Clearances by facility

DL0509

Trusted Contributor
About a year or so ago I saw a facility list of some sort that had what clearance was required for every facility. Does anyone know where I can find this list?I'm really just curious to see what lower level facilities require a secret clearance.

Looking at that post now it does sound sketchy lol. I am a current controller and will prove it if someone has a link or can direct me where to find it.

I believe as a rule, terminal facilities require a public trust.... And enroute require a secret... There may be deviations somewhere but I think that covers a majority of them

All towers and TRACON's public trust clearance. That's the easy basic one and I believe it never expires. But I could be wrong. All centers is a secret clearance. They are long, detailed and a pain to get filled out. Also the secret clearance expires every 10 years and you do it all over again. Hella annoying. I've done it twice.

Andrews tower is secret. I believe there are a few more out there but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Is SF86 secret clearance and SF85 public trust? If so, I was terminal, hired in 2017, and had to fill out the SF86. As far as I know, they are making all terminal and enroute TOL holders do the SF86 now.

From what I've gleaned here and on stuckmic, everyone does SF86/secret now (I'm not a controller, just an applicant). It surprises me that ADW is only a secret—I would think that would be a TS...

It surprises me that ADW is only a secret—I would think that would be a TS...

Eh, I doubt the guys at ADW really see that much sensitive material related to presidential movements. Anyone can pretty much turn on the news and see exactly when and where the president is flying, so it's hardly a big secret. If any facility was to have enhanced security requirements for presidential movement I would think it'd be PCT - they overlie both P-56 and Camp David and obviously handle A1 when arriving into ADW.

Last edited:
Eh, I doubt the guys at ADW really see that much sensitive material related to presidential movements. Anyone can pretty much turn on the news and see exactly when and where the president is flying, so it's hardly a big secret. If any facility was to have enhanced security requirements for presidential movement I would think it'd be PCT - they overlie both P-56 and Camp David and obviously handle A1 when arriving into ADW.
It’s no more information than any other facility gets when there is a ramp freeze due to vip movement. It’s mainly due to other secret missions that happen/are in place.

Clearance renewal is every 5 years now for enroute. I would have been due to have mine renewed next year anyway, but anyone who was 5+ years since their last investigation had another one done last year.

If you go to USAJOBS.COM you will see that every Tower and TRACON job position is public trust clearance and every Center job position is a secret clearance. Maybe it's different for people going through the initial hiring process tho

If you go to USAJOBS.COM you will see that every Tower and TRACON job position is public trust clearance and every Center job position is a secret clearance. Maybe it's different for people going through the initial hiring process tho
ADW is Secret. N90 ((ATM) is Secret.)
There's some outliers, but that's mostly the case for terminal/enroute.

Back
Top Bottom