Transferring before CPC

At my facility I keep getting passed over for training. After completing the tower I was sent to RTF so I could start in radar, but upon returning I was then told a week before in-house class that other have been slid in front. There are more people that are CPC-IT that are transferring in and so I feel like this is going to be an endless cycle. I’d prefer not to be stuck as a D2 my career.
Should I do something and transfer or just suck it up.
I do have 10 years military radar experience, but obviously no one cares because it’s not FAA. I also don’t want to transfer to a tower only.

At my facility I keep getting passed over for training. After completing the tower I was sent to RTF so I could start in radar, but upon returning I was then told a week before in-house class that other have been slid in front. There are more people that are CPC-IT that are transferring in and so I feel like this is going to be an endless cycle. I’d prefer not to be stuck as a D2 my career.
I do have 10 years military radar experience, but obviously no one cares because it’s not FAA. I also don’t want to transfer to a tower only.
Idk if i would be posting this here especially with your picture on your profile.

You're at a level 8 highly desired facility.

You can withdraw but you run risk
1. You can be fired
2. You can be sent to alaska fss
3. You will be sent to an 4,5 or 6 tower and possibly in the middle of nowhere where your situation will be 10x worse. You wont just be sent to another 8 or higher facility.
4. Withdrawing is still a training failure. If you go somewhere next and wash again you will run the possibility of again being fired.

Stick it out and finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these threads miss key details.

Such as: How long have you been passed over, how long have you been at the facility, dates and amount of people who passed you, when you started training, how long it took you, average training times, amount of new trainees, did you lose your medical anytime during training, did you go to a review board or into extended hours the first time, are the cpc-it people going to be quick checkouts, etcetera etcetera.

I can’t even begin to offer “good” advice because I don’t know if you have a legit complaint, or are just bitching….

So here’s some free: the reality is the only time it’s worth to transfer as a developmental is if you are at a super toxic facility, anything else is probably a bad move. Especially since it probably would involve the NEST; i.e. welcome to ACK.

Upon further review; It appears you have been at your facility not quite 2 years, with an average checkout time of 1.5 years. While it sucks to get passed by, Covid has screwed up a lot of facilities, not just yours. I think you are bitching more then anything else.

You are probably in better shape once you could get checked out at that facility then 90% of the NAS in terms of ability to transfer and being at a decent spot.

Last edited:
All of these threads miss key details.

Such as: How long have you been passed over, how long have you been at the facility, dates and amount of people who passed you, when you started training, how long it took you, average training times, amount of new trainees, did you lose your medical anytime during training, did you go to a review board or into extended hours the first time, are the cpc-it people going to be quick checkouts, etcetera etcetera.

I can’t even begin to offer “good” advice because I don’t know if you have a legit complaint, or are just bitching….

So here’s some free: the reality is the only time it’s worth to transfer as a developmental is if you are at a super toxic facility, anything else is probably a bad move. Especially since it probably would involve the NEST; i.e. welcome to ACK.

Upon further review; It appears you have been at your facility not quite 2 years, with an average checkout time of 1.5 years. While it sucks to get passed by, Covid has screwed up a lot of facilities, not just yours. I think you are bitching more then anything else.

You are probably in better shape once you could get checked out at that facility then 90% of the NAS in terms of ability to transfer and being at a decent spot.
Lawrence Guy Reaction GIF by New England Patriots

Transferring before getting CPC is nearly impossible without withdrawing from training. ERRs from trainees are only considered after all CPC ERRs have been reviewed, same with swaps. Suck it up and wait your turn. Talk to your fac rep or training rep about why you are getting skipped for in house classes.

I can’t even transfer as a CPC so your chances probably aren’t good.

I can’t even transfer as a CPC so your chances probably aren’t good.
No but did you factor in that he has radar experience and his training has been delayed? I don't think either one of those applies to you so his circumstances are very different.

Just tough it out man. I have cpc at a 12 tracon and 8 tower and there are some level 5’s that would probably try to wash me. Not worth the hassle.

Hope your situation gets better man, understand training frustrations, only thing you can do is talk about it with your NATCA rep, and if you don't like their response move it up higher. Everyone will tell you you're just bitching and that it happens to everyone or that its just covid, but you gotta stick up for yourself number one.

Why would a level 5 try to wash you? Curious
Don’t know or care to find out. Some 5’s out there have 30-40% success rates and shitty training programs. I’ve talked to enough low level up down people to know a good amount of them think 12’s are nothing but canned and organized traffic.

Why would a level 5 try to wash you? Curious
People that have been there their whole career think: they know everything, they analyse the .65 in-depth, they war game every possible scenario and expect trainees to have a complete and wholesome understanding of the .65 (even sections that do not apply to the facility), combined with the absolute worst “we need to wait until they see seasonal traffic.”

People that have been there their whole career think: they know everything, they analyse the .65 in-depth, they war game every possible scenario and expect trainees to have a complete and wholesome understanding of the .65 (even sections that do not apply to the facility), combined with the absolute worst “we need to wait until they see seasonal traffic.”
Yeah, fuck these guys. When they tell me the book says what I’m doing is wrong, I’ve been doing this longer than your career sir. When I hear we are getting someone from a level 5, I cringe. Knowing they all have nothing better to do than quiz each other on .65 all day. That’s a sad career. I don’t know oceanic rules, nor will I ever. Doesn’t apply to me.

Back
Top Bottom