Post 9/11 while training

AlphaKilo90

FAA
Facility
PIT Pittsburgh Tower
Does anybody have any insight about getting your BAH while training? For example if you transferred from 1 facility to the next does your BAH go back to 100% or does it stay at the 60% or whatever it was before you certified at you last facility?

It depends on how much you used. If you used less than 50% and transferred, you’ll start at 100%.

You can only go back to 100% once I believe, thinking about simple math. The way facilities rate, you’d use 18 months GI Bill between two facilities.

You can only go back to 100% once I believe, thinking about simple math. The way facilities rate, you’d use 18 months GI Bill between two facilities.
So if you had 18 months of benefits left you’d go back to 100%?

I’m in the process of starting to use my benefits again. I have 8 months left right now because I got an associates degree and used some months in training at my first facility. I’m under the impression I’ll be starting back at 100% since it’s a facility/training upgrade. I’ll update this thread with my experience if it will help anyone.

I used it at two facilities. Started at 100% both times. Forgot what the time frame is I think 6 months and it starts to decrease. You get the stipend also I think once a “semester” just say you use the gi bill for a year you should get two stipend payments

You can also save it. You can do the process to activate it and then say it takes a year to train. You can then submit the form once for the 12 months of training and get the 12 months of training in one lump sum which can be a nice little check. I recommend this if you don’t really need the extra cash to get by

I used it at two facilities. Started at 100% both times. Forgot what the time frame is I think 6 months and it starts to decrease. You get the stipend also I think once a “semester” just say you use the gi bill for a year you should get two stipend payments
It’s odd because sometimes I hear people going back to 100 every time the change then I hear other people say theirs stayed ad the lower percentage

It’s odd because sometimes I hear people going back to 100 every time the change then I hear other people say theirs stayed ad the lower percentage
it’s because they went below 50%. I’m literally parroting the VA. Call them and ask for yourself.

It starts where you left off. If you finished at 60% it will start again at 60%. It always was supposed to but they've just recently started really enforcing it.

Unless you go terminal to enroute or vice versa. Then it restarts at 100%

It starts where you left off. If you finished at 60% it will start again at 60%. It always was supposed to but they've just recently started really enforcing it.

Unless you go terminal to enroute or vice versa. Then it restarts at 100%
False. My buddy just went terminal to terminal and he had more than 50% total time of 36 months left and restarted at 100%.

False. My buddy just went terminal to terminal and he had more than 50% total time of 36 months left and restarted at 100%.
When? Because this is recent they are cracking down on it, like I said in my comment. I'm terminal to terminal in training as we speak and they are adamant about it starting where I left off. This issue went all the way up the channels.

How long do you have to use it? I started using it in 2015 and have 80% left. I am about to use it again, has it been too long?

How long do you have to use it? I started using it in 2015 and have 80% left. I am about to use it again, has it been too long?
Thanks to 45, you can use your own GI Bill for a long, long time.

When? Because this is recent they are cracking down on it, like I said in my comment. I'm terminal to terminal in training as we speak and they are adamant about it starting where I left off. This issue went all the way up the channels.
Since august. I haven’t hear anything about the VA “cracking down” on it. It’s your legal right to reset back to 100% if you have 36 months of GI and you use 10 months of it, you’re above 50%. You reset back to 100%.

Since august. I haven’t hear anything about the VA “cracking down” on it. It’s your legal right to reset back to 100% if you have 36 months of GI and you use 10 months of it, you’re above 50%. You reset back to 100%.
I'm interested in where that's written because it doesn't say anything about that in what I've been able to find.

I'm interested in where that's written because it doesn't say anything about that in what I've been able to find.
Then someone at the VA is BSing you. I’ve never heard of the reset unless you’re less than 50% total allotted GI Bill time. Doesn’t matter what facility. OJT is OJT.

Then someone at the VA is BSing you. I’ve never heard of the reset unless you’re less than 50% total allotted GI Bill time. Doesn’t matter what facility. OJT is OJT.
Just search the threads on here. You'll get both answers. Luck of the draw I guess.

I've also heard (maybe on here or reddit) of the VA recently requesting repayment from the people who were incorrectly given 100%

Edit: a response from the thread I posted about this a couple weeks back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024_210532.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024_210532.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21
Just search the threads on here. You'll get both answers. Luck of the draw I guess.

I've also heard (maybe on here or reddit) of the VA recently requesting repayment from the people who were incorrectly given 100%

I’d argue the 50%. Every time I fight, I win. They don’t like my district congresswoman’s VA liaison calling them :)

And I didn’t mean to come off hostile and I apologize if I did. I just despise when vets aren’t getting and or utilizing their rights.

And I didn’t mean to come off hostile and I apologize if I did. I just despise when vets aren’t getting and or utilizing their rights.
All good man. Would like some clarification from the FAA/Natca/VA on the issue. Because there was pretty much a line drawn at my facility. People that were in training 12 months ago started at 100% and my group started at where they left off.

Pasted below is a text I got from a buddy a few days ago. Seems relevant. We’re both recent cpc it transfers to higher level facilities. I’m still waiting to hear how mine is going to start but this is a good first step.

So just talked to a VA GI Bill person. I explained that my pay won't go up until I'm fully certified. He said that they would need a letter from the program administrator validating that my pay will not increase until certification. And that should keep me at the 100% level for the benefit. So that's at least a start. I'll let you know how it goes.

it’s because they went below 50%. I’m literally parroting the VA. Call them and ask for yourself.

The Union attorney and VA both said it doesn't go back to 100%. I've talked to both. The union representative even said those that go back to 100%, if caught by the VA will owe that money back and they have gone after some. Nor does it say in any documentation that you go back to 100%, in fact it says the opposite.

This is what the VA said when I asked:

VA answer.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom