-

National Averages

Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

CD/GC always combined, LC standalone when staffing permits. GC is easy, LC is sometimes challenging when the military comes to play. Most traffic is military training with Texans, Beechjets, C130s, Dorniers doing multiple approaches and pattern work. The F35 guard unit on field flies twice a DAY Tuesday-Friday and one weekend a month. There's a fair bit of C172 patternwork from the flight school on field as well as from Auburn University. The Blackhawk guard unit on field flies often but they stay out of the way. CD/GC takes about a 4-6 weeks, LC takes 4-6 months.

Approach is where you work the most. There are technically 3 scopes, North, South, Final but all 3 are combined 99% of the time. Tons of military/ GA practice approaches and lots of overflights with people going to the beach. Approach takes anywhere from 4-12 months depending on your ability.

Facility is busy during the day on weekdays, dead in the evenings/ nights and slow on the weekends.

The area is decent; not great but not terrible. Not much to do but you're an hour from Birmingham, 2-3 hours from Atlanta, Mobile, and the beaches. Most people live in Prattville, a few live in the eastern side of Montgomery near East Chase. A couple live in Wetumpka, and a couple live in Auburn/ Opelika.

Facility Level History​

Old LevelNew LevelEffective Date
7610/18/2023

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Does anyone have any information on this facility? How is the traffic? Training program tower/radar? what do trainees struggle with the most? Thanks.

I was there from 2012-15 so any info I provide is based on that time frame. I understand a lot has changed as well since then too. It's a good facility to start at. Tower isn't too busy but there are times where the traffic will wake you up. Money is made in the TRACON when the military comes to play. Training program was in need of an overhaul as far as classroom/simulator instruction when I was there and from what I've been told, that is still the case. I think that trainees there are given the necessary tools in OJT to be successful, it ultimately comes down to the trainee putting in the effort.

I’m fairly new to the agency. Can you explain these numbers. They seem well staffed does that mean it would be hard to get picked up?
They have pretty average staffing so it would seem like some place you could get selected to at some point, but the numbers will fluctuate every hiring panel which for now happens every 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom