Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Anyone here who can DM me? I have some questions about the operation.
I know nothing about the operation. However I have spent a lot of time in that area. If you move there, it’s one of the only legal easy spots in the country/world for BASE jumping.

Cool 486’ bridge on the edge of town where no one cares if you jump off of it. If you want a nice high before work, it’s a great hobby.

I know nothing about the operation. However I have spent a lot of time in that area. If you move there, it’s one of the only legal easy spots in the country/world for BASE jumping.

Cool 486’ bridge on the edge of town where no one cares if you jump off of it. If you want a nice high before work, it’s a great hobby.
Haha not interested in going there, and I'm not ballsy enough to go base jumping. I'm just intrigued because I'd love to look into changing my facility's hours and hopefully the staffing number to something very similar. A target of 9 seems very low. I'm curious if they have 2 positions (tower and radar) open that whole time. HLN is a similar situation with a target of 10 which would also be welcomed with open arms.

Haha not interested in going there, and I'm not ballsy enough to go base jumping. I'm just intrigued because I'd love to look into changing my facility's hours and hopefully the staffing number to something very similar. A target of 9 seems very low. I'm curious if they have 2 positions (tower and radar) open that whole time. HLN is a similar situation with a target of 10 which would also be welcomed with open arms.
Good luck getting your target number decreased. Almost impossible but they sure will shove it to you by increasing it so that nobody ever leaves.

Good luck getting your target number decreased. Almost impossible but they sure will shove it to you by increasing it so that nobody ever leaves.
A man can dream can't he? Natca doesn't even like me talking about this sacrilege but like 90% of the controllers here would welcome it with open arms

A man can dream can't he? Natca doesn't even like me talking about this sacrilege but like 90% of the controllers here would welcome it with open arms
So many controllers in so many slow facilities want this and fight for it but as it was said it’s almost impossible. The overall staffing number can not change. So if you wanted to decrease by 2 for example, you would need to find a partner wanting to go up by 2. And in each facility the ATM and NATCA would each have to want it. And they you would have to show at least some empirical evidence that it’s justified.

The tower has LC/GC/CD and a CIC position, but 99% of the time the records show LC/GC/CD combined with one person working it, and the only time there is a stand alone CIC is if a sup is up there or if there is a newly certified controller up there not yet qualified on CIC for example.

So many controllers in so many slow facilities want this and fight for it but as it was said it’s almost impossible. The overall staffing number can not change. So if you wanted to decrease by 2 for example, you would need to find a partner wanting to go up by 2. And in each facility the ATM and NATCA would each have to want it. And they you would have to show at least some empirical evidence that it’s justified.

The tower has LC/GC/CD and a CIC position, but 99% of the time the records show LC/GC/CD combined with one person working it, and the only time there is a stand alone CIC is if a sup is up there or if there is a newly certified controller up there not yet qualified on CIC for example.
Yeah that makes sense. I think the problem is that we could definitely produce the data that we're not needed at all. We'd gladly give up a few from our staffing number (say 2 or 3) and give it to zny (lord knows they need it, have you seen their projected since the new training data dropped and their success went to 22%? Yikes!) for taking the airspace for those few extra hours of 0.5 radar ops/hour. But it doesn't make sense for the agency to trade 3 low paying jobs for 3 high paying ones. It only makes to reduce the hours and staffing number completely but then natca would be complicit in destroying good paying union jobs which is where the problem lies. The politics in this field blows.

P.s. sorry to the mod who will inevitability have to move these posts to the shoot the breeze thread as we've gone down a rabbit hole that has less and less to do with TWF and HLN

I used to work here. LC/GC combined, Non-radar approach/CD combined and the senior controller usually CIC or whoever of the two has lower CIC hours. Typically only two people up there in cab 90% of the time. Know when I was leaving a few years ago they were talking about maybe getting another sup position that would have them up in the cab a little more often or at least have someone from management there after 4-5 when the ATM left. At least that is how it used to be run.

Think about it this way. If you get your staffing number reduced do you think the FAA would just add those extra slots you gave up to another facility? HELL NO THEY WOULDN'T!! Other facilities would keep their current numbers and your current facility would have less people. Sure you could release a few extra bodies at the next NCEPT panel, but think about your NATCA brothers and sisters you left behind that have to work short and longer on position. YOU NEVER VOLUNTEER TO REDUCE STAFFING, EVER!

Think about it this way. If you get your staffing number reduced do you think the FAA would just add those extra slots you gave up to another facility? HELL NO THEY WOULDN'T!! Other facilities would keep their current numbers and your current facility would have less people. Sure you could release a few extra bodies at the next NCEPT panel, but think about your NATCA brothers and sisters you left behind that have to work short and longer on position. YOU NEVER VOLUNTEER TO REDUCE STAFFING, EVER!
Now you think about it this way... the FAA has a limited number of resources and capacity to hire controllers and distribute them throughout the NAS. They're never going to fully staff the NAS so it's not like they it would cost any controllers jobs per se. Even if it did, it's negligible in the big picture of things. I'm not advocating for the controllers left behind to work short, I want to reduce the hours at the facility so less man hours are required, therefore requiring less people. Starting at my facility is detrimental to the careers of those who want to advance there careers. The lack of traffic inadequately prepares people for their next facility and the lack of releases and people realizing they are wasting away their years with the most potential because they can't get released is a real morale killer. The union should be looking out for the best interest of the current controllers careers and future controllers by subjecting as few members as possible to this. If we can get our staffing down and spare some unknowing ag the same fate we've endured, that's a win in my book.

Now you think about it this way... the FAA has a limited number of resources and capacity to hire controllers and distribute them throughout the NAS. They're never going to fully staff the NAS so it's not like they it would cost any controllers jobs per se. Even if it did, it's negligible in the big picture of things. I'm not advocating for the controllers left behind to work short, I want to reduce the hours at the facility so less man hours are required, therefore requiring less people. Starting at my facility is detrimental to the careers of those who want to advance there careers. The lack of traffic inadequately prepares people for their next facility and the lack of releases and people realizing they are wasting away their years with the most potential because they can't get released is a real morale killer. The union should be looking out for the best interest of the current controllers careers and future controllers by subjecting as few members as possible to this. If we can get our staffing down and spare some unknowing ag the same fate we've endured, that's a win in my book.
I agree, why protect jobs if they are garbage jobs nobody wants? Or maybe they are jobs 5-6 people want from that home town. Ok, then move the tracon or reduce the staffing number, it will leave 9 people left or so to work the tower only and they can stay and work.

I used to work here. LC/GC combined, Non-radar approach/CD combined and the senior controller usually CIC or whoever of the two has lower CIC hours. Typically only two people up there in cab 90% of the time. Know when I was leaving a few years ago they were talking about maybe getting another sup position that would have them up in the cab a little more often or at least have someone from management there after 4-5 when the ATM left. At least that is how it used to be run.
Did they still schedule 2 people for a shift, so 8 hours on position when you were there? I know it used to be a thing

Back
Top Bottom