Turning 31

Wezzel12

Lurker
I want to apply to this OTS bid this weekend but will be turning 31 in January. Do I just need to apply for the position or get an offer letter before my birthday?

My understanding is you need an offer letter prior to turning 31. There was only the one bid that they're still being sued over that the FAA allowed people to go past 31 only for having applied to that bid.

My understanding is you need an offer letter prior to turning 31. There was only the one bid that they're still being sued over that the FAA allowed people to go past 31 only for having applied to that bid.

I thought on some forums that you just had to apply before your 31st birthday, but reading this job posting it sounds like you actually need to be hired before that date. So I guess when are you officially considered an employee and hired? When you get a TOL, FOL, or actually step foot in OKC and sign paperwork?

Fairly certain that if you get a TOL as long as all of your clearances go through you'll be fine. Just applying to the bid or taking the AT-SA doesn't satisfy anything. You must at least receive a TOL.

Fairly certain that if you get a TOL as long as all of your clearances go through you'll be fine. Just applying to the bid or taking the AT-SA doesn't satisfy anything. You must at least receive a TOL.

But do you think they would tell me I’m too old? Or do you think I could get all the way to OKC and then be turned away, assuming I go through the process and turn 31 during it.

Your age gets locked upon receiving a TOL. In the past they’ve had people in the academy older than 31 bc the process took so long. They also tended to hurry up the process a bit to get someone a TOL if you were close to aging out. Just apply and go from there.

Read the bid and see. There have been bids in the past where you age was locked when the bid closed, other bids your age was locked when you got a TOL, other bids your age was locked when you got a FOL. You have to actually read what you are applying for...

“A maximum age of 30 years is established for initial entry into air traffic control positions covered by Public Law 92-297. Persons who have reached their 31st birthday may not be originally appointed to these positions.”

So when is entry into the position considered? Or when are you appointed to the position?

“A maximum age of 30 years is established for initial entry into air traffic control positions covered by Public Law 92-297. Persons who have reached their 31st birthday may not be originally appointed to these positions.”

So when is entry into the position considered? Or when are you appointed to the position?
Worst case scenario, your age will lock in when you get a TOL. You'll be fine.

A guy in my class in 2008 turned 31 during the academy. If I remember correctly, it was the FOL before 31.

I want to apply to this OTS bid this weekend but will be turning 31 in January. Do I just need to apply for the position or get an offer letter before my birthday?
You can't be 31 before the close of the bid. It was part of the overhaul in 2016.

I applied to the bid in 2016. It stated I had to have my application in and not be 31 by October 15, 2016. I turned 31 in November. I made it in and started in April and I’m 32. As long as you meet the deadline they give, you’re fine. I stressed the whole time about being too old, but there’s a few of us in my class that are 31 and 32.

Back
Top Bottom