp of the lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom