Is LWOP an option when you lose your medical

HPcrazy2456

Lurker
If a controller looses their medical for e.g. a few months, can they elect to use LWOP during that period, or are they forced to either come in or burn their leave? What about in the case when they're out of leave?

If a controller looses their medical for e.g. a few months, can they elect to use LWOP during that period, or are they forced to either come in or burn their leave? What about in the case when they're out of leave?
Article 4 Section 13 of the CBA states "There shall be no prohibition on the approval of an
employee's LWOP request based solely on the employee having other
types of leave accrued."

So you could take LWOP without using other types of leave. If you're going to be down for that long term though you should probably look into long term disability. You might have just missed the opportunity to get some through NATCA but you might find another place to grant some. It'd at least ensure 50% of your pay.

I've heard (5 or 6 years ago from someone who took extended leave), but can't verify:
If you stay in a "Non-Pay" status for a over certain length of time you need to use an amount of paid leave (annual or sick) every so often, either per pay period or per month, to keep your benefits active and accruing. Otherwise you can lose or have them reduced.

I've heard (5 or 6 years ago from someone who took extended leave), but can't verify:
If you stay in a "Non-Pay" status for a over certain length of time you need to use an amount of paid leave (annual or sick) every so often, either per pay period or per month, to keep your benefits active and accruing. Otherwise you can lose or have them reduced.
Yea same with your retirement time being affected

It’s all on the opm site

There's a certain amount of time before it's considered a leave of absence or some official term that stops good time

I've lost my medical a couple times for more than few months and I've only ever taking LWOP. Also I refused any admin work or being called in for any reason. If they asked me to come in for anything I just respond I'm incapacitated. What that means is Up to you, they're not allowed to ask or talk with the RFS about you're situation. You literally couldn't pay me to go sit in an office for even a hour.
What may happen is if you don't take Leave every so often, you'll stop accruing leave and you may go into an unpaid status. The FAA will cover your medical bills but you're expected to back pay it and your check will be garnished.
As far as retirement you start losing day for day after 6months of LWOP in a calendar year. So if you go out for a year in September, nothing happens.
Around the 1 year mark of losing your medical you may get a letter from the RFS stating. You are approaching the 1 year mark, we will have to medical disqualify unless the RFS can clear you.

Back
Top Bottom