Basics at NCED in Norman

How is this relevant? "Well it used ot be worse do be thankful. "

I get that it’s a crap situation that got shoved in your face. But show a little appreciation for what you’re getting. It could be worse and while it doesn’t have to be, it doesn’t mean you get to sit here and get pissy with others trying to give a perspective. Most don’t pay for anything in this process other than time off while getting their clearances and even time spent at the academy is pretty cushy.

Yeah, the agency is using this class as a test subject and it sucks. But your travel is paid, your housing(before and after this hotel) is paid, food is paid, and you’re guaranteed a job; assuming you can accumulate 70 points.

All he was saying was that it could be a lot worse.

Unless of course you’re owed something that we didn’t realize.

I get that it’s a crap situation that got shoved in your face. But show a little appreciation for what you’re getting. It could be worse and while it doesn’t have to be, it doesn’t mean you get to sit here and get pissy with others trying to give a perspective. Most don’t pay for anything in this process other than time off while getting their clearances and even time spent at the academy is pretty cushy.

Yeah, the agency is using this class as a test subject and it sucks. But your travel is paid, your housing(before and after this hotel) is paid, food is paid, and you’re guaranteed a job; assuming you can accumulate 70 points.

Of course it "could be a lot worse" but when is that a useful observation? I'm just putting myself in their shoes. FAA basically doesn't give any shits about non-BUE employees. Or should I say even less of a shit?

I went just 2 years ago. We banked like 60 dollars a day and could eat whatever we want. I booked Kim’s on a travel credit card and got like 30k miles while I was there. This dude is getting hosed!

We all are. No longer being able to pocket per diem sucks. The next best thing now is booking a hotel with a hotel credit card. At least earn some free nights with a Mariott, Hilton or Hyatt hotel brand.

Of course it "could be a lot worse" but when is that a useful observation? I'm just putting myself in their shoes. FAA basically doesn't give any shits about non-BUE employees. Or should I say even less of a shit?

Valid point, in the FAA’s eyes there about 20k more people willing to go stay in a hotel, so of course they don’t care. But that doesn’t invalidate GPB’s comment. It’s a crap situation, no two ways about it. Two weeks out and they get told to go stay in a hotel and completely change everything they were expecting? It’s really “unfair” and quite absurd. I feel for them, I really do. But it doesn’t make it wrong to attempt to have a positive attitude about it and encourage those who are having to deal with it.

I went just 2 years ago. We banked like 60 dollars a day and could eat whatever we want. I booked Kim’s on a travel credit card and got like 30k miles while I was there. This dude is getting hosed!

Yeah, and about 2 weeks before I got to the academy I was no longer able to bank the remainder of the housing per diem. By the standards of those before me I got hosed as well! But, in the same token, these people are getting screwed and without lube. Everybody learns to deal with the problems they are faced with. Compared to when you went, I got screwed and compared to when I went, these people are getting screwed. Once again, doesn’t make GPB’s comment unvalidated.

Last edited:
I know it’s going both ways a bit in this thread but I appreciate everyone’s perspective! I guess all I’m asking for is what I was expecting. The FAAs own standard for housing isn’t being met by the hotel it booked, and taking away the per diem makes the adjustment more challenging. It’ll all B good.

I know it’s going both ways a bit in this thread but I appreciate everyone’s perspective! I guess all I’m asking for is what I was expecting. The FAAs own standard for housing isn’t being met by the hotel it booked, and taking away the per diem makes the adjustment more challenging. It’ll all B good.
What standard aren't they meeting? If they really aren't up to there own standard let someone in HR know, more than likely they will tell you oh well.

What standard aren't they meeting? If they really aren't up to there own standard let someone in HR know, more than likely they will tell you oh well.

I’m glad you posted that Q, because looking up the “housing criteria guidelines” in the student services section, basically having an on-site cafeteria covers everything. So they held up their end. I’d like a mini fridge and a microwave, it’s odd they found a hotel room without either, but it counts.

I’m glad you posted that Q, because looking up the “housing criteria guidelines” in the student services section, basically having an on-site cafeteria covers everything. So they held up their end. I’d like a mini fridge and a microwave, it’s odd they found a hotel room without either, but it counts.
Gotcha it does suck but hey at least they do have something on site. Not sure if you will have a car but I did see they have rentals.

They pay fucking 12 dollars an hour at the academy. People need the per diem to pay for their lives back home.
Exactly. Splitting a household, creating 2 different budgets for food, while still paying rent and utilities on a house back home fucking sucks when you were counting on the extra $1100 in per diem that first month.

Exactly. Splitting a household, creating 2 different budgets for food, while still paying rent and utilities on a house back home fucking sucks when you were counting on the extra $1100 in per diem that first month.
One small positive is that the meal plan is pre-paid vouchers. So I don’t have to give the hotel $1140 and wait a month to get that back. Less initial cost, but less income. I sure did have plans for the money saved on the per diem. Maybe we all should stop bragging about how much we banked lol

They pay fucking 12 dollars an hour at the academy. People need the per diem to pay for their lives back home.
The FAA isn't concerned with students life back home not are they responsible for paying someone enough money so they can pay a mortgage back home. Again it does suck that this change was made this late in the game but there's probably nothing that can be done about it.

The FAA isn't concerned with students life back home not are they responsible for paying someone enough money so they can pay a mortgage back home. Again it does suck that this change was made this late in the game but there's probably nothing that can be done about it.
I didn’t realize we were in here to support faa hr policies. You can just agree that the guy is getting screwed. Will other kids are getting per diem across town.

I didn’t realize we were in here to support faa hr policies. You can just agree that the guy is getting screwed. Will other kids are getting per diem across town.
The class is getting screwed I have said that. But why dwell on it, this will be the first of many times the FAA will screw with them. If you get hung up on each and every thing this is going to be a long career.

I wouldn’t tell classes to plan on it, because in emails I have been told it’s a “test”. I would still maaaybe write your budget without 30 days of a per diem, and plan on family not going because there is no room. Also it threw my apartment booking out, because Anatole didn’t want to have an empty month. They didn’t adjust the date, just a “maybe” until closer I guess.

Back
Top Bottom