New ATCS Hire, Placement After Academy

Ninefox

Hi everyone! Just received my TOL, and I know I’m still probably a year out from Academy, but I was wondering how likely it would be to go to a certain area after graduation. I’m hoping to be able to stay somewhat near where I live now, for the sake of my wife and her family.

I already have a general understanding of the situation for graduates, but how likely would it be that I could return to the PA area after academy? Hoping for Harrisburg International (MDT), Reading (RDG), or nearby.

Hi everyone! Just received my TOL, and I know I’m still probably a year out from Academy, but I was wondering how likely it would be to go to a certain area after graduation. I’m hoping to be able to stay somewhat near where I live now, for the sake of my wife and her family.

I already have a general understanding of the situation for graduates, but how likely would it be that I could return to the PA area after academy? Hoping for Harrisburg International (MDT), Reading (RDG), or nearby.
Oakland California is the best they can do for you

Oakland California is the best they can do for you
That’s hilarious based off of what I’ve been reading lol

You can literally look in the terminal or enroute class pass rate threads and see what each class is offered. You can’t really get more data than that.
Yeah I have to spend more time digesting it I believe. Just was hoping for some first hand experience from folks who had already been through it I suppose. Thanks for the input Mike

Not very likely, but not impossible. I’d say go through with academy and pass and see what your placement list looks like. It’s possible you could get a facility 1.5 hours away maybe. And if not you could just resign and not select a facility. Just a thought

Not very likely, but not impossible. I’d say go through with academy and pass and see what your placement list looks like. It’s possible you could get a facility 1.5 hours away maybe. And if not you could just resign and not select a facility. Just a thought
Thanks for the reply. We’re still going to go through with it. Can always apply to transfer later anyways, right?

Thanks for the reply. We’re still going to go through with it. Can always apply to transfer later anyways, right?
Haha…yeah. It’s a difficult process. But that’s more doable then getting RDG from the start lol. Take a look at NCEPT thread to get a better idea about transferring. But yeah you have nothing to lose to at least attempt the academy and see where they put you

Haha…yeah. It’s a difficult process. But that’s more doable then getting RDG from the start lol. Take a look at NCEPT thread to get a better idea about transferring. But yeah you have nothing to lose to at least attempt the academy and see where they put you
Thanks for your thoughts! I’m grateful!

Don't be lazy and start a brand new thread just for yourself. Post on an appropriate thread and you're much more likely to get better feedback. All I can say is aim to be top of your class and you'll have top pick of whatever the FAA has available at that time.

Even thinking about placement before making it to the Academy (or even getting thru the hiring process for that matter) is jumping the gun. Everyone wants to work close to home. Very few end up doing so.
True. I understand it’s a bit overboard considering how far out it is for me. Still, I’d rather start planning/coming to terms with it earlier rather than not.

They call me the ATSAP commando
Definitely not the nickname they say behind your back.

To the OP. You're way to early in the process to be worrying about placement. Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No. You have a higher likelihood going to the Academy as an OTS going the enroute track. If that's the case you for sure won't end up in PA. I certainly wish you luck. Just enjoy the ride for now and try to be the best you can to give yourself the best selection when your class gets their list. It's a wild ride.

Last edited:
Definitely not the nickname they say behind your back.

To the OP. You're way to early in the process to be worrying about placement. Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No. You have a higher likelihood going to the Academy as an OTS going the enroute track. If that's the case you for sure won't end up in PA. I certainly wish you luck. Just enjoy the ride for now and try to be the best you can to give yourself the best selection when your class gets their list. It's a wild ride.
On it.

The opportunity to start somewhere specific will all be based on luck and there is nothing you can do or control about that opportunity. Just have to go through the process and decide what you want to do when you are presented with your options at the end of the academy. Transferring after your initial assignment will go about the same way via ncept, etc. As long as you are OK rolling the dice, continue with the process.

I got through the academy last year and got placed on the west coast, grew up on the east coast. The next academy class after me had the facility that was not even 15 miles from my moms house. If you get a facility that’s close to home count yourself among the very very lucky few

Back
Top Bottom