RNO

I just left RNO, the airport isn't bad though when I left the success rate on here is not the actual one. I believe since 2018 they've washed 70% of the people that have come through, though it is largely due to poor trainee quality/poor trainers. That's if my math is correct but only 3 certified out of an overall 10 for 2018-2021. I haven't included the 4/5 poor souls going through training at this moment.

Last person to washout was at 20hrs on GC/FD, if you have any specific questions just let me know.

Chronically shortstaffed prior to COVID, multiple people who will manipulate their schedule and get others OT/holdovers.
In your opinion then you would say the tower environment there is toxic?
There's a supe that "trains for the TRB" verbatim from that person. Pretty much the trainee had been SET from the classroom multiple times for not being able to do basic stuff. (Reading clearances etc etc) 20 hours into GC/CD/FD combined and they suspended training. TRB concurred for termination, supe documents stuff for the TRB.

Both. Of course not all, but a select few in terms of OJTI and a string of NEST and PrevExp that weren't up to par to begin with.
Should I be expecting to be under a microscope then? The op count didn’t seem anything crazy and I’ve been working mixed airframes for a while so I guess i’ll just have to be squeaky clean on my knowledge lol.

In your opinion then you would say the tower environment there is toxic?

Should I be expecting to be under a microscope then? The op count didn’t seem anything crazy and I’ve been working mixed airframes for a while so I guess i’ll just have to be squeaky clean on my knowledge lol.

It was at one point extremely toxic, it has gotten significantly better over the last year or so. Just do your due diligence and it'll be fine. Some people can be assholes for no reason.

Training wise is extremely stringent to the .65 and local procedures, and there is a microscope during the first parts of training but there isn't too much to know. The worst part is a lot of people don't necessarily know the .65 and believe their technique is gospel. Hashing it out between the training team and supe is the best way forward for conflicting OJTIs. Own your training there.

There's a supe that "trains for the TRB" verbatim from that person. Pretty much the trainee had been SET from the classroom multiple times for not being able to do basic stuff. (Reading clearances etc etc) 20 hours into GC/CD/FD combined and they suspended training. TRB concurred for termination, supe documents stuff for the TRB.

It’s difficult for me to admit but I’m going to say that I like this supervisor. Sorry.

Too many trainees get recycled because supervisors do a poor job and the trainers are forced to suffer as that person gets more hours. Happens again and again across the NAS.

Then sometimes said person makes it, and is a drag on the facility for years to come. I’m all for trimming the fat.

Back
Top Bottom