Various questions about work schedules

ycmab

When considering working as an enroute controller, the "scrambler" schedule seems like the largest downside to me. It might be the most miserable schedule conceivable. I've heard from several controllers that it wears them down, especially as they get older.

Is there any way to avoid this schedule as an enroute controller? Is there any effort among the controllers/union to implement more consistent schedules?

After the academy, while you're still in training at a center, do you start with the scrambler schedule immediately or do you have consistent hours?

Are things different in the terminal world or do most terminal controllers have rotating schedules too?

When considering working as an enroute controller, the "scrambler" schedule seems like the largest downside to me. It might be the most miserable schedule conceivable. I've heard from several controllers that it wears them down, especially as they get older.

Is there any way to avoid this schedule as an enroute controller? Is there any effort among the controllers/union to implement more consistent schedules?

After the academy, while you're still in training at a center, do you start with the scrambler schedule immediately or do you have consistent hours?

Are things different in the terminal world or do most terminal controllers have rotating schedules too?
Between the pay, pension, tsp-matching, health insurance, life insurance, early retirement, annual/sick leave, etc, there is a lot to love about this job, but it comes at a price. Being a 24/7/365 environment, the schedule is the downside. You will work holidays, you will miss your kids sporting events, etc.

In the Enroute environment, your odds of avoiding it at the bottom of seniority are slim to none. There are people who work straight mids, but a lot will depend on which center and what area you end up at. There is not an effort by the union/controllers to implement consistent schedules. The majority actually prefer it.

Right after the academy you'll enter stage II of training at your center, you'll be on admin hours M-F from 8-4:30. Once you progress through training and hit the floor, your schedule will begin to fluctuate.

Things are different in the terminal world based on where you end up. Most lower level terminal options are not 24/7. Each year they'll create a schedule. Some facilities have fixed weeks that rotate down (this week you're 10pm-6am, next week you're 2pm-10pm, next week you're 10am-6pm, etc.)

Having come from the 9-5 world, I love our schedule. You're not fighting traffic for the majority of your shifts, the schedule fluctuates to extend your weekend, (Ex. Your shifts end at 6am on Sat, but you don't have to be at work until 2pm on Tuesday), and you can get all your errands done while other people are working to avoid the crowds.

Last edited:

At my facility when you hit the floor the schedule will generally be 1pm /1pm/ 7am/ 7am/ 7am. Once you certify it will be 3pm/1pm/7am/6am qt to a 10pm mid.

I understand the missing holidays, events, etc. -- it's clearly necessary to run a 24/7/365 operation. But it's not strictly necessary to have a shift that changes every day of the week. It seems insanely inconvenient and unhealthy to never develop a consistent sleep cycle.

I understand the missing holidays, events, etc. -- it's clearly necessary to run a 24/7/365 operation. But it's not strictly necessary to have a shift that changes every day of the week. It seems insanely inconvenient and unhealthy to never develop a consistent sleep cycle.
Pretty much. That's why when the guys who retire come back and visit they say how much more energy they have and how much better they feel having regular sleep LOL .. get ready for 20+ years of it, even though people like to complain about it no one actually wants to change it.

Largely, your sleep cycle is what you make it. Mine doesn't alter too much throughout the week. Work either becomes the first thing I do in the day or the last thing.

As your schedule/sleep cycle appear to be high priorities, there are plenty of avenues available for you to pursue as a controller. There are a number of reasons people transfer and choose to be at lower level towers. Quality of life is a big one. There are plenty that are open 14 hours a day that could provide you with a more consistent schedule.

Well, technically the best schedule for fatigue mitigation is to start on a mid and work backwards through the rotation, or so I’ve heard.

Then again, cops, nurses and other shift workers endure the same thing.

I’d say there is zero chance that if you go to a center you will not have some rotation. Also, you probably will be enjoying Wednesday / Thursday off for some time if you check out, since, well, seniority-

A straight schedule sounds good until you realize 2/3 of the employees will be on straight swings or straight mid shifts. I don’t know about you guys, but when I have a 1 pm shift I don’t get much done before work (normally) and getting off at 9 doesn’t leave time to do much besides eat and head to bed. Straight mids would be terrible, you wouldn’t stay proficient only working light traffic (yes there are exceptions). And you’d sleep the day away. The only perk to a mid besides being away from management and an easier shift is that you can get a 3 day weekend out of it. After my mid I usually am up by 9am and stay busy through the day to make sure I’m tired enough to sleep that night.

There really isn’t a better option for the shifts we have to cover. For half of 2017 I was able to do 3 day shifts into 2 mid shifts and enjoyed that a lot. But I would not want straight anything.

I had almost a year of "straight mids" first day was 0615-1415 then 4 2245-0645. it was brutal on the first day, but the consistent sleep every single day after was well worth it. not to mention the ~16% pay increase for night dif, and much more CIC time. I slept every day from 8 am to 4 pm and was wide awake for time when my friends were off work, could go to dinner or shows and have a social life...I was also sun/mon off so that helped a bunch too. I ended up coming off of them after about 9 months because my skill was deteriorating, and we had a huge influx of trainees, and I felt I needed to help carry the load of OJT.
the schedule can suck for some, and be great for some, its all in how you prioritize your sleep, and look on the bright side of it, focus on the pros, not the cons.

Or you can work at a non 24 hr facility and work 4 straight 545 TEN hr shifts... Spoiled for sure...

The FAA came down hard on pilot schedules for fatigue in part 117. It is conceivable they will come down on ATC for the same thing at some point.

The FAA came down hard on pilot schedules for fatigue in part 117. It is conceivable they will come down on ATC for the same thing at some point.
Much like anything else in the agency it'll take a mass fatality accident for them to way overreact to before they do anything.

The faa isn't going to do shit. When those guys fell asleep on the mid the FAA's answer was to bump it up to requiring 9 hours between shifts starting on consecutive days, but still only require 8 hours between shifts starting on the same day, which is what you do on your first mid. If they were going to do anything for fatigue mitigation they would have done it then.

Dont worry about fatigue, they make you watch CBTs yearly to tell you not to do all they things they make you do. :zzz:

Rattlers are bad! Here check the schedule the next 3 pay periods that's all you got and a quick turn ot shift to boot!

Back
Top Bottom