Veteran preference

Char Pop

Lurker
Does veteran preference help you get a TLO or just help me get in to take the ATSA like if I do pretty good but not great on the ATSA (logical reasoning was BS) does veteran preference help me get into the academy or just to take the test?

Does veteran preference help you get a TLO or just help me get in to take the ATSA like if I do pretty good but not great on the ATSA (logical reasoning was BS) does veteran preference help me get into the academy or just to take the test?
Per the last announcement:

APPLICANT POOLS
POOL 1 - All U.S. Citizens who also meet the following Pool 1 eligibility criteria:

Applicants MUST meet one of the following criteria (1, 2, OR 3) listed below, and MUST provide supporting documentation (see Required Documents and Education sections) in order to be eligible for consideration in Pool 1.
2. A veteran eligible for a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) pursuant to section 4214 of Title 38 and can provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days from the announcement closing.
3. An eligible veteran maintaining aviation experience obtained in the course of your military experience and/or entitled to veterans' preference (must meet eligibility requirements in section 2108 of Title 5, United States Code) and can provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days from the announcement closing.
NOTE for 2 & 3: MUST SUBMIT: DD-214 with character of service in block 24 OR written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the close date this announcement. Applicants who are not within 120 days of separation will be assessed as non-preference eligibles.

POOL 2 - All U.S. Citizens
Pool 2 applicants are all other U.S. Citizens not meeting the requirements for Pool 1, OR Pool 1 eligibles who elect to be considered for Pool 2.
Pool 2 applicants do not have an option to elect to be considered for Pool 1.
Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) eligible applicants:
  • Disabled veterans; or
  • Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; or
  • Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; or
  • Recently separated veterans (defined as; within the last 3 years).
Veterans claiming eligibility on the basis of service in a campaign or expedition for which a medal was awarded must be in receipt of the campaign badge or medal.
In addition to meeting the criteria above, eligible veterans must have been separated under honorable conditions (i.e., the individual must have received either an honorable or general discharge). Please also see the section 'All Veterans' at the bottom of this vacancy for further documentation requirements for Veterans.
  • Entrance on Duty Requirements (EOD): If you do not complete all of the pre-employment requirements within 60 days from the date of the Clearance Instruction Letter (CIL), you will be removed from the hiring process for this vacancy. If you are a current military member in active duty service, you must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, or written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the close date of the announcement.
  • Age Requirements: A maximum age of 30 years is established for initial entry into air traffic control positions covered by Public Law 92-297. Persons who have reached their 31st birthday may not be originally appointed to these positions. If experience was gained as a civilian ATCS with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or Department of Defense (DOD), you must have been hired prior to age 31. Please see the Required Documents section of this announcement for further information on specific documentation that MUST be provided if you were previously hired by the FAA or DOD prior to the maximum entry age for this position.

I would also encourage you to apply for the next prior experience bid, should you have 52 weeks post certification on a CTO or Approach (not Final/Arrival/Sector) ticket.

That's not really how it works, but to put it simply, it just gives you a leg up on being selected based on the system the civilian fed government uses to select people for employment. It's the same pretty much across the board for any federal position.

It doesn't really have anything to do with atc it's not bonus points on a test or anything. It's not going to help you at all if you sucked on the atsa or at the academy, though I guess for the atsa if someone hypothetically sucked the same amount as you and didn't have vet pref you'd have a leg up. You take that before the tol right? Been forever and I never had to take it anyways.

That's not really how it works, but to put it simply, it just gives you a leg up on being selected based on the system the civilian fed government uses to select people for employment. It's the same pretty much across the board for any federal position.

It doesn't really have anything to do with atc it's not bonus points on a test or anything. It's not going to help you at all if you sucked on the atsa or at the academy, though I guess for the atsa if someone hypothetically sucked the same amount as you you'd have a leg up. You take that before the tol right? Been forever and I never had to take it anyways.
Yah I took the ATSA today now gotta wait to see if I get a tol i didn’t suck at the ATSA I did really well in all part except for the logical thinking part there’s no way in hell they expect people to do good on that section without an pen and paper

Yah I took the ATSA today now gotta wait to see if I get a tol i didn’t suck at the ATSA I did really well in all part except for the logical thinking part there’s no way in hell they expect people to do good on that section without an pen and paper

I just took it as well and that was literally the hardest part of the exam. I was running out of time and had to guess about half of them. Got me feeling pretty nervous.

Back
Top Bottom